News   Jul 15, 2024
 463     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 568     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

And how do you expect to fit ""ALL"" the riders into a small stations that has heat??

Why would you need to for "ALL" the riders?

Count the number of riders on the platform more than 10 minutes before a train in the summer. Those are the ones who need shelter nearby (though not necessarily ON the platform; a nearby structure with an arrival clock is sufficient). The majority of riders seem to arrive at the platform within about 5 minutes of their trains departure time; that majority doesn't need anything more than rain protection.

5 minutes outside in Southern Ontario is perfectly safe for 99.9% of the population even on the least comfortable days of the year. That last 0.1% isn't taking a GO train even on the best days.

Next we'll want heated parking lot shuttles for the 3 minute walk between their vehicle and the platform; and all while we're struggling to find funds to improve service on the line itself.

Offhand, I can't think of any shelter that's 100 metres from a platform!

Neither could I. Existing station buildings, like Oakville, are always much closer than that even from the 1st/last car.

Last edited:
Why would you need to for "ALL" the riders?

Count the number of riders on the platform more than 10 minutes before a train in the summer. Those are the ones who need shelter nearby (though not necessarily ON the platform; a nearby structure with an arrival clock is sufficient). The majority of riders seem to arrive at the platform within about 5 minutes of their trains departure time; that majority doesn't need anything more than rain protection.

5 minutes outside in Southern Ontario is perfectly safe for 99.9% of the population even on the least comfortable days of the year. That last 0.1% isn't taking a GO train even on the best days.

Next we'll want heated parking lot shuttles for the 3 minute walk between their vehicle and the platform; and all while we're struggling to find funds to improve service on the line itself.

People could also to a very un-GTA thing - dress for the weather.

I know everyone keeps asking "is GO RER (now called Rapid Rail maybe) still happening?". I don't have an answer, but Aecon's investor deck for Q3 still shows it as bidding on the Pre-works and Electrification contracts. A good sign.

I forget, will we see the contracts finalized by the end of the year/early into next year?

I'm beyond excited about this (it's my GO station)

giphy.gif

Contract Awarded for Rutherford Station Project
December 13, 2018
TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have awarded a fixed-price contract of $239 million to EllisDon Infrastructure Transit (EDIT) to design, build and finance the Rutherford Station project, in support of the province's GO Rail Expansion program.
Members of the EDIT team include:
  • Applicant Lead: EllisDon Civil Ltd.
  • Construction: EllisDon Civil Ltd.
  • Design: Amec Foster Wheeler plc.
  • Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.
EDIT was selected as the successful proponent as the result of an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third-party fairness monitor.
The project includes a new multi-level parking structure with an integrated station building, in addition to a re-design of the surface parking, kiss and ride, and bus loop. The project also brings improved pedestrian access, new rail platforms, and a second heavy rail track and provision for future third express center track, as well as a rail/road grade separation on Rutherford Road.
EDIT will commence their design work now, with construction beginning in spring 2019 and completion expected in 2023.
Visit here for more information about the Rutherford Station project.
Quick Facts:
  • The project is being delivered through IO's design, build and finance (DBF) Public-Private Partnership (P3) model, which transfers appropriate risks associated with design, construction and financing of the project to the private sector.
Quotes:
“The new Rutherford GO Station will provide customers with a better, more convenient experience when they take the GO. Our government is committed to building public transit to grow our economy and connect people with good jobs and the people and things they care about.”
Jeff Yurek, Minister of Transportation
“Infrastructure projects, including those that are improving regional transit, are critical to making life better for the people of Ontario. We are committed to making the right infrastructure investments at the right time in our biggest cities and smallest towns. Ontario is open for business.”
Monte McNaughton, Minister of Infrastructure
“We're delighted to bring major improvements to the residents of Vaughan. Lowering Rutherford Road will not only alleviate a traffic issue, but make travel safer for all residents in the area. And the new parking spaces and station building will make taking the GO easier and better. We can't wait to deliver these projects to you.”
Phil Verster, President and CEO, Metrolinx
"My commitment to the people of Vaughan and King Township was to deliver meaningful results for our families - that includes making progress on needed upgrades to all three local GO stations in Rutherford, Maple, and King City. Today's announcement demonstrates that our new government is moving swiftly to significantly expand parking capacity, improve the pedestrian experience, and reduce congestion on our roads."
Stephen Lecce, MPP, King-Vaughan
“We are pleased to announce the award of this contact. The Rutherford Station project is an important part of expanding and enhancing regional transit service and will ultimately provide improved services on the Barrie GO line.”
Ehren Cory, President and CEO, Infrastructure Ontario

"a second heavy rail track and provision for future third express center track" .... good to see that this is formally in the plan and slowly being roughed in - one less bit of construction required in a few years.

Tends to make one optimistic that the Barrie double tracking contract and the Davenport contract must still be on the to-do list.

- Paul

Just curious, has anything ever been built in Toronto and not involved EllisDon?
Yes since they are the #2 builder in Canada and have access to private money. PCL is number 1, but doesn't have that great access private money like EllisDon and pick and chose jobs they want in the first place. Both companies were family own, but now run a a true company. EllisDon was two brothers using their first name. Done work for both companies and very good at what they do.

Cue the one guy who always bitches about GO's parking garages.

It wasn't you! Just grinds my gears. If one wants to advocate against parking garages, one must also advocate for major changes to zoning policy to get high density and mixed use development around GO stations.

Last edited:
It wasn't you! Just grinds my gears. If one wants to advocate against parking garages, one must also advocate for major changes to zoning policy to get high density and mixed use development around GO stations.

Exactly. And first/last mile solutions. I’m not sure that municpal zoning decisions are what’s standing in the way here....it’s ML’s rigid “just pave it and let ‘em park” mentality - they never bother to look for a different approach.

Gosh, am I the guy?

- Paul

Nope, not you either. Trust me, I am not in love with the massive parking garages. But it's the reality we're facing. I would love for suburban neighborhoods to have quality protected bike lanes and massive bicycle parking garages. But I doubt any of our municipalities would even consider that or implement it properly. And ML is just another cog in the creaky wheel of Ontario mediocrity.

Back