News   Jul 23, 2024
 86     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 206     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 973     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I saw a lady at this crossing "beat" the train by jogging across.... with her baby in a stroller.

I had one of those experiences where I yelled at someone in frustration simply out of adrenaline.

How far north are they moving Oriole station?
They only moved it 180m north with a platform extension to south Esther Shiner Blvd. They closed the southern part of the platform and have closed the station building, with a new temporary(?) station building opened. This only slightly improves the transfer as it still doesn’t have direct access to Leslie Station.

Well, sidewalks don’t have crossing arms.

I'm not familiar with this particular crossing but they do exist:

sec09-9.jpg

Of course then there's the whole flashing light and clanging bell thing.

^Not excusing recklessness, but the Milliken (Steeles) crossing is a bit unusual in that the gates go down when northbound trains approach the station....and then go up again, while the train makes its platform stop. The gates then go down for a second time when the train is ready to leave, but crews hang way back until they see that the gates have gone dowgn completely - which in the short term amounts to gates down but train not moving. Just too many ways for someone to rationalise that it's not a "real" gates-down situation and they can cross without risk.
The safest option is to wait patiently til the gates go up, but people don't always choose the most prudent option. Sidewalk gates might be desirable here, just to defeat the first impulse.

- Paul

The first part is correct.

Instead of listening to the TTC in 2006 and going with the Mark II train upgrade - and a 8 month shutdown, the public was told by the then mayor that everything had to be LRT.
Wrong mayor, I was referring to the one that came after Miller and before Tory.

^Not excusing recklessness, but the Milliken (Steeles) crossing is a bit unusual in that the gates go down when northbound trains approach the station....and then go up again, while the train makes its platform stop. The gates then go down for a second time when the train is ready to leave, but crews hang way back until they see that the gates have gone dowgn completely - which in the short term amounts to gates down but train not moving. Just too many ways for someone to rationalise that it's not a "real" gates-down situation and they can cross without risk.
The safest option is to wait patiently til the gates go up, but people don't always choose the most prudent option. Sidewalk gates might be desirable here, just to defeat the first impulse.

- Paul

Then the would just duck under the gate. There's no definitive solution for dumb.

Is this type of circuit timing to accommodate freight movements (which wouldn't be stopping) then the second activation being manual by the GO crew?

If this was the case in the recent incident, then it would seem that pedestrians/cyclists are being hit by a very slow moving train since it has just started to move.

They only moved it 180m north with a platform extension to south Esther Shiner Blvd. They closed the southern part of the platform and have closed the station building, with a new temporary(?) station building opened. This only slightly improves the transfer as it still doesn’t have direct access to Leslie Station.

Is there any further work planned?

The reason goes beyond Metrolinx's incompetence, which I do believe is a factor, but a small one.

Upgrading an exisiting live rail system is much more time consuming and complex than starting from scratch.

I do realize that some portions of REM are not new, like the Deux Montagnes line, but they are shutting it down completely and running buses. We tried to do that with the SRT to LRT conversion and it didnt work. How Montrealers see transit progress is different than Toronto.

Also since its being funded by the Canadian Pension Plan thingy, theres cash flow and there is a demand to get it done.

However, the 2022 date is only for the South Shore part of the project. Really peanuts in size compared to RER.

And lets be honest, it will be ready in 2023, everything transit related gets delayed a year.

Actually, the south shore portion is set to be completed in mid 2021. The tunnel portion/DM conversion to du Ruisseau is meant to be done in mid 2022, with the remaining branches to be completed the following year.

Back