News   Jul 15, 2024
 405     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 562     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 565     0 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

^thats certianly a possibility.

What I have noticed for the first time is mention of the costs of the various extensions the province announced last year.. RER project has jumped from the base $13.5 billion to over $21 billion now with the Niagara, Bowmanville, and Kitchener service expansions. I imagine that cost includes some pretty pennies for the bypass.. which I also suspect will come in under $5 billion as it does not appear CP will be participating.

^thats certianly a possibility.

What I have noticed for the first time is mention of the costs of the various extensions the province announced last year.. RER project has jumped from the base $13.5 billion to over $21 billion now with the Niagara, Bowmanville, and Kitchener service expansions. I imagine that cost includes some pretty pennies for the bypass.. which I also suspect will come in under $5 billion as it does not appear CP will be participating.
I was thinking The Missing Link actually...and CP will dance if the band is playing the right instruments.

Note the map from Momin's update:
26069-91039.jpg

Also note the typo from QP:
"pleading" when they meant "pledging"...Ouch!

thats what I meant by the bypass (freight bypass)
My mistake, sorry, but to re-iterate, CP will be made an offer 'they can't refuse'....literally, they know the Railway Act and Relocations Act have the powers to make them comply. Better they go along peaceably. They will benefit greatly from doing so, everyone will.

There's also the matter of the O&Q, HFR and electrification. CP will have a golden opportunity to dance nicely for both occassions. An alternate (albeit probably temporal and non-stacked) freight route to Ottawa and the right for offering freight service to locals will all be part of a much greater rationalization of lines around Toronto.

what I've got from the announcements so far is that the Missing Link will largely only benefit the Kitchener line, as they haven't mentioned the benefit of RER service on the Milton corridor. Which I then take to mean that CP is not cooperating at this time.

Of course that is just an observation and I have no idea what is actually planned.

what I've got from the announcements so far is that the Missing Link will largely only benefit the Kitchener line, as they haven't mentioned the benefit of RER service on the Milton corridor. Which I then take to mean that CP is not cooperating at this time.

Of course that is just an observation and I have no idea what is actually planned.

I would tend to agree with you. So far Milton has been seemingly neglected. I wish that they would at least build the appropriate infrastructure to allow 15-min frequency at least to Cooksville GO for Hurontario LRT connectivity.

I would tend to agree with you. So far Milton has been seemingly neglected. I wish that they would at least build the appropriate infrastructure to allow 15-min frequency at least to Cooksville GO for Hurontario LRT connectivity.

CP has said they will cooperate, its on Metrolinx to come up with a plan.
https://www.insauga.com/could-all-day-two-way-go-be-delayed-until-2041

CP has said they will cooperate, its on Metrolinx to come up with a plan.
https://www.insauga.com/could-all-day-two-way-go-be-delayed-until-2041
I've read and re-read that article, it's interesting, but I can't find where it states your claim. Could you copy and paste it in?

Nothing here either:
http://indiranaidooharris.onmpp.ca/News/13378?rc=l&l=EN

I do believe it is inevitable that CP comes to a pending agreement on The Link, but it might be a month or so until we read something more definitive on it.

Let's flip this over for the sake of argument, ditto with Brampton extra tracks: Suppose there are discussions going on right now on the Missing Link, serious ones, and perhaps not even going smoothly in some respects, but the Feds (the only ones with the legal hammer to swing on this, as well as the cash to sweeten it), won't be proposing steps that will suddenly become redundant when the Link becomes extant. Time taken to build the Link? Roughly the same as doing the otherwise necessary improvements on the K/W and Milton lines. There's not much time to be lost by waiting a little longer and getting this right.

I may be wrong, but there might me method to the madness we're seeing on this. What we're reading today (and the next few days) are 'appetizers' for the real meal. We might have to wait even months yet, but the appetizers are served to keep the patrons entertained before the really big ones are announced. And the Feds are talking multi-Billions$ over the next ten years in terms of investment, and that's their money (our taxes) alone. Some $30B (IIRC) is to be used for seed money in the Investment Bank. Apply the leverage ration of 4:1, and that's $150B, mostly for "transportation".

Also bear in mind that the Feds need to show "bargaining in good faith" to potential investors in terms of 'priming the investments' for a more specific large project to be easier to define and negotiate as a result of many smaller steps.

Keep your fingers crossed, and enjoy those appetizers. I think the movie is about to start.

Last edited:
The Metrolinx graphic in the news story showing which cities have RER shows only one city in North America - Mexico City. Doesn't New York have RER-type commuter trains? Either way GO is transforming into something that's a rarity on this continent. And federal funding adds some solidity to the plan and makes it more likely to withstand cancellation by a future provincial Conservative government.

The graphic seems pretty conservative in what they consider RER. I'm not sure why Rome was excluded for example.

The Metrolinx graphic in the news story showing which cities have RER shows only one city in North America - Mexico City. Doesn't New York have RER-type commuter trains? Either way GO is transforming into something that's a rarity on this continent. And federal funding adds some solidity to the plan and makes it more likely to withstand cancellation by a future provincial Conservative government.

The graphic seems pretty conservative in what they consider RER. I'm not sure why Rome was excluded for example.

CalTrains in LA was also trying to electrify one of its lines (correct me if I'm wrong) but the Trump administration has cut the funding. Latest article here.

The Metrolinx graphic in the news story showing which cities have RER shows only one city in North America - Mexico City. Doesn't New York have RER-type commuter trains?

Good question. I looked up NJ Transit because I remember Newark airport having a decent connection. It appears that route runs every 10 to 15 minutes from 6am to midnight, but falls down to 20 minute frequencies after midnight. It's also not particularly fast; in fact I'd be pissed if RER ran at that speed.

Long Island Railroad is in that middle-land like Bart or the DC Metro. Is it an infrequent Metro or better than normal commuter rail? It has attributes of both. The better Penn Station lines seem to have 20 minute frequencies in the afternoon.

LIRR, like Chicago Brown Line, has at grade vehicle/pedestrians crossings with 3rd rail power for the trains.

Accela trips run hourly most of the day.

So, no, I'm not finding anything that France would agree is RER. The East Side Access (Main Line third track) project and twin tunnel under the Hudson might change that.

I think ARC was about getting RER type service on a few NJ Transit lines but it got killed.

Last edited:
I've taken Metro North before into Grand Central and it certainly seems to be RER type service. Electrified (though third rail I believe), frequent, all day, etc.

Edit: The line I took is only hourly service. So not quite. I took it from quite far out though, closer to the city (say, White Plains), its much more frequent.

I've read and re-read that article, it's interesting, but I can't find where it states your claim. Could you copy and paste it in?

Nothing here either:
http://indiranaidooharris.onmpp.ca/News/13378?rc=l&l=EN

I do believe it is inevitable that CP comes to a pending agreement on The Link, but it might be a month or so until we read something more definitive on it.

Let's flip this over for the sake of argument, ditto with Brampton extra tracks: Suppose there are discussions going on right now on the Missing Link, serious ones, and perhaps not even going smoothly in some respects, but the Feds (the only ones with the legal hammer to swing on this, as well as the cash to sweeten it), won't be proposing steps that will suddenly become redundant when the Link becomes extant. Time taken to build the Link? Roughly the same as doing the otherwise necessary improvements on the K/W and Milton lines. There's not much time to be lost by waiting a little longer and getting this right.

I may be wrong, but there might me method to the madness we're seeing on this. What we're reading today (and the next few days) are 'appetizers' for the real meal. We might have to wait even months yet, but the appetizers are served to keep the patrons entertained before the really big ones are announced. And the Feds are talking multi-Billions$ over the next ten years in terms of investment, and that's their money (our taxes) alone. Some $30B (IIRC) is to be used for seed money in the Investment Bank. Apply the leverage ration of 4:1, and that's $150B, mostly for "transportation".

Also bear in mind that the Feds need to show "bargaining in good faith" to potential investors in terms of 'priming the investments' for a more specific large project to be easier to define and negotiate as a result of many smaller steps.

Keep your fingers crossed, and enjoy those appetizers. I think the movie is about to start.
It was stated here on the board a while ago, but CP was will to cooperate as long as Metrolinx brought them a plan. They have not yet.

Back