News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Is Metrolinx only building 3 platforms at Mount Dennis? I know the ECLRT predates GO Expansion/RER, but it would be a shame since Weston and Bloor are getting 4. I assume that Mount Dennis will eventually get a fourth, but after construction wraps up?
Likely the 4th is where the current tracks are

Asphalt? Really??

Compare a typical train station platform in the Netherlands to the asphalt and concrete banality we have here in Toronto...

hotel-from-the-end-of.jpg

It's like we are not even trying..

Let me see.................Cooksville, Bloor, Mount Dennis, Kennedy and Millikan new platforms are concrete and most likely Weston 4th platform will be concrete to match the other platforms as well. They all have snow melting system.

Not sure if Bramalea is a P3 project or not. If it is, the reason for Asphalt so things on the cheap side to get the contract. Same can be said for the 401 expansion from the Credit River to Hwy 25 that seeing Asphalt in place of concrete.

Now you have me looking for other stations that have snow-melt installed. Is Ashphalt not a logical cover for all the melting piping?

- Paul

It is entirely possible, to lay interlocking pavers over a snow melt system.

Its been done at least hundreds of times in Toronto.

Electric systems can be installed under concrete, bluestone, bricks, asphalt and in mortar underneath brick pavers.

Hydronic systems can be a bit more fussy (glycol-based, heated liquid in pipe/tubing)

Yes the ultimate Canadian pastime. Convincing ourselves that we are better than Americans, forgetting that the rest of the world exists..

Not to mention we're often not even "ahead" or we're ahead in a superficial or exaggerated way. Canada needs to get over itself. edit: and many things the US does better.

Last edited:
^Actually, when I travel I am often impressed at how well the rest of the world suffices with something bare bones where we assume a need for nicer things.

Show me a station on any European rail system with the ridership of Bloomington. Now compare amenities.

- Paul

^The problem with Metrolinx is that they like to build palaced style parking garages, whiles sticking with the bare miminum when it comes to actual platform design. It's an issue because we should be focusing on making transit a very enticing and alternative option (something generally we dont do a good job of in Ontario)

Is Metrolinx only building 3 platforms at Mount Dennis? I know the ECLRT predates GO Expansion/RER, but it would be a shame since Weston and Bloor are getting 4. I assume that Mount Dennis will eventually get a fourth, but after construction wraps up?

3 platforms, but 4 platform faces. The middle platform is an island and services the tracks on either side of it.

Dan

^The problem with Metrolinx is that they like to build palaced style parking garages, whiles sticking with the bare miminum when it comes to actual platform design. It's an issue because we should be focusing on making transit a very enticing and alternative option (something generally we dont do a good job of in Ontario)

Not just Metrolinx, look at the TTC with platform walls made of concrete for the new stations on the Spadina extension even though the stations themselves look pretty good. This is not even just transit, there are many we can identify from our parks to our public squares I don't know why we have a penchant for getting the small details wrong in Toronto.

Not just Metrolinx, look at the TTC with platform walls made of concrete for the new stations on the Spadina extension even though the stations themselves look pretty good. This is not even just transit, there are many we can identify from our parks to our public squares I don't know why we have a penchant for getting the small details wrong in Toronto.
There is a lot of value-engineering in Toronto, and designers that have a good vision but don't focus on the small details that can make or break that vision. Unfortunately, there aren't that many designers that pay attention to materials, lighting, and other miscellaneous details.

The most significant issue I have with GO stations, especially relative to best-in-class modest stations, is the narrow width of the platforms. They would definitely be safer, and feel nicer, if the platforms were much wider. Curiously, when GTS rebuilt the Bloor station, they designed with one very wide platform and one much narrower one. (Guess which one the GO trains use most frequently.)

Some, such as Long Branch, are downright worrisome given the speeds that through trains run at.

Fixing that is not cheap, but I wonder why GO can't plan to do better in this respect.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back