1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.7K     2 

Globalive a Go

cacruden

Member Bio
Reaction score
Canada allows wireless carrier Globalive

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian Industry Minister Tony Clement said on Friday the government will allow wireless start-up Globalive to operate in Canada, overturning an earlier regulatory ruling that denied the company a license.

Clement said that Globalive meets Canadian ownership and control requirements, and can enter the market without delay.

Globalive plans to launch national wireless service in Canada to challenge the market dominance of incumbents Rogers Communications Inc, BCE Inc and Telus Corp

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) ruled in October that Globalive was effectively controlled by its Egyptian-based financial backer, Orascom Telecom and therefore did not comply with the country's foreign ownership rules.

(Reporting by Randall Palmer, writing by Susan Taylor)

Yes, no one forced me to sign any contract with Rogers. That's why I don't have any contract with Rogers.

I have Rogers broadband internet, which I have to use, unless I am willing to use dial-up instead or not use the internet altogether. Alternatively, I could use the internet at school only, or buy a laptop and use the wireless internet at school. So I guess you are right, I have lots of choices. Thank you for opening my eyes, Chinese Jamaican bloke.

Nobody forced you to sign for expensive contracts/plan at rogers and I will be waiting for the day when the same cell phone complainers whine about Globalive

Just as nobody forces you to use proper punctuation in any of your posts.
The only wireless provider that truly had a customer-first approach was Fido, and as soon as City Fido was looming, Rogers snapped it up and quickly turned the company into a Rogers clone. The Canadian market is pathetic, from older model handsets, horrible infrastructure and pricing plans that are just plain ludicrous compared to the rest of the free world, Globalive will be a very welcome addition. The data packages floating around for smartphones represent a blatent cash grab from the big providers. I'd love to see a monthly plan accessible by everyone for under $50 with a reasonable amount of data and simple talk/text plans for $25 or so with all the usual perks AFTER tax, then we'd finally be in line with our American cousins.

Just as nobody forces you to use proper punctuation in any of your posts.
The only wireless provider that truly had a customer-first approach was Fido, and as soon as City Fido was looming, Rogers snapped it up and quickly turned the company into a Rogers clone. The Canadian market is pathetic, from older model handsets, horrible infrastructure and pricing plans that are just plain ludicrous compared to the rest of the free world, Globalive will be a very welcome addition. The data packages floating around for smartphones represent a blatent cash grab from the big providers. I'd love to see a monthly plan accessible by everyone for under $50 with a reasonable amount of data and simple talk/text plans for $25 or so with all the usual perks AFTER tax, then we'd finally be in line with our American cousins.

Horrible pricing plans? there are cheaper plans available. Data packages and smart phones are rip offs, when you can check email and go on the internet on a laptop or Desktop PCs

Horrible pricing plans? there are cheaper plans available. Data packages and smart phones are rip offs, when you can check email and go on the internet on a laptop or Desktop PCs

Yes, horrible. To each their own I guess.
Smart phones are so much more than just email and internet - in fact you don't even need a smart phone to do either. I'm using an LG Xenon (touch screen with full slide out keyboard) and have unlimited WAP browsing which is surprisingly good as the phone has an excellent browser and supports 3G allowing me to surf the net and gmail to my heart's content. If that's all anyone needed a smart phone for then RIM would have been out of business a long time ago...

Do you work for a telco? You seem to be rather defensive of their oligopolistic business models.

Well, pay as you go offers inexpensive service, provided you hardly use it. Anyone who actually uses their phone would find PAYGo pretty expensive, too.

I've checked out Wind's plans. They seem pretty reasonable, and will only get better as their network grows as well as their customer base. You can get a fully loaded voice and data plan for $80 per month, with actually unlimited data.

Wind's current network seems to only cover the GTA and future expansion plans will only cover the expanded GTA (Milton to Oshawa). Do their phones work outside of the coverage area at all?

They jump onto the Rogers/Fido network when outside of their coverage area in Canada and I think T-Mobile in the US. They're on a different band though so you can't use an unlocked Rogers/Fido phone on Wind or vice versa.

No. I am advocating that people should choose cheaper plans like a pay as you go

I think you've missed the point entirely. Pay as you go cheaper? Are you serious? :D

I can only speak for my own personal experiences. My wife has a Rogers personal wireless plan, I have a Blackberry business plan. We also use Rogers highs-speed wireless and Digital TV.

Here is my personal experience with Rogers: they charge me and all the business users at my company 60 cents per text while in the United States. Many of the people who work at my company do use texting while abroad, and Rogers is milking them for all it's worth. The onus they say is on each of us to call Rogers everytime we're travelling to work out a data, roaming and texting plan while in the U.S. It ends up costing our company a lot of money.

Rogers also charges me about $40 for 40 minutes of roaming in the U.S, plus $20 for 40 text messages. And forget about surfing the net on your Blackberry or downloading a Word or Excel document. I made the mistake of downloading an Excel document, it ended up costing my company $150!! Rogers blamed me that I didn't buy enough data. I spent bloody hell $30-$40 bucks for a data package before I left, I thought that would more than cover my download of a single Excel document. That's insane.

In the end, few users of Rogers blackberrys in Canada ever download documents from their devices. Canadians are terrified of doing anything with their mobiles especially the blackberrys for fear of outrageous data charges.

Meanwhile, my U.S. counterparts have unlimited voice and texting all over North America for $75 a month on their Blackberry's with Verizon and AT&T. They can get unlimited data plans for another $20 on their blackberrys. That's what I'm talking about.

The average Blackberry plan with Rogers at my company: $172 per user. The average Blackberry plan for our U.S. counterparts is $96 a month.

Last edited:

Back