696     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 315     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Some pictures of Willowbrook Yard post eclipse
IMG_8809.jpeg
IMG_8810.jpeg
IMG_8812.jpeg

Do 255 and 256 share door strips? 255 only has the center door strips, while 256 has only outer door strips.

Last edited:
They could've sent it back to Alstom. Proof: Tri-Rail 510 was sent back to Alstom for repair, even though the employee that leaked the information said it was an old style and it would be harder to fix.

They could take the series IX cabs and fit old A ends onto them. I do and don't see why not.
You have to ask yourself though: how would that benefit GO from an operational and safety perspective, and would it be a good use of money that could otherwise go into improving or expanding service on the GO network.

To me I see absolutely no benefit in retrofitting the newer rounder cab cars to look like the older ones (it’s probably not even possible, it’s not a modular design). In fact you’d actively be removing safety features like the improved visibility the newer style of cabs offer for the operating crew, and the CEM features (because you can’t add CEM safety features to the old cabs).

I know there’s a lot of train foamers in this thread, and that’s fine because this is a thread literally dedicated to GO’s equipment; but this is just a crazy and extremely unrealistic idea.

Last edited:
They can, if you retrofit them correctly.
No, you can't.

For one, most of the CEM features on the newest cars are baked into the structure. Which is completely different - they now use a stainless steel frame that the aluminum skin panels are bonded to. And the first 24 inches of the body at either end is designed to crush and crumple in the event of an accident. You can't just retrofit that to the old cars, you would have to tear them apart right to their structure, and make sure that whatever you are adding is compatible with the old - and that the old is even strong enough to withstand it. It doesn't happen.

The new cars also have special "pushback" couplers. Their draft gear takes up a lot more space underneath the car, as it needs to be designed to compress and deform if a force in excess of a set figure is reached. On top of that, they mount differently than the old standard draft gear, and exert the forces differently.

On the cab cars, there is a steel plate that runs from the operator's floor to a point about 16 inches higher, and the full width of the car. This is not specifically a CEM feature, but it is designed to prevent liquids - such as flammable fuel - from entering the cab and passenger compartments.

So, yeah.....no, you can't.

Dan

Back