News   Jul 15, 2024
 93     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 350     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 536     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Agincourt GO from today:

20210501_173025.jpg
20210501_173054.jpg
20210501_173202.jpg
20210501_173213.jpg
20210501_173223.jpg
20210501_173233.jpg

The above does not seem to reflect this render:

1619948788591.png

Looking at how much space there is between the support pier and the side wall; hopefully the final product will look more like this.

Though, if that's the case, they are going to have to rip a lot of asphalt back out...........which seems a tad wasteful.

I wonder what the chances are of getting a grade-separated Silver Junction. It seems like good value for money especially in light of future service, but the PDBC doesn’t weigh that highly.

^ Maybe they can repurpose some of the funds they were going to use for the Scarboro Grade Separation for the Silver Grade Separation.

I wonder what the chances are of getting a grade-separated Silver Junction. It seems like good value for money especially in light of future service, but the PDBC doesn’t weigh that highly.
This is the phenomenon that I have worried aloud about for VIA’s HFR, especially around curve enhancements.

The numbers seem to imply that eight minutes of slack in the schedule will save lots of money and not cost too many riders.

Imagine if individual mini-projects on HFR Phase 2 have similar numbers and are assessed individually rather than as a package for stretches of, say, 50 miles of line as a single tranche.

The ML writeup seems to have been worded carefully to emphasise that the at-gtade option may be penny wise but pound foolish. If I were ML brass, I would be emphasising to the Minister just how constraining the cross-simultaneously design will be. When you are buying a billion dollar product, scrimping at the margin is not prudent. Treat the additional $200M as insurance and future proofing.

At worst, one would hope that ML would build in a way that the flyover could be added later. Also, perhaps without that component, the EA/engineering work could happen faster and at least a basic 2WAD could happen sooner than 66 months out.

- Paul

Last edited:
This is the phenomenon that I have worried aloud about for VIA’s HFR, especially around curve enhancements.

The numbers seem to imply that eight minutes of slack in the schedule will save lots of money and not cost too many riders.

Imagine if individual mini-projects on HFR Phase 2 have similar numbers and are assessed individually rather than as a package for stretches of, say, 50 miles of line as a single tranche.

The ML writeup seems to have been written to emphasise that the at-gtade option may be penny wise but pound foolish. If I were ML brass, I would be emphasising to the Minister just how constraining the cross-simultaneously design will be. When you are buying a billion dollar product, scrimping at the margin is not prudent. Treat the additional $200M as insurance and future proofing.

At worst, one would hope that ML would build in a way that the flyover could be added later. Also, perhaps without that component, the EA/engineering work could happen faster and at least a basic 2WAD could happen sooner than 66 months out.

- Paul
I'm curious if the driving times they are using to compare to the train times is being plugged into the model. Who takes 2 hours to drive to Kitchener other than in Friday of a long weekend traffic jams?

Reading the report (p.50), trains in opposite directions meet at Georgetown GO, not west of Georgetown GO. Therefore, the departure time in both directions at Georgetown GO should be the same.

There are benefits in meeting at Georgetown GO as the train can choose to crossover the CN tracks before or after the station, which increases the chance of a clear crossing path. Here is an oversimplified diagram:

^@Haydenpoon’s layout would allow an eastbound GO to wait at the north platform for the westbound to arrive at the south platform, or the westbound to wait on the south side for the eastbound to arrive......then both trains could cross over simultaneously, minimizing the interruption to CN.. I think this is the most likely layout for the no-overpass scenario. One could envision fixed (diamond) crossings as opposed to turnouts being used to cross CN.
The added 8 minutes in this option reflects dwell time for both trains in the station, partly to ensure both trains are ready to cross together, and also possibly to give time for any CN train that was already passing to clear the crossovers.
The fly in the ointment would be the need for eastbound CN freights to hold west of Silver if the GO trains were lined. This would block a couple of very bust road crossings, and potentially stop the freight on a grade. I suspect CN would be happier to have the crossing over happen at the Georgetown crossovers, a little further east and with any held-up eastbound trains a bit less hampered by grade.

- Paul
Good points, guys. I was somewhat dubious on the prospect of swapping platforms in real time, but I suppose if they anticipate the blockage far enough in advance, there could be enough time for waiting passengers to swap platforms.

Here's an updated scenario to reflect this:
TrackUpgrades-GuelphV2.JPG

TrackAllocation-HaltonV2.JPG

I don't think diamond crossovers would be suitable at Georgetown, because CN local freights from Kitchener, VIA trains, and counter-peak GO trains need to be able to go from the Guelph subdivision to either of the CN tracks.

As you'd imagine, all the meets shift a bit to the east compared to the previous version. In most cases this is inconsequential, but it does seem to place a meet between the off-peak Mt Pleasant - Union service and the base hourly service at Brampton Station, which is not somewhere I'd have guessed they'd build a passing track. Maybe my estimated travel times are a bit off, or maybe they will run uneven headways between the base and off-peak 'extra' services to line up with the passing track locations, or maybe they are planning to quad-track Brampton Station. There are simply too many variables for us to make accurate predictions about the track layout or scheduling on the Halton Subdivision.

Second, a question, is your assumption on VIA based on existing frequencies and times?

As I recall, at one point, VIA was contemplating up to 8 frequencies daily to Windsor; presumably that would be more challenging than the existing pre-Covid schedule.
Yes, my assumption was VIA frequencies would be similar to current, around 2 to 4 per day. At that level, it seems plausible that CN would accommodate a large enough train path for VIA to run unimpeded along the CN track (including crossing over at-grade). The more services VIA runs, the less willing CN will be to provide them with a clear shot down the CN-focused tracks. What level of service they'd be able to get away with is entirely up to CN, and I have no idea how much that might be.

Third, do you have a notion as to how much benefit would be on the table w/grade separation (at Silver)
I am assuming that the Credit River bridge just east of Georgetown will be triple-tracked, not quad-tracked, and VIA would probably need to continue to use the CN tracks in order to avoid getting stuck behind a local GO train. So the grade separation wouldn't really make much difference to them. It might maybe save a minute or two of schedule padding thanks to the improved capacity and flexibility, but nothing significant.
TrackAllocation-HaltonGS.JPG

If they do quad-track the Credit River bridge to bring the second passenger track all the way into Georgetown Station, then VIA could definitely use the passenger tracks. But then they'd be dependent on GO scheduling a large enough gap between GO trains to accommodate the "catch up" time of a much faster VIA run. This is the downside of "commercially astute" infrastructure planning, it really doesn't leave much flexibility for different speeds of services.

Attachments

• TrackAllocation-HaltonV2.JPG
    TrackAllocation-HaltonV2.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 85
  • TrackUpgrades-GuelphV2.JPG
    TrackUpgrades-GuelphV2.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
^ do you think there's a possibility they might build the grade separation to the west of the Georgetown Station literally at Silver Junction? Would there be pros and cons of building it at Silver compared to at or near the Credit River?

^ do you think there's a possibility they might build the grade separation to the west of the Georgetown Station literally at Silver Junction? Would there be pros and cons of building it at Silver compared to at or near the Credit River?
It seems like it would be far more expensive to build at the junction itself, and I don't really see any advantage of doing so. In fact it would probably be worse for GO operations since Georgetown Yard is on the north side of the corridor.

^An overpass right at Silver would be very difficult given that Highway 7 crosses over at that location.... no vertical clearance available. I suspect the BCA is imprecise about the location, seems to treat Georgetown and Silver interchangeably.

If one assumes that the more easterly meeting point is at or east of Bramalea, removal of the 8 minute padding would push the Georgetown meeting point four minutes to the west. I presume that’s why the overpass option specifies double track west of Silver. One might not need two station tracks, but I would build it with two so there is flexibility. The short stretch from the current platform to Silver could remain a single track, as the embankments are pretty steep there.

If the overpass were built, it would most logically happen on the east side of the Credit, with CN tracks shifting south to occupy the (new, as yet unbuilt) third bridge span and second track from the north, with GO being on the north track from the river west. The existing station tracks and tunnel could be utilised, however they would need an elevator installed on the platform and on the south side where the depot is. There are road overpasses east of Georgetown station so I can’t see an overpass being there, either.

There’s enough room for a new platform track between the existing main line and the GO platform.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back