News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Aug 18
They are ready to pave the final section of the rebuilt platform west end and install the steel supports for the shelters.
6057920556_19bf24ed24_b.jpg

6057920002_742d5ebb21_b.jpg

The steel work is finished for the Burlington Plus 30 bridge and waiting concrete and glazing. Then there is the roofing to be done.
6057372115_e98b16e752_b.jpg

6057918764_40636e52f6_b.jpg

6057914676_19129035c1_b.jpg

6057918188_b61bb54141_b.jpg

6057915222_4dc9166ce2_b.jpg

Thanks for the pics of what is happening with the Burlington GO station. Pickering is getting a very long pedestrian bridge built from the Pickering Town Centre that goes south over many lanes of express and collector lanes of the 401 to the Pickering GO Station on the south side of the 401. Hopefully this investment helps bring more pedestrian traffic to the GO trains and other public transit there and vise-versa- brings in more business to the different business' in the Pickering Town Centre area. It is happening slowly but I am seeing much investiment in Ontario for the various forms of public transit (not enough though for me). I am really looking at the transit agenda of each party and candidate for the upcoming provincial election. I know it isn't the only issue but transit is a priority for me (again!).

Thanks for the pics of what is happening with the Burlington GO station. Pickering is getting a very long pedestrian bridge built from the Pickering Town Centre that goes south over many lanes of express and collector lanes of the 401 to the Pickering GO Station on the south side of the 401. Hopefully this investment helps bring more pedestrian traffic to the GO trains and other public transit there and vise-versa- brings in more business to the different business' in the Pickering Town Centre area. It is happening slowly but I am seeing much investiment in Ontario for the various forms of public transit (not enough though for me). I am really looking at the transit agenda of each party and candidate for the upcoming provincial election. I know it isn't the only issue but transit is a priority for me (again!).

This bridge is for a bunch of wimps who cannot not walk down/up a few flights of stairs to their single seat car. A total wast of good money for the useless walkway. It not going to attack any new riders.

Doses not service any buses of GO or Burlington Transit.

There nothing on the other side of the GO station other than Wal Mart.

This bridge is for a bunch of wimps who cannot not walk down/up a few flights of stairs to their single seat car. A total wast of good money for the useless walkway. It not going to attack any new riders.

Doses not service any buses of GO or Burlington Transit.

Attack new riders?

Regardless of its utility, I think that bridge looks great! The architecture is not that exciting, but I love the way it's making Burlington Station look less like a pair of concrete slabs on the mainline, and more like the important station it should be.

The fact that GO is building it indicates it is useful. Overall, they seem to spend money quite effectively, and this particular project is pretty safe from community objection or support due to its relatively low impact and cost. Metrolinx must have decided that the benefit (reducing walking distance from the garages, making their service more competitive with driving) is worth the cost.

With a more attractive park-and-ride, they could probably still fill the lot even if they charge for parking. That would more than make up the cost of the bridge.

Sept 02,
The north support retaining bridge support was getting the last load of concrete for it to day. The centre support as well the south support are in place and waiting for the main bridge.

It will be interesting to see if any provision is made in the road foundation down the road for tracks for the Sheppard LRT like they did for Dufferin St underpass just in case Ford Sheppard Subway plan dies like it should.

A year from now, traffic will be flowing under this new GO bridge.

Never noticed my error, as it should have been attract, not attack.
6107840422_1dfbbfc1fa_b.jpg

6107291207_e107020d98_b.jpg

6107290715_b0b360f03a_b.jpg

6107289671_8bf96120b3_b.jpg

6107290139_065ceae5f3_b.jpg

6107293331_9086382c9e_b.jpg

Some updates I spotted in tenderland:

Tender is up for the new train yard associated with the extension of the Richmond Hill line:
Tender No.: PT-2011-RF-049

Construction of a New Richmond Hill Train Layover Facility

Metrolinx is accepting Tenders for the construction of a new train layover facility that shall accommodate six (6), twelve (12) car train consists and shall be located on the Bethesda Side Road in the Town of Richmond Hill.

A Mandatory Site Meeting will be held at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, September 9, 2011 at 1701 Bethesda Side Road, Richmond Hill, Ontario. Contractors shall meet on the east side of the railroad crossing located on the Bethesda Side Road, west of Highway 404 and east of Leslie Street in the Town of Richmond Hill. Contractors shall be required to walk through fields on an uneven surface. Failure of Contractor to be present and registered from the time the meeting is called to order until the meeting is adjourned will result in disqualification from bidding.

Contractors must wear hard hats, safety boots, safety vests and safety glasses during the site meeting(s). Failure to satisfy these requirements will result in exclusion from the site.

Tender documents are available online at www.merx.com. Private Tenders/MERX Reference number PR227007.

Tender inquiries and other communications are to be directed to Colleen Ramsay at (416) 869-3600, ext. 5364 or e-mail Colleen.Ramsay@metrolinx.com.

Each Tender must be accompanied by a bid deposit in the amount of $350,000.00 in the form of a bid bond or certified cheque payable to Metrolinx.

Sealed Tenders will be accepted until 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 22, 2011 at the Procurement and Contract Services Office, and will be opened immediately upon closing. Bid information read out at the public opening will be available on Metrolinx’s website www.gotransit.com after 2:30 p.m. the following business day.

Metrolinx reserves the right to reject any or all Tenders at its sole discretion.

Also, bids are in for the construction of the Acton and Kitchener stations.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for the land between the GO station and the Wal Mart? I use Burlington station pretty often, and it's a pretty sizeable chunk of land that's located between there. Certainly enough for a multi-tower condo project (hey, one can only hope). Is that land owned by GO or by someone else?

I don't know for sure but I'd imagine that GO probably owns it as they've shown the foresight in the past to buy up any available swaths of land around stations (for more parking lots of course). A multi-purpose development(Condo's with retail at the base) as you've mentioned would be much more preferable.

I don't know for sure but I'd imagine that GO probably owns it as they've shown the foresight in the past to buy up any available swaths of land around stations (for more parking lots of course). A multi-purpose development(Condo's with retail at the base) as you've mentioned would be much more preferable.

That would make sense. I think I've mentioned this before, but I think GO should look at redoing some of their parking lots and having structures with retail at ground level (more big box than small retail though), with 2 or 3 parking levels above that. The footprint of a lot of big box retailers is pretty similar to what a lot of GO parking lots currently are.

For retailers, I was thinking companies like Sobeys, the LCBO, Best Buy, etc. I would think it would make a lot of sense for people who have their car parked on the 2nd level to think "Hey, I'm talking the GO train home, and I have to pick up a few things for dinner. Rather than making a separate stop over at the grocery store on my way home, why don't I just pop into the Sobeys at the GO station?" Same line of thinking goes for the LCBO. Maybe have a few restaurants (some fast food, some not) in there too.

It may not be the mixed-use TOD utopia that some people envision, but I think this is a pretty sensible and realistic use of the lands, which would at least give some return on investment for GO. They're already building parking structures at a lot of their GO stations, so why not double parking capacity AND have some more intensive uses for those lands other than just a parking lot?

That would make sense. I think I've mentioned this before, but I think GO should look at redoing some of their parking lots and having structures with retail at ground level (more big box than small retail though), with 2 or 3 parking levels above that. The footprint of a lot of big box retailers is pretty similar to what a lot of GO parking lots currently are.

Unless things have changed, this is the plan for the new structure to be built at Oakville Station.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Unless things have changed, this is the plan for the new structure to be built at Oakville Station.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

With retail on the ground floor? If so, that's awesome news! Does anyone have any renderings or reports on it? I'd be very interested in seeing them.

Back