News   May 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 950     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 7.8K     9 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I saw a reference to deferral of Guelph Central Station works in an article relating the woes of that’s city’s finances following provincial restriction of development charge powers. Is that about supporting works such as bus loops? I didn’t think any city other than Toronto was co-funding Metrolinx works?
The bus platforms at Guelph Central GO are being updated right now with replaced shelters. The deferred works mainly involve the bus terminal to be built at Guelph Central, along with a new Ped bridge north of downtown, and a few other smaller projects. I believe these were to be solely funded by the City, but I am not 100% sure.

Easiest way to expand West Harbour is to add a 3rd track on the north side of the station serving the other side of Platform 2 beside the CN mainline. I can't see why the station would need any more capacity than this for the forseeable future.
That might be a bit tricky track geometry wise. While in theory and purely from aerial view there might be space to put a track between the main and the platform, that gap narrows near the east end of the platform so it would be a stub, perhaps only 6-8 cars long. The other problem is the CN Cargoflo facility which has switches to get its trains across the GO approach tracks, joining the main very close to where this stub would have to begin at the west end of the platform.

It seems to me that buying out that facility and eliminating the switch to the main would possibly simplify things (and potentially allow for a small train storage facility). But that would be quite a bit of money to spend and hassle, and is there track time to use the extra platform to best advantage? And where would the transload freight cars currently cycled through Cargoflo be handled?

That might be a bit tricky track geometry wise. While in theory and purely from aerial view there might be space to put a track between the main and the platform, that gap narrows near the east end of the platform so it would be a stub, perhaps only 6-8 cars long. The other problem is the CN Cargoflo facility which has switches to get its trains across the GO approach tracks, joining the main very close to where this stub would have to begin at the west end of the platform.

It seems to me that buying out that facility and eliminating the switch to the main would possibly simplify things (and potentially allow for a small train storage facility). But that would be quite a bit of money to spend and hassle, and is there track time to use the extra platform to best advantage? And where would the transload freight cars currently cycled through Cargoflo be handled?
Good insights. Realistically two tracks is fine. Even with a theoretical half hourly service, two is plenty.

Danforth Ave, just East of Warden.

DJI_0008.jpeg

DJI_0059.jpeg

DJI_0013.jpeg

DJI_0021.jpeg

Is it just me or is naming a train station for a tree kinda dumb? Shouldn’t it be named for the town it’s close to?

Not that I expect any better from Metrolinx and trying to keep to their supposed station naming schemes. See the Eglinton station on the Eglinton line. Where is it? Who knows.
It is definitely dumb, but we don't focus on it much because there are so many other stupid names to distract us, like

Confederation: What does this have to do with anything? Why not just name it after the community it's in (Stoney Creek)?
Casablanca: At least this has some geographical significance, but since it's going to be Grimsby's only train station, why not call it Grimsby?
West Harbour: Which harbour? This is Hamilton's main off-peak train station yet it doesn't mention Hamilton at all. Should be "Hamilton Harbour" instead.
East Harbour: similar to above
Allandale Waterfront: This is Barrie's most central station yet it doesn't mention Barrie at all. Should be "Barrie Allandale" instead.
Stations with the same name as a completely unrelated station: Woodbine, Eglinton, Mt Pleasant, Bramalea, Newmarket
Brampton Innovation District: "Innovation District" would be fine as a subtitle but it's too long for an official name. For a correct implementation, see Kitchener Central station, which has the subtitle Innovation District, but it's correctly distinguished from the station name.
Durham College Oshawa: Enough said.

Confederation GO is technically named after the large waterfront park adjacent to it - but most people don't know that.

It's technically not in the former municipality of Stoney Creek either, which doesn't begin until Greys Rd along the rail corridor.

And Centennial, the street it's on, is already claimed for a GO station name in Markham..

Honestly what Metrolinx should have done is rename Centennial to McCowan station and then name Confederation Centennial.

They are also on dead opposite ends of the golden horseshoe so it may not be the end of the world to have duplicate names.. Or even Stoney Creek, as most people these days consider Stoney Creek to basically be anything east of the Red Hill Parkway, but that's a whole other conversation..

Casablanca - agreed - Grimsby is better, but I wonder if VIA is still planning on using their existing dinky little VIA stop and Metrolinx didn't want to create conflict between the two..

Hamilton Harbour is far better, agreed.

East Harbour should be "Broadview" - but I get the feeling metrolinx is trying to avoid duplication of station names with the subway. Perhaps "Portlands' could work too.

Agreed on Barrie Allandale, or even just "Barrie", renaming Barrie South to Mapleview.

That's the Barrie line south of the 401 for those wondering.. Interesting to see Metrolinx installing sound barriers in entirely industrial areas.

I'm not sure that sound is the sole design factor - it seems ML wants to isolate its line altogether - walls make good neighbours, it seems.

- Paul

the area Bramalea is named that as it's a combination of Brampton-Malton and lea meaning meadow.
I have no problem with the name of the area, I just think they should distinguish between the two completely unrelated "Bramalea" bus terminals. For example "Bramalea Centre" and "Bramalea South"

Looks like Guelph Central’s second platform is close to completion. I imagine when that’s all done and the 2nd track is online they’ll close the original one for upgrades and extend the platform to allow for the 12 car trains.

Of note, I was taking pictures when VIA train 87 arrived. The conductors kept announcing that this is not a GO train and that tickets are $70. Sounds like GO needs to run weekend train service yesterday.
IMG_4218.jpeg

IMG_4219.jpeg

IMG_4220.jpeg
IMG_4221.jpeg

Back