News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The 2011-2012 business plan details the upcoming train increases, this just came up in another thread. Nothing for Milton - the only additional trains will be on Georgetown (Kitchener), Barrie, and Lakeshore East/West ... with the hint of possibly some special event service on the 5 lines that don't run weekends.

Right now not a single GO train has 2 engineers. Even though they refer to us all as Train Operators only 1 is actually a qualified engineer. An engineer can work as a conductor but a conductor cannot work as an engineer A conductor can work as a CSA but a CSA cannot work as a conductor.

My apologies. I thought that CTOs were also qualified engineers.

I thought I heard someone mention that Milton is going to get an 8th train soon (up from the current 7). Anyone know any more info on that? vegeta_skyline?

There was a tender in August or September of last year on GOs site to install an 8th wayside cabinet. It was removed after the tender was closed, and there were responses to the tender, but I don't know if they ever awarded a winner or if they've even installed the 8th cabinet.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As it stands now, all platforms are to be 12 cars long by the end of 2012. Just in time for the last new coaches to be received in 2013.

The Barrie corridor will have new Signal Control by 2013 with Stouffville by 2012.

Tender is to be issue by the fall for the real work on the Toronto West Diamond where 4 bridges weighting 10,000 Tons will pushed into place. The bridges will be precast and ship to site in section for final assembly before being pushed into place. Each bridge will take less than 12 hours for final placement that will require CP to only close the line for 24 hrs.

At this time, Old Weston Rd is closed to everyone at the junction until Nov. In July, the CP track to Lampton will be removed for the cleaning and concrete pour in the piles. Some piles may have to be replace since they fail to go where they were supposed to. People, mostly car ppl don’t understand Road Close as they were being chase away on Monday before I went to the meeting.

Sometime this summer, the 401 will be closed at Pickering for the placement of the new bridge for the station. Oh, that going to be a great Sat night mess.

The #3 platform at Clarkson is only open for 5 cars at peak time only as of June 13 even though the notices say AM only. PM see it also now which I suspected when I saw it on the 14. The rest of the existing platform has been removed with new platforms edges going in now. The west stair overhead and wall is gone as well about 12" of the base as of June 21.

Every bike spot as well free space have bikes in them for this station and that 4 bike shelters. I believe this out ranks Oakville now for top spot.

Georgetown Line at Denison Rd is to be relocated I believe next week so work can start on the first haft of the grade separation.

No work has started on the new Oakville garage, but stake out and ready to go as of June 21.

The new bridge at Burlington was erected May 6 and it has galvanize steel stairs in place for platform 1. The stair is there for 2/3 as well the stair enclosure, which is also galvanize.

Last edited:
The Barrie corridor will have new Signal Control by 2013 with Stouffville by 2012.

Thats rather optimistic considering their past history. Considering I've seen them take over 6 months for a single controlled location (one set of signals) and they only have 18 & 30 months at most to do work on 22 miles & 44 miles of track on those lines. Unless they are only planning on signalizing a portion of them. But as long as there's OCS you won't be able to get away with the 30 mins minimal separation between trains.

Thats rather optimistic considering their past history. Considering I've seen them take over 6 months for a single controlled location (one set of signals) and they only have 18 & 30 months at most to do work on 22 miles & 44 miles of track on those lines. Unless they are only planning on signalizing a portion of them. But as long as there's OCS you won't be able to get away with the 30 mins minimal separation between trains.

Without pulling out the report, I believe PNR is now 100% responible for signals as a sole source. Not my field and leave that to others. I would go with OCS since allday service is years down the road and not many train going to be added for some time to both lines. If it takes as long as you said, will be done just in time for more trains.

Keep in mind that it will not be CN installing the signalling system on the Uxbridge and Newmarket Subs. And rightfully so, considering they are now 4 months behind on the work between Mimico and Canpa.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

True, I've seen first hand exactly how "quickly" CN gets things done at Mimico & Campa and previously Port Credit, 9th Line & Kerr st. PNR does not have a high standard to beat.

June 22
Clarkson
5865717964_bbfe8df10e_b.jpg

5865718906_153ebc2e51_b.jpg

5865716808_282e98108c_b.jpg

5865712612_ff2eb5a70b_b.jpg

5865159477_6b608ec752_b.jpg

5865709776_6f317634a2_b.jpg

does the new signals on the Barrie line mean that we'll have more than one train every hour?

Well ... there is already a train every half hour (for the brief period of the day that they have trains).

I mentioned this on another thread but decided to post it on this thread as well. I was going through Pickering last week and saw construction of what looks like a pedestrian bridge from the Pickering GO Station (on the south side of highway 401 between Liverpool and Brock Rd.) and Pickering Town Centre on the north side of the 401 between Brock and Liverpool Rds. Hopefully this bridge help link up with the bus loop at Pickering Town Centre and will encourage much more transit use for both Durham Transit and GO Transit usage since this GO station might now have a direct link with many more bus routes once this bridge is complete.

I mentioned this on another thread but decided to post it on this thread as well. I was going through Pickering last week and saw construction of what looks like a pedestrian bridge from the Pickering GO Station (on the south side of highway 401 between Liverpool and Brock Rd.) and Pickering Town Centre on the north side of the 401 between Brock and Liverpool Rds. Hopefully this bridge help link up with the bus loop at Pickering Town Centre and will encourage much more transit use for both Durham Transit and GO Transit usage since this GO station might now have a direct link with many more bus routes once this bridge is complete.

See lengthy Star article at: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1020936--pickering-s-bridge-to-the-future-takes-shape

Like I mentioned in the other thread, almost all Pickering routes already serve the GO Station. I don't really see the bridge encouraging more local transit use. You can already take the bus between the mall and the GO Station.

July 21
The Portland Bridge to be erected July 30-Aug 1 at this time for the south section.
5962516063_1eff081419_b.jpg

5963072316_e644faae13_b.jpg

Oakville Parking Structure
5963097798_4bc8382119_b.jpg

5962542099_165deeece7_b.jpg

Burlington plus 30 walkway
5963095014_639f48999d_b.jpg

5963095416_09d94aa958_b.jpg

5962534147_24d4428cf8_b.jpg

5962534829_52003ca565_b.jpg

Back