News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 560     0 

Globe: Olympic Spirit Closing!

Coulda sworn that the music hall of fame was going to be on floors 5 and 6.

They've got some construction pics as well:
1152306670.jpg

To be frank, it never looked completed. Nor did it look inviting. It constantly looked like a "work in progress." Moreover, I rarely saw any literature or media advertising the place.

It had a very poor profile back there. I know it's there, but unless I made a mental note to look at it as I'd walk by, I'd not even notice it. There was nothing to draw foot traffic over to it, by day or night.

Shoppers Drug Mart is new, and yes the Music Hall of Fame is gone. I don't see where else it would fit in Metropolis now. I guess its going into Olympic Spirit, and my assumption is that a restaurant will be on-top having a Music theme involved. It might compete well or badly with Hard Rock Cafe. My assumption with the restaurant on-top makes sense since its already there and easier to sell to a buyer.

Space in the nose of Metropolis appears available on every floor except 2 (Future Shop...but only connected via a long narrow walkway) and 10 (PenEquity management).

I wonder if big chain food joints like McDonald's, Starbucks, etc., will seriously try to get into Torch...or if the Music HoF was taken off the Metropolis leasing info because it's already signed up for Torch?

I always thought that Metropolis would be a little more amusement-parkish. Maybe with a state of the art arcade or an all night bowling alley. Some good 'Clifton Hill' tack to go along with the theme restaurants, cinemas and a music hall of fame. It definately would have been cheesy and touristy but would that have been so bad for Young/Dundas? As it is Metropolis is evolving into mainly a cinema with a food court. Except for the movies in the evening I don't see it being a big draw.

I hope the Music Hall of Fame isn't going to the Torch building. It would better to have something that would attract people from the vicinity on a daily basis.

Ryerson's Black Star photo-agency collection maybe, as Barber suggested in the Globe yesterday?

Just for the hell of it, I posted current leasing details regarding Metropolis... at the end of the Metropolis thread over in the Projects and Construction section.

In regards to Olympic Spirit's reuse, a front door for Ryerson, or more specifically, a venue for the Black Star collection seems inappropriate to me for this building - I think there is too much window space in it for something that will require lots of wall space. The Cdn Music Hall of Fame seems a better tenant to me for that spot. Since they are gone from Metropolis without a word, I'll bet that Pen Equity will soon make a big announcement that they are relocating to the Olympic Spirit site.

How did they expect anyone to go there with no advertising?

I'd like to see a large, architecturally interesting office tower. Look at all the office towers built in Times Square the last 10 years...something along those lines.

Well, that's what I hope for too. The Hakim site would be the prime candidate, not to mention the parking lot beside the Torch building as well as the parking lot across from the Bond Hotel.

I hope the CMHF does move to the Torch. The Metropolis really is all restaurants and fast food outlets. There's really nothing necessarily that would draw them in except the cinema, and the other stores that have streetlevel presence (meaning you wouldn't have to go inside!),

The Canadian Music Hall of Fame might be a lot better at Torch - they could fix it up, turn the Torch into a horn or some other musical instrument(s). It's also right behind the Hard Rock Cafe, so you'll have the music (or semi-music) related stuff grouped together.

Two words....Apple Store.

It's not like they've got much in the way of sunk costs at the Eaton Centre.

Back