News   Jun 21, 2024
 3.7K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

i still find it stupid that ML didnt bother to revise their standards for the raised wheelchair platform portion to be flush with the platform edge for tracks they use exclusively.
there is no fear of freight trains being too wide for it and its just so 1900s to need to drop a metal board to bridge the gap every singe stop.

Can you explain how that one would work? The presence of the lower step means you could only bring any level platform as close to that step as the clearance envelope would allow - this would still leave a substantial gap that would need to be bridged.

Wait til you travel to Europe and you find differing platform heights are a thing there too.

i still find it stupid that ML didnt bother to revise their standards for the raised wheelchair platform portion to be flush with the platform edge for tracks they use exclusively.
there is no fear of freight trains being too wide for it and its just so 1900s to need to drop a metal board to bridge the gap every singe stop.
I agree that GO should speed up its level-boarding conversion plans.

At least boarding a couple steps into a GO train for a quick commute is nowhere near as bad as the awful VIA platform at Union. Climbing up and down those steps with a 25kg bag sucks and really does feel like the 1900s experience.

I would say GO is absolutely committed to level boarding.....one day.
Just about every lamp post and curb in those pictures are clearly future proofed for level boarding.
I just don't get how people can believe that GO can say "OK, let's do level boarding" and wave a magic wand and make it happen over night. It will be a major construction program (think new drawings for every inch of GO platforms just to tender the work and manage the details....never mind the construction impacts....every platform having to go through a "doors will only open in cars a-f" period, and CSA's having to remember which station has what loading platform and all that....)
It makes absolutely no sense to start that program when GO has so many transitions and so much other construction going on. Clearly, level boarding can wait. Our children will be glad when it happens, and I'm sure it will.
Right now, we need other things more.

- Paul
The coaches will have to be modified anyway, whether level boarding began five years ago or starts five years from today. The longer they wait to do it the more recently built or rebuilt platforms will have to be raised, not a small expense or use of concrete.

The coaches will have to be modified anyway, whether level boarding began five years ago or starts five years from today. The longer they wait to do it the more recently built or rebuilt platforms will have to be raised, not a small expense or use of concrete.
I don't follow - how would this affect the use of concrete?

All platforms are currently not set up for level boarding. Any recently rebuilt platform that was rebuilt would not, I trust (though with Metrolinx, one can never be too certain), be completely ripped out and redone, just the extra mm of concrete built on top of what was there before, no?

I'd rather see one line fully switch to level boarding and go from there. My vote would be for the Barrie or Stouffville Lines to go first as there is no mainline freight traffic.

That aside, I wish GO would future proof this by ordering cars with duel boarding levels - like Caltrain and Exo.

I don't follow - how would this affect the use of concrete?

All platforms are currently not set up for level boarding. Any recently rebuilt platform that was rebuilt would not, I trust (though with Metrolinx, one can never be too certain), be completely ripped out and redone, just the extra mm of concrete built on top of what was there before, no?
I was thinking that all of the recently built or rebuilt platforms would be raised by adding a layer of concrete, but that is still a large use of materials, expense and time that would have been avoided if they started modifying the coaches five years ago, and built all those platforms to a level floor height. They are going to have to modify the coaches anyway, might as well have done it sooner rather than later, and avoid raising all those platforms.

Some Googling tells me the difference in platform height will be ~480mm, spread out over the network that won't be insignificant.

Have a good look at a GO platform next time you ride. There are manhole covers, utility apertures, shelters, benches….. and then there’s snow melt. ML isn’t going to just roll out a whack of carpet one night and be ready for level boarding in the mornjng…..and then there is modifying the rolling stock, as noted. Changing over a single platform is not a quick task.
Now think through exactly how one would execute a cutover program. Think about the operating instructions that would be needed, the added constraints on how trains are marshalled, and the limitations this might place on interlining trainsets between different routes.
ML can’t manage that on top of all their current projects….. heck, a three car funeral procession is a challenge for that organization.
Definitely something to be left for another time.

- Paul

Geez those signals are haggard. I thought they'd have been replaced with the relatively new looking vertical supports, but perhaps it's tied to USRC work?

I have a feeling it will be replaced entirely, as I've seen brand new supports & signals on the Milton corridor.

Geez those signals are haggard. I thought they'd have been replaced with the relatively new looking vertical supports, but perhaps it's tied to USRC work?
Those are USRC signals, whereas the ones on the west end of the station are Oakville Sub signals.

The Fort York section of the USRC was always projected to be the last one upgraded. Yes, they will be replaced - eventually - although I have no idea when that is planned at this point.

Dan

If the plan to raise the existing platforms to match the floor level of the coaches, how much concrete is being added to the existing platforms as well how will it impact the snow melting system??

You can add slide out gap fill plate for the door areas that are found on trains in Europe with level boarding.

Depending on the height of the new elevated platforms, you could eliminate the accessibility platform for stations that will not see any freight trains.

Dec 7
Had a look at the Kennedy GO Station and neither platform is 100% completed yet. Work is underway for the 2 elevators for the east platform not including the one for the LRT and almost finished.

4 fare enforcers got off the northbound train and were writing tickets for a few riders. They had to hang around until the southbound was to arrive some 30 minutes later.

Does anyone know what work is being done on the Stouffville line this weekend (trains are cancelled again)? I think the last few times it was related to the fourth LSE track but it's only Stouffville that's shut down this time. Could it be the Highland Creek culvert? I'm not sure what else they even have to do beyond finishing touches on the new stations.

A friend posted these from Riverdale.

IMG_5665.png
IMG_5664.png

Last edited:

Back