News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 618     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 897     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

when will they invest more on platform stuctures and construct something more than just to a glorified bus shelter??
You mean like full length canopies with integrated heated waiting areas, heated platforms, enclosed staircases, multiple elevators and an 1911 station building including a ticket office, washrooms and a waiting room?

You mean like full length canopies with integrated heated waiting areas, heated platforms, enclosed staircases, multiple elevators and an 1911 station building including a ticket office, washrooms and a waiting room?
Yes.

For their major rer stations

The tunnel along Main Street would be six times the length of the planned tunnel between Bloor GO and Dundas West TTC. The Dundas West platforms stretch 134 metres east from the current entrance, so the new tunnel from the east end of the platform will only need to be about 50 metres long.
View attachment 453805

That will be an enormous improvement over the current transfer which is about 350 metres.
View attachment 453804

At Main Street, the only place where you could conceivably build a tunnel is right under the existing sidewalk. So the only distance saved would be the length of the escalator heading down to the mezzanine in the station. Eliminating one at-grade street crossing, reducing the vertical displacement and providing weather protection are of course benefits, but I doubt that those alone would ever justify the enormous costs of such a tunnel given all the other transit improvements we could get with that money instead.

Dundas West station needs a second exit regardless of any connection to GO, as per the current fire escape regulations. Hence why all the other underground stations are also getting second exits if they don't yet have one. The exit into the GO station will be quite a bit more expensive than a typical second exit because as a useful access point it needs to have elevators, and of course being under Crossways has always been an obstacle. But the huge potential time savings combined with the safety improvements and weather protection for transferring customers make those costs worth it.
Well now it's just silly that we didn't have this 50 years ago.

PPL will be living on Mars before that happens. You will be lucky to find anything close to this in NA today as well in Europe.

Am I the only who has seen the new platforms Metrolinx has been building, including the one in Guelph? They have full lenth canopies, enclosed waiting areas with infrared heaters, the platform has a snowmelt system built in, and there is a ticketing building with a waiting room and washrooms.

We have had this for several years already but I've yet to hear of anyone landing on Mars.

PPL will be living on Mars before that happens. You will be lucky to find anything close to this in NA today as well in Europe.
That's the sad reality of rail travel here in NA... here people cherish their cars over anything else and just barebone rail infrastructure

Yeah I don’t really understand this comment of good stations like this never occurring in NA.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t practically every station that has been rebuilt or currently being rebuilt by MX following most of these amenities?

I mean look at recently rebuilt stations such as Rutherford, or Kennedy, or Agincourt, or Bramalea, or even Guelph now.

Yeah I don’t really understand this comment of good stations like this never occurring in NA.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but hasn’t practically every station that has been rebuilt or currently being rebuilt by MX following most of these amenities?

I mean look at recently rebuilt stations such as Rutherford, or Kennedy, or Agincourt, or Bramalea, or even Guelph now.

There are lots of places in North America and overseas where a lesser commuter station is just a paved platform, some parking, and bus style shelters. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not sure that every GO station should be built to a higher standard, but Guelph is one that deserves a proper treatment. It's an urban center already and likely to see even more ridership growth, likely both commuter and intercity. And, it's a bus transit hub.

Amenities like lighting and snow melting are just sensible and functional. Likewise, elevators and underground passageways are pretty much a default to provide accessibility and safety vs crossing the tracks at grade. Heated ventilated waiting areas are appropriate - even with 2WAD, Guelph will not see transit headways on GO for a long time. People will be waiting for hourly or at best half-hourly trains.

To give the Ford government credit where due, it was the Wynne/Del Duca team that broached the most grandiose local GO stations. The pendulum has swung back to an appropriate point.

- Paul

7CBA7AEE-B75C-427B-81CB-EC8E86F849D7.jpeg
231B2426-0DB5-451F-9458-7F16EE6FA3E4.jpeg
D6259C88-A0B2-46DA-95C3-1E6D3D08F657.jpeg

^Just to be clear - has the fourth track bridge been shifted? Hard to tell from the photo (If so, wow!)

- Paul

Back