News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Globe: TTC's hybrids fail to save amount of fuel it hyped

This is my comment to the article

I was told by a foreman at a TTC Garage (I'm also an empoloyee) that the hybrid buses are junk. They offer no fuel savings over the standard diesel buses, but cost $250,000 more. The only reason the TTC got the hybrid buses is to look like they're being green and environmentally friendly. Its all for public image

A better alternative to the hybrid, CNG, clean diesel, or diesel bus:

Lyon-C1.JPG
Budapest-860-2.jpg

Lyon.cristalis.jpg
Rome-2-labia85118509.JPG

The Trolley Bus!

With low floor and rear windows.

Two related questions I have..
1. Are the environmental benefits listed in the article coming to be or are they reduced as we'll.
2. What happened to our fuel contract renewal. If I recall correctly, it came up in the summer when oi, gas and diesel prices were at their peak. Did we end up renewing or was it deferred? With oil prices plummeting, I hope the TTC didn't lock in to a really expensive contract.

yes, but the difference is that the trolley bus would run on electricity all the time except for during power failures.

actually, instead of a backup diesel engine, maybe it could have a diesel generator to generate electricity (but only if it would be less weight than a diesel engine & transmission, etc.)

better yet, scrap the diesel engine and/or generator and just have an electric trolley with a battery backup and have a backup power plant for the TTC trolly, streetcar and subway system.

one of the biggest arguments against streetcars and trolleys is the power failure scenario. a separate TTC power grid would solve that. but then again, how often do we have 2003 blackout scenarios? would it be really worth it? probably not.

That is exactly what the TTC's current hybrids are, the diesel engine is just a generator, and there is no transmission.

I also don't think it would be worth the cost for a backup power facility for streetcars and trolly buses, If their was a prolonged city wide power outage then people would just be staying home.

Found a video of a European underground station for a LRT and a guided trollybus. Just follow this link and this link. Something that a diesel bus cannot use without a great deal of additional ventilation, as well as more height in the tunnels for air circulation.

Trolley's are fine for downtown, but I doubt they are feasible for most of the 416. The cost of putting up the infrastructure in most parts of the city would probably outweigh the fuel savings. And its doubtful many residents (even downtowners) will consent to having unsightly wires overhead anymore.

We also have to remember that it wasn't entirely the TTC's decision to go with hybrids. The grant from the Federal and Provincial governments were dependent on the TTC purchasing hybrids.

Par for the course at the TTC - The SRT, the earlier Orion PoS buses and CNG Buses are just two other examples. The TTC could have investigated, of course, if funds for "green technologies" would have included re-building the ETB system.

Trolley's are fine for downtown, but I doubt they are feasible for most of the 416. The cost of putting up the infrastructure in most parts of the city would probably outweigh the fuel savings. And its doubtful many residents (even downtowners) will consent to having unsightly wires overhead anymore.

I think if you bury the existing wires people will be a bit more receptive. Saying that we're going from 10 wires to 2 wires sounds alot better than "we're putting up wires"

By extending the Sheppard line into Downsview and then North along Finch, a large number of buses could easily be removed. The same goes for Sheppard line to STC, Bloor-Danforth to McCowan and STC, and the DRL.

LRTs would provide slower service, not meet with ridership requirements and probably require express buses to be used, i.e. RT. Eglinton Crosstown, the Jane LRT, etc would certainly help in that regard as well.

Back