News   Jun 21, 2024
 3.7K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Thanks. I did check some maps but wasn't sure I had it figured out.

- Paul

It can be confusing, the area is within the regulatory regime of the Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Act. Which often reads as 'greenbelt' in many maps.

I doubt Metrolinx would have built a station in the greenbelt.
1701813654032.png

Bloomington GO is in the greenbelt, meaning it will never be a transit-oriented community, never have walk-in traffic, and forever be reliant on its 998 parking spaces as exurban commuters drive their pickup trucks great distances to arrive at the station.

Here's another photo dump for Exhibition GO now that the new platform is open. There's clearly nothing more exciting being constructed in my area right now 😂

Starting with the West end of the Eastbound Platform (#1) showing the removed section of the old Westbound tracks.
Z8P_3464.jpg

End of Westbound tracks seen here.
Z8P_3468.jpg
Z8P_3472.jpg
Z8P_3475.jpg

End of old Westbound tracks.
Z8P_3477.jpg

East end of old Westbound platform
Z8P_3478.jpg

Jumping over to the North side. Old platform section shows how much the new platform has shifted East.
Z8P_3483.jpg

Entrance to new Westbound platform.
Z8P_3485.jpg

And now onto the new platform.
Z8P_3487.jpg

Accessibility ramp from tunnel (not opened yet).
Z8P_3489.jpg
Z8P_3491.jpg
Closed
Z8P_3493.jpg

Closed entrance to new pedestrian bridge.
Z8P_3495.jpg

Z8P_3497.jpg

Part 2

More shots looking East on the new platform.
Z8P_3500.jpg
Z8P_3502.jpg
Z8P_3503.jpg

Looking over the fence at the East end of the platform.
Z8P_3507.jpg

Looking back Westward from the East end.
Z8P_3508.jpg

Looking south to the under construction shift of Eastbound platform (#4)
Z8P_3512.jpg

Looking north into Ontario Line construction site.
Z8P_3516.jpg
Z8P_3519.jpg
Z8P_3522.jpg

Looking north again to where I think the south-most Ontario Line track will be laid, it not another set of GO tracks.
Z8P_3525.jpg

One more shot showing how much the new platform has shifted from the old one.
Z8P_3531.jpg

Westend of the new platform.
Z8P_3532.jpg

Platform access from the foot of Atlantic Avenue is now closed. You can only use the narrow passageway from the East sidewalk now.
Z8P_3540.jpg

I don't think current trains are setup for level boarding.
Which height should the platforms go up to? The small step, or the coach floor?
If it went to the small step, it would not constitute level boarding.

Level boarding would only be met by having a platform height of 610 mm, level with the coach floor. The trains are not set up for it, but altering the coaches is possible, if rather a large undertaking.

I would say GO is absolutely committed to level boarding.....one day.
Just about every lamp post and curb in those pictures are clearly future proofed for level boarding.
I just don't get how people can believe that GO can say "OK, let's do level boarding" and wave a magic wand and make it happen over night. It will be a major construction program (think new drawings for every inch of GO platforms just to tender the work and manage the details....never mind the construction impacts....every platform having to go through a "doors will only open in cars a-f" period, and CSA's having to remember which station has what loading platform and all that....)
It makes absolutely no sense to start that program when GO has so many transitions and so much other construction going on. Clearly, level boarding can wait. Our children will be glad when it happens, and I'm sure it will.
Right now, we need other things more.

- Paul

Back