News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

lol...you really have to wonder if they shouldn't post a sign warning of "low ceiling" when entering.

So it's the lower deck...kinda makes sense, more seats on top. This may be morose, but you have to wonder about accidents and safe evacuation...

how low is the ceiling on the lower level?
It's a good question, and a cursory Google search shows no answers for the newest ones, but does for what must be the earliest Alexander-Dennis DDs used by GO:
Lower deck headroom is 6 feet, 9 inches. Upper deck interior space is just under 5 feet, 8 inches, so standing is not permitted. Standard Canadian highway double deckers measure 12 feet tall. Some Nova models measure 10.3 feet tall, while Alberta’s hybrids are 10.7 feet tall.
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/big-doubledecker-bus-100548.html

By deduction of the comments from Shon and APTA, (gist) "the upper level now taller than lower", the newest lower must be less than "5 feet, 8 inches"...although the author of this piece doesn't reference his sources. Even 5 feet, 8 inches is pretty damn low. I could just barely fit into the second gen w/o cocking my head, and I'm not tall, albeit on the tall side of average. I remember watching others getting on, mostly university students, and seeing them cock their heads to clear.

If someone could source actual figures, it would prove interesting.

Sorry to bump the thread, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about the rumours that GO Transit was restoring an old single level coach that it bought back from AMT for its 50th anniversary? I've done a bit of digging and found nothing.

I've been digging on the entire fleet still with GO, or reacquired, let alone the number refurbished. Can find nothing, but know that there's info somewhere. It's a very good question!

That coach is already on the property. It's the original C104. Seen with my own eyes at Willowbrook (on the VIA side, actually).

- Paul
Here it is on a webpage, but can't find a trace on-line since:
C754

1967 67-85-0240 AMT 1994
https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=GO_Transit_Single-Level_cars

Just reading further on that list, six of those control cab cars were "renovated for high level platforms", 32 altogether with the trailers. (All for Boston)

Very interesting....I know there's approx six of them re-acquired from the US sitting un-refurbished on the sidings in North Bay surplus to need for the Polar Bear Express reno project.

I also wonder if VIA are taking a close look while it's on their side of the yards? Halifax is beckoning...

See: http://www.nugget.ca/2014/11/18/long-planned-onr-work-goes-ahead

Last edited:
I found this posting on MERX, great to see the project moving along! Looks like it will be on permanent display. With the reference to the Toronto Railway Museum, I am thinking it might be on display there? I think that would be a really great place - in a busy public area. I'm personally going to hold off posting this on Twitter, as I think it is something that would be best left as a surprise.

GO TRANSIT COACH REFURBISHMENT PROJECT CALL FOR DONATIONS

Request No. EI-2017-BD-001

GO Transit 50th Anniversary Coach Restoration Project

Metrolinx, through this Call for Donations, is seeking donors that can support the refurbishment project by providing donations for the restoration. All donations will be used for the restoration of the coach, construction of the permanent exhibit and creation of the displays in the coach. Funds raised greater than those needed will be donated to the Toronto Railway Museum in recognition of the all the generous support received for this project.

It is the Proponent’s responsibility to ensure receipt of copies of all addenda issued. Information concerning the number of addenda issued and the date of issue of the most recent addendum can be found at www.metrolinx.merx.com

Request enquiries and other communications are to be directed to Rachael Yiu at (416) 202-5551 or e-mail Rachael.Yiu@metrolinx.com.

Responses to the Request for Donations will be accepted until 3:00 p.m. on Monday, May 1, 2017 via e-mail to commercial.opp@metrolinx.com

Proponents must download the RFI documents from MERX in order for their submission to be considered. Metrolinx reserves the right to reject any or all Submissions at its sole discretion.

I found this posting on MERX, great to see the project moving along! Looks like it will be on permanent display. With the reference to the Toronto Railway Museum, I am thinking it might be on display there? I think that would be a really great place - in a busy public area.
Excellent find! I do have a concern that if it is still tractable, it should be a moving display, not static. Also the term "refurbishment" as opposed to "restored" indicates it will be renewed, and going by what the ONR shops have done with theirs, there's still a lot of life left in at least some of the examples.

It appears Metrolinx now own it, as the earlier references alluded to it being 'loaned' from AMT. It's still very hard to believe it's been fifty years...I'm amazed there hasn't been more media on this project. I've been digging on and off for a while on this.

Last edited:
I found this posting on MERX, great to see the project moving along! Looks like it will be on permanent display. With the reference to the Toronto Railway Museum, I am thinking it might be on display there? I think that would be a really great place - in a busy public area. I'm personally going to hold off posting this on Twitter, as I think it is something that would be best left as a surprise.

GO TRANSIT COACH REFURBISHMENT PROJECT CALL FOR DONATIONS

They were trying to keep this a surprise - they'd had someone at head office contacting employees past and present as well as others "in the know" to see if anyone had anything to donate. Considering her demeanor, I'm not surprised that they've had to go public.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They were trying to keep this a surprise - they'd had someone at head office contacting employees past and present as well as others "in the know" to see if anyone had anything to donate. Considering her demeanor, I'm not surprised that they've had to go public.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Yeah I do understand the desire to keep it a surprise. Because of the "call for donations" (RFD?) on MERX I posted it here, but I personally am going to try to help GO on this one and keep it quiet otherwise.

Surprise for whom? Putting out a "call for donations" and "surprise" are mutually exclusive. What surprises me is that (as far as can be determined) an application for a 'Canada 150th' fund grant or similar from Ontario hasn't been made. It would have been totally apt to have the ONR workshop, who have all the drawings and know-how on these coaches, to have done at least a basic refurbishment/restoration, and the cost of doing-so stones two birds with one kill, the ONR workshop is looking for work.

Whatever, I'm delighted that this example will be kept.

upload_2017-4-5_11-9-23.png

1059-0%20Cour%20Taschereau%20Departure.jpg

8077744665_b1bf471f8c_c[1].jpg

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rslist.aspx?id=SFG&aid=M500

[The tourist train consists of two ex-AMT, nee-CN steam generator cars converted for use as HEP generator cars, three ex-AMT, nee-GO single level coaches, all painted for the tourist train. RS-18u 1849 was also retrofitted and painted for use with the tourist train.]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Société_de_chemin_de_fer_de_la_Gaspésie#Passenger_Service_on_the_Gaspe_Railway

I believe these are all redundant as IIRC, two DMU trains are doing the route now. I say make an effort to get all three of the ex-GO coaches! (Correction: I was confusing the line on the north shore which was using at least one of the H-S coaches, now redundant, for their ski train)( Le Train du Massif de Charlevoix )

Quite a few articles on the ONR refurbs, best pics at:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...ar-bear-express-train-gets-facelift-1.2839330

http://www.country600.com/2016/08/1...rbished-polar-bear-express-passenger-coaches/

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-5_11-9-23.png
    upload_2017-4-5_11-9-23.png
    49.2 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
The classic GO Transit coach is at the Toronto Railway Museum now. (picture source = tweet)

Here are some pictures I shot last night of it at Willowbrook before it was moved. I also Tweeted them out here and here.
Wow! It's in incredible shape, at least externally. Looks like they had to do some panel work though to get that finish. Love to read the story on the restoration. Great pics.

Back