News   May 09, 2024
 431     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 437     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 723     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Just received.

Link: https://www.metrolinx.com/en/projec...xpansion/studies/bowmanville-extension---tpap

Direct PDF link (604 pages/22MB): https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/upload/v1696445880/Documents/BWV_epr-add_20231002_fin_signed.pdf

1696529735967.png

This progress is great to see....but.... (always dwelling on the dark cloud, it seems)..... given the existing schedule there is no track available between Guelph and Silver in the mornings between 0630 and 0930 that would allow a westbound to run against the fleet of eastbounds. It's unlikely that ML would pencil in a gap in the peak headways to enable a counterpeak train to transit this segment: at current speeds that would require a one-hour gap in those peak inbound trains.

The Breslau and Guelph passing tracks will certainly help GO run 2-way service off peak, but the ability to run counter-peak is still missing. Siding work at Acton and Georgetown/Silver (at least) is still needed. Perhaps GO can improve the speed somewhat and reduce the timings, at present it's a 0:30 run from Guelph to Silver. (If it were my railway, I would be restoring a siding at Rock Cut as well)

I wonder if Breslau is as much about giving freights a place to stay clear as it is about adding GO capacity.

- Paul

Last edited:
Metrolinx latest capital projects pipeline lists the second package of Guelph sub work going to tender this fall, and the first bit of work on Georgetown station going to tender in the spring.

The Kitchener Extension site has the following which I would assume is the work in that second Guelph sub package.
Future phases of the Kitchener Extension project will include a passing track at Acton GO Station, a storage track for maintenance vehicles near Rockwood, a north platform extension at Guelph GO Station, expansion of the Shantz Station Road bridge and a further extension of the second track in Breslau to the east, as well as track re-alignments through the corridor.

The Georgetown station work lists platform track and signals, so hopefully that's the work required to allow the hourly train meets there.

It's taken way too long to get to this point but it finally feels like we'll actually have hourly 2-way all day to Kitchener soon - probably just in time for the next provincial election.

Metrolinx latest capital projects pipeline lists the second package of Guelph sub work going to tender this fall, and the first bit of work on Georgetown station going to tender in the spring.

The Kitchener Extension site has the following which I would assume is the work in that second Guelph sub package.

The Georgetown station work lists platform track and signals, so hopefully that's the work required to allow the hourly train meets there.

It's taken way too long to get to this point but it finally feels like we'll actually have hourly 2-way all day to Kitchener soon - probably just in time for the next provincial election.

I'm with you, except for the last sentence; unless we get an early election, the next one isn't til 2026; I can't reconcile that with the word 'soon'.

Hopefully we have service place no later than Sept '25

Last edited:
There is / will be a yard at Walkers Line (LW)?

I like how you made the yards stick out, it's very visually appealing.
Yep! It was originally going to be just west of Burlington where a wye is right now, but it’s been moved to Walkers Line:
IMG_3254.jpeg

The yard in the original location was going to be massive, I believe it would have been the largest layover yard on the network:
IMG_6141.jpeg

Thanks! I considered a bunch of different ways to represent the yards but that one was the best looking way.

Metrolinx has issued contradictory info on the Georgetown layover. In the Q&A for the Heritage Layover consultation it was stated that Gtown would close once Heritage opened, but in information provide to a developer of the adjacent lot, only one of the existing 3 bay tracks will be removed.

I’m currently mapping out all current and future places that GO stores trains, have I missed any future locations?View attachment 512399
Very nice. It would also be cool if you distinguished between yards with connections at one end vs both ends. Willowbrook, Whitby and Lewis come to mind as examples with connections at both ends.

Very nice. It would also be cool if you distinguished between yards with connections at one end vs both ends. Willowbrook, Whitby and Lewis come to mind as examples with connections at both ends.

Shirley in Kitchener is also double ended, although there's no facing point crossover eastbound from the south track to the north to let them make proper use of the west side yard entry at the end of the day. :-(

Last edited:

Back