News   Aug 15, 2024
 378     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 579     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 709     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

That mcnabb street bridge is possibly the coolest underpass I have seen, i recommend everyone check it out on streetview.

Looks to me that they are making the Georgetown yard accessible by train from Kitchener.

And this is for Brampton GO station to extend all day service to Mount Pleasant yes?

No, Georgetown is further west. It's about reducing conflicts between GO trains and CN freights between Silver Junction (where the Metrolinx-owned section of the Guelph Sub branches off the CN Halton freight mainline) and the Georgetown GO Station/yard.

The rail viaduct over the Credit River was also recently widened and double-tracked; lots of money is being spent on the outer section of the Kitchener Corridor.

What I'm interested in is what's going on with the planned new yard west of Kitchener and additional stations in Kitchener and Guelph that were in the EA for GO expansion. It's difficult to find this information on GO's website.

What I'm interested in is what's going on with the planned new yard west of Kitchener and additional stations in Kitchener and Guelph that were in the EA for GO expansion. It's difficult to find this information on GO's website.
Basically nothing, so far.

The Baden yard is on hold. They are still holding the land, and have worked on approvals, but in the near-term, they've decided to build a layover at a new bus/rail facility on Shirley Dr in east Kitchener. According to the last Metrolinx board meeting, the Shirley facility should be able to accept trains sometime in 2016. (And the bus facility sometime later)

Additional stations are also subject to demand. They are predominantly park-and-rides. Currently, there's not much benefit to be had by taking a Kitchener train instead of driving to Milton.

No, Georgetown is further west. It's about reducing conflicts between GO trains and CN freights between Silver Junction (where the Metrolinx-owned section of the Guelph Sub branches off the CN Halton freight mainline) and the Georgetown GO Station/yard.

The rail viaduct over the Credit River was also recently widened and double-tracked; lots of money is being spent on the outer section of the Kitchener Corridor.

Oh ok, they just want to end the traffic on the Guelph sub. They new stations and budget might come after the games.

LOL LOL LOL.....What did I say about elevators for James North???? NOT Working and where is the so stand by crew to fix it???

Another failure that has been standard on all GO projects requiring elevators where they are not ready on day one and are months late when they do for the opening. Lets see what they have to say about it.

Great Opening Day!!

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5728659-elevator-at-go-station-not-going/
3 hours ago | VoteDaniel Nolan
The agency that inspects elevators is on standby, waiting to get the call to approve the operation of the one at the new West Harbour GO station.

As of dinnertime Friday, the elevator was not yet functioning at the $44-million station that officially opened Thursday — in time for the 2015 Pan Am Games and Hamilton's role in it. The elevator will transport commuters three storeys between the tracks and street level.

Lynn Ramsay of the Technical Standards and Safety Authority said contractors traditionally arrange an inspection five days in advance. She said the contractor had not yet called them regarding the elevator at the West Harbour GO station.

"Given the special circumstances, it's not usual we would make amends," Ramsay said Friday night. "When it's really important, we all do our best."

She said that should the contractor contact TSSA to inspect the elevator this weekend, "we would dispatch an inspector right away — (we) would not wait until Monday."

The opening of the West Harbour station means, for the first time since April 1981, the city is being served by two rail stations. That's the month when the TH&B ended passenger service to its station on Hunter Street. That was reborn as a GO station in 1996.

The former CN Rail station, now a banquet hall, saw Via Rail pull out in 1992 and GO follow a year later.

dnolan@thespec.com

905-526-3351 | @dandundas

LOL LOL LOL.....What did I say about elevators for James North???? NOT Working and where is the so stand by crew to fix it???
You got this one right, buddy!

Thankfully, the platform can still be accessed, thanks to this wheelchair-accessible path they built on time. Saved their ass with an alternate access, apparently. I think it's designed to link to the south platform only, once the rail spur extends onwards.

2015-07-08-19-53-24-jpg.50175

That photo is especially poignant because it shows so well the quite beautiful former station that slipped through our hands. Instead, tomorrow's travellers will pass through something that looks like the entrance to a Milestones restaurant.
Happily, at least the old station is preserved and well cared for.

- Paul

I guess this was a last minute though and will do the job for the time being. It comply with ramp requirement from the looks of it.

When the tracks get built for the south and to the east, they will still need a crossing over both tracks to deal with the elevator issues unless they build a 2nd one a block west which can be done.

Now when winter comes, it could be a different story.

That photo is especially poignant because it shows so well the quite beautiful former station that slipped through our hands. Instead, tomorrow's travellers will pass through something that looks like the entrance to a Milestones restaurant.
Happily, at least the old station is preserved and well cared for.

- Paul
The door is theoretically open to repurchase it, especially if high speed trains from New York city connects to Toronto later this century, Empire Corridor electricifation connecting to GO RER Niagara electricifation network.

At least there was a Plan B.

With two platforms and tracks, the ramp can be trunctated to only access the south platform, once there is elevator access and they need to build the track outwards for through service.

Back