News   Aug 15, 2024
 321     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 492     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 653     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

THIS is stucco.. or at least a stucco look-alike (aka cheap)

B822020215Z.1_20150705171251_001_GVI1GQFS7.2_Content.jpg

via The Hamilton Spectator http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5709613-new-west-harbour-go-station-on-track-to-open-this-week/
Oh.... those precast blocks? I saw them, but they're definitely precast blocks, not stucco.

According to the dictionary definition of stucco, stucco is a plaster-like substance (cement, plaster of paris, etc) that is applied directly to a surface.

Cheap, perhaps.
Stucco, no -- it's precast blocks.
Cheap stucco is even worse than precast (like crumbly ceilings).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Either way, it still looks cheap! That colour will turn brown/grey before construction is even done.
Why the nice metal cladding for the rest, and those hideous stucco-esq pre-cast panels for this section?

Even NDP MPP Paul Miller (HamEast-SC) agrees,
"From what little I've seen here I don't think it's quality work that's for sure"
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jgreengo/status/618086645737373696

Either way, it still looks cheap! That colour will turn brown/grey before construction is even done.
Sadly, probably. But an occasional pressure-wash does wonders to durable precast panels. I can put up with that kind of precast.

This precast is far more durable than the stuff they use at strip malls -- which often crumbles and pokes holes (since they're real stucco slapped on, then painted). This stuff doesn't puncture like that, and are very pressurewash-friendly. In theory, if we fail to get Metrolinx to keep the facade clean, theoretically a renegade local resident with a long garden hose, extension cord, and a Canadian Tire pressurewasher, and that small patch of non-metal precast is sparkling new again in 15 minutes of work in 10 years.

They may have intentionally chosen that type of semi-ugly concrete precast panels, for pressure-washing grafitti without damage. I've pressure-washed similiar material (precast concrete-block topping of a brick wall, sidewalk-material concrete driveway) and they pressure-wash wonderfully well in mere seconds.

At least.... it seems better done than many GO stations. Have you seen the crap quality they're building in Burlington, including weather damage to unfinished sections? It has even worse seams than this station. Compared to that, we're in pretty dandy shape, assuming they weatherstripped well.

Not nearly as concerned about simple dirty-weathering of durable, pressure-washable precast. I am more worried about leaks, rusting sections, vandalism damage, grafitti in non-grafitti-proofed areas (Especially dastardly glass-scratch grafitti), and rust-streaks, all of which can require expensive fixes or overhauls.

Yes, cheap. But so is a lot of GO's recent station infrastructure, and we apparently got much, much better (on average) treatment of West Harbour. The attention to detail is adequate, could be better, but adequate given the rushing.

Let's put a very critical eye out when we walk through the station in person, and gladly give our "little glitches bug fix" list to the Customer Service booth, and tweet/mail a copy to Metrolinx/GO. They do listen to public feedback even if they don't address them as quickly as we'd like.

Last edited:
They managed to complete enough facade to actually look usable.

Tweeted by Steven Del Luca:

CJPmWdnWIAAxqCO.jpg

I thought they would do this brick accent work AFTER PanAm.
Looks better than I expected.

Attachments

• CJPmWdnWIAAxqCO.jpg
    CJPmWdnWIAAxqCO.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 688
Thanks everyone.

Why the nice metal cladding for the rest, and those hideous stucco-esq pre-cast panels for this section?

Even NDP MPP Paul Miller (HamEast-SC) agrees,
"From what little I've seen here I don't think it's quality work that's for sure"
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jgreengo/status/618086645737373696

Your use of "even" suggests that you thought a local MPP that was not part of the Liberal government was going to show up and say "great, what the government did here is great!"? I would have used "even" if he had showed up and said that ;)

Del Duca never misses an opportunity to perform his self-congratulatory BS.

Pretty much his job description these days.

It's a commuter train station not opera house or museum, perfectly fine for that use.

I personally like it. Adds some warmth to the structure, and permanence.

Reminds me of Union's South entrance

Agreed. And it matches the color and pattern of the pavement.

NDP Paul Millar MPP complains about rushed quality all over the place. Little details like stones unevenly set on the sidewalks, caused him to almost trip twice.

Hope Metrolinx will fix that -- e.g. some careful tamping of the sidewalk stones, to flatten the surface out a little bit. Gotta be smooth for this winter's snowplows, or we'll see lots of chipping. When we're in the station ourselves we'll give Metrolinx our feedback.

NDP Paul Millar MPP complains about rushed quality all over the place. Little details like stones unevenly set on the sidewalks, caused him to almost trip twice.

Hope Metrolinx will fix that -- e.g. some careful tamping of the sidewalk stones, to flatten the surface out a little bit. Gotta be smooth for this winter's snowplows, or we'll see lots of chipping. When we're in the station ourselves we'll give Metrolinx our feedback.

Oh ya.. how dare someone bring light to shoddy workmanship. I guess we should all be Yes-Men? Just be happy with the scrapings?

"People who are heading down to West Harbour may want to watch their step, warned MPP Paul Miller. The Hamilton East—Stoney Creek New Democrat called the station a "rush job," evident by the uneven stonework recently installed for the minister's photo opportunity.

"It's uneven, it's been rushed, a lot of this wasn't here yesterday," Miller said. "I've almost tripped three times over the uneven stones. At least do it right because it's going to be here for a lot of years after the Pan Am Games are done.

"From what little I've seen here I don't think it's quality work, that's for sure." "

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...s-street-go-station-opens-this-week-1.3139638

Yes, mdrejhon, it is open. But NO we should not be happy with what we got! We should get QUALITY, not hack jobs like the Stadium (still no water fountains, and there wont be for the PanAm Games either).

Here's a close up of that crap material they plastered onto the wall this week to get this 'finished' 'in time'.

C038501C-6626-4830-AEF3-B641BCD134AE_zpsfmnxbse6.jpg

taken by me today

I guess my main concern/issue is with the Government's inability to find a reliable, quality contractor.

Or maybe it's the Construction Industry in general?

The Stadium was hacked together, delayed by a year due to stupid mistakes (poor caulking causing water damage, wrong-sized rooms, even a serious engineering oversight).

This station was going well til the last two weeks (except for that time contractors dumped cement down and into the sewer).

I'm super concerned over the Province being behind the LRT Build.
How delayed will it be?
Will we end up with Lyle Langley's design?
Will we suffer the same fates as Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook?!

• We can be critics, and we should indeed keep a list of things we think can reasonably (from a taxpayer perspective) revisit after PanAm, like a touchup checklist.

Some are fixable, like uneven stones or loose panels. And some are not easily, like bad design decisions. Save up a list (I will have mine), even if I tend towards the more optimistic. Send them off to Metrolinx and Cc: the city, maybe even also a printed hardcopy via registered mail or fedex so it sits like an elephant on a bureaucrat's desk or handed over to a construction manager to merge into their issues list. When hitting the right channels, they do listen, even if execution may be spotty.

Last edited:
For the stadium water fountains, a stupid oversight, but not necessarily intentional for water sales. They are at least putting water bottle fillers there till PanAm is over.

I will get to see the stadium meeting rooms, when I tag along to one of the Sherman Hub community meetings with my spouse who goes to these, an office in the stadium building will be their new "headquarters".

Update from Metrolinx on Burlington station.

"At this time, we expect to partially open the new station building sometime in late fall, with full completion expected in 2016."

Back