News   Jul 16, 2024
 626     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 569     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 711     2 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Not at first. Bramalea/Aurora/Stoufville is supposed to get them first, due to stop spacing.

One of the appendixes for the RER Business Plan documents proposed the use of electric-loco driven BiLevels on the Lakeshore Line for 15-min RER. This was the $13.5bn "Optimized" plan, not the $19bn "Full" plan.

...Though things could change in a hurry, depending on political winds.
Wow. So how are they going to do 15 minute service with diesels, without environmental concerns?

Wow. So how are they going to do 15 minute service with diesels, without environmental concerns?
It's a very good question, especially in light of a number of jurisdictions finding that the EPA Tier IV regs often aren't being met as per manufacturers' claims. Not to mention the EPA being gutted under Trump.

The latest jurisdiction to find transit vehicle exhaust being a very real concern is London, UK. (You'll remember the GO diesel exhaust story prior to this)

Public Transport Users Suck up the Diesel Fumes of the Rich
By Gary Cutlack on 14 Feb 2017 at 8:00AM
A sad truth of the air quality wars has emerged from researchers at the University of Surrey, who are warning that travelling by public transport through urban areas is extremely bad for everyone's health thanks to the way buses and trains basically vacuum up all the dirty air from the cars surrounding them and... there you go. Breathe that in while you fruitlessly attempt to connect to the Wi-Fi.

The researchers claim that public transport users might end up being exposed to eight times the level of the most dangerous particulate matter in this way, which is quite the ironic insult as it's the fumes generated by the cars of the often wealthier individual driver commuters that generates the bulk of the poor air in the first place.

The study looked at travellers in London, using cars, buses and the Underground. Exposure to the tiny PM10 particulate matter was as high as 68 micrograms for travellers on some Underground lines, which you'd think would escape the worst of it, compared with an average of just eight micrograms for car drivers up above in the sky, with windows that work and the occasional refreshing, cleansing breeze.

Study lead Dr Prashant Kumar said: "We found that there is definitely an element of environmental injustice among those commuting in London, with those who create the most pollution having the least exposure to it." [PA]

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/02/public-transport-users-suck-up-the-diesel-fumes-of-the-rich/

And of course, there's still reports of engine makes (like Cummins) being caught 'gaming' their claimed emissions standards. The 'VW Scandal' isn't so much about Volkswagen alone, it's symptomatic of a more widespread problem.

Don't really have much to say but thought it would be nice to add some pics of a JR commuter train with a combination of single deck and double deck carriages ;)

JR_East_E531_Green_Car.JPG

JR_East_E531.jpg

Data on these can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E531_series

Does ML envision a subway-level frequency? My impression is that we in the bleachers have embellished the plan.. All RER claims to be is 8-10 mins at peak and definitely not that off-peak.

- Paul

Does ML envision a subway-level frequency? My impression is that we in the bleachers have embellished the plan.. All RER claims to be is 8-10 mins at peak and definitely not that off-peak.

- Paul

Aren't they going with the all day 15min minimum headway? Or is that for the lakeshore lines only?

Aren't they going with the all day 15min minimum headway? Or is that for the lakeshore lines only?

I thought 15 mins is the target for all routes. And at that frequency, it would be 2035 or longer before any further increase were needed. The point being, that's a quantum difference in design from systems that are pumping through heavy loads on 2 minute headways.

- Paul

I thought 15 mins is the target for all routes. And at that frequency, it would be 2035 or longer before any further increase were needed. The point being, that's a quantum difference in design from systems that are pumping through heavy loads on 2 minute headways.

- Paul
I think the election promise was 15 minutes on all the GO lines they own.....the last bit ruling out, in the short term, Milton line I guess.

I think they should do something for Richmond Hill even if they get the subway extension. All day GO service to richmond hill would benefit those who don't live at Highway 7. I wonder why no one talks about this.

I believe the main issues are Metrolinx not fully owning the line, and extensive work needing to be done along the Don Valley portion of the line especially if electrification is to happen but even if not.

Back