News   Jul 22, 2024
 393     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 574     0 

Globe: Olympic Spirit Closing!

The Cdn Music Hall of Fame seems a better tenant to me for that spot. Since they are gone from Metropolis without a word, I'll bet that Pen Equity will soon make a big announcement that they are relocating to the Olympic Spirit site.
This sounds very plausible to me, especially since there's been no media mention of The Canadian Music Hall of Fame not happening.

Olympic Spirit

Never mind the damn apple store....

This spot is perfect for the Music Hall of Fame. What a great opportunity to raise the profile of both the Hall and the Square by combining the synergies of each to produce a museum/outdoor venue that will energize the entire area.

If properly promoted and programmed, this is a genuine moment to realize the potential of this relationship and to contribute to the commercial and artistic success of the somewhat moribund Dundas Square.

With Metropolis coming online soon, surely this is something to seriously think about...

I always thought that Metropolis would be a little more amusement-parkish. Maybe with a state of the art arcade or an all night bowling alley. Some good 'Clifton Hill' tack to go along with the theme restaurants, cinemas and a music hall of fame. It definately would have been cheesy and touristy but would that have been so bad for Young/Dundas? As it is Metropolis is evolving into mainly a cinema with a food court. Except for the movies in the evening I don't see it being a big draw.

I agree. Something along the lines of Playdium and some sort of bowling alley would be terrific here.

The arcade up the street might be a lot of competition for an arcade at Metropolis though.

Given what happened to Playdium at John + Richmond, I wouldn't count on that.

I'd wonder, though, about a de facto move of World's Biggest Bookstore here--that could work...

I agree that the Canadian Music Hall of Fame should find a true home here. Think of the excitment of performances in the Square combined with the fanfare of inductions to the Hall right next door. Kinda takes your breath away.....sorry, that might be just another pollution warning.

Anyway, I think that this idea merits some further thought as it adds another element to the idea of Dundas Square as an entertaiment venue.

Given what happened to Playdium at John + Richmond, I wouldn't count on that.

This is a far better location for an arcade than John and Richmond. They figured it was so popular in Mississauga that it would work downtown too - the problem is, there are so many other things to do in that area going to Playdium isn't at the top of the list. Combine that with the cost and it just wasn't going to work.

Yonge and Dundas is perfect for an arcade - provided they keep the costs relatively reasonable. High traffic, lots of young people (not that only young people use arcades of course), families visiting, etc. The one up the street does extremely well...of course, it could also be the reason one at Metropolis doesn't quite work out.

I remember reading somewhere that there was supposed to be a bowling alley in Metropolis but I have heard no mention if it recently. I think we need a bowling alley downtown and Metropolis would be a good location. I thought Metropolis was supposed to be an entertainment/amusement centre, not just a shopping centre. What happened to the recreation/amusement/entertainment part? I know it will have a cinema but is that it? It's kinda disappointing but I do like the look and SIZE of the building. (I admit, I'm a size queen, so bigger is better:D ) Olympic Spirit could use some amusement/entertainment aspect too. I'd love to see it used for something other then just regular retail, we already have enough of that. Who needs another clothing store downtown? We need some fun!!!

Maybe Metropolis should have a 5-pin bowling alley. And everybody working there should speak in exaggerated Canadian accents.

"Hey, Toronto is just like I saw it on the Simpsons"

well, there's still plenty of room in the 2 lowest levels - i can't think of any retailer that would want space down there.

It shouldn't be retail, I'd prefer a museum, entertainment centre, music centre, recreation centre, something a little more fun. With Metropolis going up across the street quickly, it needs something that would compliment it as well as liven up Dundas square.

Speaking of Metropolis, that monster swallowed almost all of the Ryerson parkinglot and I'm happy about that. When seen from the Ryerson side, it is MASSIVE!!! It's unusual to see a new building built around another building. Now how are they going to fill up a retail building that big? I hope it works because if it doesn't that will be one huge dead building. Hopefully, it wont drain energy and people off Yonge st. like the Eaton Centre did but it's not a mall, right?

If it walks, talks, etc...
quack.jpg

Now how are they going to fill up a retail building that big? I hope it works because if it doesn't that will be one huge dead building. Hopefully, it wont drain energy and people off Yonge st. like the Eaton Centre did but it's not a mall, right?

Unlike the Eaton Centre, most of the major tenants in Metropolis will have access directly from the street.

As a customer, I would want to access say, FutureShop from the street entrance and then leave from that entrance also. I don't think that Metropolis will be a browsing mall per say. People will go inside to access the upper level restaurants, to get into the AMC theatres, but I think it will probably attract more people to the area cancelling out any "streetlife sucking effect".

Oddly enough, it sounds like a Manulife-esque kind of "mall" (maybe the cinemas do it)

Back