News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 452     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

I’m still bitter about their exit from Ontario and move to a state with shittier labour laws.
Well that's the thing. Less intensive labour laws equal to more profit. Then again the unions here are extremely strong when it comes to leverage on wages. It made sense for them to move to a place where the unions aren't that strong

So apparently GO studied longer trains for the Milton Line just before COVID hit (which effectively killed that idea). Someone I know has already submitted an ATIP for it; but does anyone know what the proposed length was?

So apparently GO studied longer trains for the Milton Line just before COVID hit (which effectively killed that idea). Someone I know has already submitted an ATIP for it; but does anyone know what the proposed length was?
Considering that with more than 12 cars you would need a second locomotive and would not fit on the platform I don't understand the benefit except for the fact that you would not need to pay for another track slot.

This could be wrong but the chatter I heard from railfans was 16 car trains. Evidently GO’s T4 locos could haul 16 cars fine on its own.

But then you would still need to extend the platforms.
A little asphalt at a few stations wouldn't be expensive. I don't think there's any island platforms on that route. And there's some platform at Union that can already handle 24-car trains.

Would any stations be a particular challenge? (though if there was one or two, many systems operate by not opening all doors at some stations with shorter platforms).

This could be wrong but the chatter I heard from railfans was 16 car trains. Evidently GO’s T4 locos could haul 16 cars fine on its own.

Gotta love railfan rumours. If you don't hear one by noon.....

There are and have been no plans to lengthen trains beyond the current 12 car limit.

Dan

Hear me out hear, how about...

*takes bong hit*

Triple decker... ahem Tri-Level rail cars.

I have advocated for years to do the Tram-Train move from the Milton Line to the Hurontario LRT to get to/from Sq One and this is one of a number of system doing it. It can be done very easy to do it at the Cooksville area. You can add more sections as needed to keep CP happy until there are 4 tracks in the corridor as well a fly-under at the Humber River area.

It would be nice to see it 100% electrify from day one, but battery power is round the corner.

Since there are plans to have 300' LRV's running on Hurontario, it will be no problem to do so on the CP/Metrolinx corridor.

To do it for KW will be a major problem. Better chance with Hamilton or other areas that may go the LRT route.

I have advocated for years to do the Tram-Train move from the Milton Line to the Hurontario LRT to get to/from Sq One and this is one of a number of system doing it. It can be done very easy to do it at the Cooksville area. You can add more sections as needed to keep CP happy until there are 4 tracks in the corridor as well a fly-under at the Humber River area.

It would be nice to see it 100% electrify from day one, but battery power is round the corner.

Since there are plans to have 300' LRV's running on Hurontario, it will be no problem to do so on the CP/Metrolinx corridor.

To do it for KW will be a major problem. Better chance with Hamilton or other areas that may go the LRT route.
But you can't run LRT's in mixed traffic with heavy rail. Need a FRA waver. If there is ever a head on collision do you want to be sitting in the LRT cab?

But you can't run LRT's in mixed traffic with heavy rail. Need a FRA waver. If there is ever a head on collision do you want to be sitting in the LRT cab?
I would love to die in the cab > (Laughing) lol kidding. Don’t say “do you want to be sitting in the LRT cab?” No one wants to be in that cab. That would be terrible.

If the LRT's stay weak then it will die with its passengers inside if it hit an average American sized train. The LRT may be cute an all but it's needs to start working out and gaining muscles

Back