News   May 10, 2024
 144     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 241     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 370     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Shirley in Kitchener is also double ended, although there's no eastbound crossover from the south track to the north to let them make proper use of the west side yard entry at the end of the day. :-(
There is a switch from south to north tracks between Kitchener station and Lancaster Street.
Capture.JPG

The further west the switch is, the sooner the train can clear the mainline and make room for the next train into Kitchener.

There is a switch from south to north tracks between Kitchener station and Lancaster Street.
View attachment 512515

The further west the switch is, the sooner the train can clear the mainline and make room for the next train into Kitchener.

The problem is that CN uses the north track as a siding, and 9 times out of 10 it's blocked between the Lancaster yard and the crossover at the west end of Shirley that's facing the wrong way.

It's cause HO32 (the non-main track) is used for L533s traffic to macyard.

Thanks for the inside view. As someone who knows nothing about the complexities of dispatching a railroad, I'm surprised they haven't just replaced the manually thrown crossover west of the Shirley yard with a powered one facing the opposite direction. To me that would seem to provide far more utility than the one they have in place now.

Thanks for the inside view. As someone who knows nothing about the complexities of dispatching a railroad, I'm surprised they haven't just replaced the manually thrown crossover west of the Shirley yard with a powered one facing the opposite direction. To me that would seem to provide far more utility than the one they have in place now.
That, and also see if there's anywhere else CN can park that train. We're going to want both tracks accessible to passenger trains when service increases and we need to access both platforms at Kitchener Central station.

Update on GO Expansion/ONCorr headed to the next meeting of Toronto's Executive Ctte.

Barrie Rail Corridor Expansion and Improvements
1698155723578.png

In Respect of the Davenport Separation Project Greenway:

1698155791908.png

In Respect of the LSE project - Small's Creek:

Culvert to be tendered this fall.

Restoration Plans are being revised to include a walking path and are due to the City in Q2 2024

Other LSE work:

Mx has not provided the City with completion dates for any of the Woodbine, Warden and Danforth rail bridge widenings, notwithstanding requests to do so.

Kitchener Corridor:

1698156166772.png

1698156194391.png

1698156254171.png

ONCorr Development Phase:

1698156330698.png

Union Station Enhancement Project:

1698156543735.png

* design and timeline updates expected in early '24

New Layover facility for GO at York Mills Road/Richmond Hill Line:

Designs to be shared with the City in Spring '24

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad there was an update on Stouffville construction and hopefully evening service will be restored by next summer.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad there was an update on Stouffville construction and hopefully evening service will be restored by next summer.

You're welcome; I'm waiting on @crs1026 to note the statement that track work is complete in light of a certain missing bridge.

Having now read the report to EC - and recognizing that this is a City report, ie it represents what selected matters City Staff think Council should be aware of, rather than a full readout by Metrolinx - it's very comprehensive and informative. I did wonder about a few missing bits

- The Woodbine station was not mentioned, nor any plan to address Etobicoke North
- The report implies that the Bloor Bridge on the Barrie line is complete, in fact we are about to see the second half of the bridge being erected
- No mention of St Clair and Liberty stations on the Kitchener line (it's Smarttrack not GO Expansion, so possibly reported in some other way)
- No mention of Kennedy or Exhibition station work

I had an errand today and rode LSE. There is certainly a ton of work going on between Union and Scarborough Jct on LSE. The taggers seem to be able to decorate the sound walls as fast as ML can erect them. The need to complete the bridgework at several locations is apparent, as is station work at Danforth and work generally in the East Harbour area. But overall, lots has been completed.

Q4 2024-Q1 2025 is going to be a very interesting time for transit enthusiasts, lots said to be reaching completion by then.

- Paul

Update on GO Expansion/ONCorr headed to the next meeting of Toronto's Executive Ctte.

Barrie Rail Corridor Expansion and Improvements
View attachment 515212
In Respect of the Davenport Separation Project Greenway:

View attachment 515213

In Respect of the LSE project - Small's Creek:

Culvert to be tendered this fall.

Restoration Plans are being revised to include a walking path and are due to the City in Q2 2024

Other LSE work:

Mx has not provided the City with completion dates for any of the Woodbine, Warden and Danforth rail bridge widenings, notwithstanding requests to do so.

Kitchener Corridor:

View attachment 515214
View attachment 515215

View attachment 515216

ONCorr Development Phase:

View attachment 515217

Union Station Enhancement Project:

View attachment 515218
* design and timeline updates expected in early '24

New Layover facility for GO at York Mills Road/Richmond Hill Line:

Designs to be shared with the City in Spring '24

Speaking of Sheppard on the Barrie Line: