News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 749     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

General railway discussions

Random quiz for you all:

What is the busiest passenger railroad border crossing between Canada and the US? - It's probably not what you think!

Random quiz for you all:

What is the busiest passenger railroad border crossing between Canada and the US? - It's probably not what you think!

I would have assumed it was Blaine Washington.

Which would seem to be verified by the internet.

1688577908509.png

* From International Falls down, to my understanding, there are no passenger trains crossing the border, as such I assume these passengers by bus that also rode Amtrak and are ticketed as such.

View attachment 490042

* From International Falls down, to my understanding, there are no passenger trains crossing the border, as such I assume these passengers by bus that also rode Amtrak and are ticketed as such.
There are no cross-border passenger rail services on any other than the top 3 listed above, but I wasn’t aware that Amtrak would offer cross-border bus tickets for any other cross-border connections than Vancouver-Seattle…

There are no cross-border passenger rail services on any other than the top 3 listed above, but I wasn’t aware that Amtrak would offer cross-border bus tickets for any other cross-border connections than Vancouver-Seattle…

View attachment 490042

Apologies - I should have clarified by Pre-covid numbers, which were far larger and not thrown off..

There is actually a fourth crossing - a tourist train in Skagway, Alaska, which operates into BC and the Yukon. In 2019, 103,000 passengers crossed the border on the train.. over 15% more than crossed in Blaine.

1688585682444.png

800px-Map_White_Pass_and_Yukon_Route_en.png

The last few years they have not come out on top as they were not operating.. but 2023 numbers have them back at second place again now as they have resumed operations:

1688585878552.png

I'm not certain that they do; but I was wonder how else you get train passenger numbers where there are no passenger trains?

Who would thought more Train Passengers would be between Alaska and the Yukon than Washington and BC. Washington and BC was my first choice.

The only place I know of where passenger trains cross from Canada to the US would be NF and Quebec. What I have seen at NF has been small numbers and no idea for Quebec.

Don't know where Amtrak has buses crossing into Canada and if so, out in the mid west. Don't recall seeing any bus routes into Canada for over a decade or so.

As for freight train crews, are they counting only Canadian crews or both country crews? Totally misleading numbers unless they think crews will buy stuff while in the other country. Know a few engineers who did the Buffalo run would stop by the old Kmart in NF and buy tires and other things to take home.

I would assume so. I was on the Amtrak Maple Leaf train yesterday for a day trip to Niagara Falls. It was only about 60% occupied by the looks of it and more than 3/4 of the people on it got off in NF, ON. Out of the 4 cars, 1 was closed, 1 is half business / cafe car, and two were economy. This was middle of summer and tourist season. There were a lot of British tourists on as well as families like mine on a day trip. I did see a lot of what looked like American tourists heading back home and ready to board in NF, ON to go to the US. It seems that the Maple Leaf service serves as a market for NF tourists and a milk run for upstate NY. My guess is that given the long trip times there are few to no passengers that actually go Toronto-New York. It’s cheaper and more comfortable to fly than take a gruelling 12hr train ride.

I would assume so. I was on the Amtrak Maple Leaf train yesterday for a day trip to Niagara Falls. It was only about 60% occupied by the looks of it and more than 3/4 of the people on it got off in NF, ON. Out of the 4 cars, 1 was closed, 1 is half business / cafe car, and two were economy. This was middle of summer and tourist season. There were a lot of British tourists on as well as families like mine on a day trip. I did see a lot of what looked like American tourists heading back home and ready to board in NF, ON to go to the US. It seems that the Maple Leaf service serves as a market for NF tourists and a milk run for upstate NY. My guess is that given the long trip times there are few to no passengers that actually go Toronto-New York. It’s cheaper and more comfortable to fly than take a gruelling 12hr train ride.
You don't know how many people board between Buffalo and NY and inbetween so that's not a fair analysis.

You don't know how many people board between Buffalo and NY and inbetween so that's not a fair analysis.
True but my point was more about the cross border market. I’m sure there is demand between Buffalo and NYC and places in between. The journey is shorter and no long border delay (~2hrs). Heck even going to Buffalo from Toronto on this train doesn’t make sense as it will take 4hrs one way when driving would take 2hrs. While you can do a day trip on this train to Niagara from Toronto, you can’t to Buffalo as you would only get a few hours in Buffalo before you’d have to catch the return train.

True but my point was more about the cross border market. I’m sure there is demand between Buffalo and NYC and places in between. The journey is shorter and no long border delay (~2hrs). Heck even going to Buffalo from Toronto on this train doesn’t make sense as it will take 4hrs one way when driving would take 2hrs. While you can do a day trip on this train to Niagara from Toronto, you can’t to Buffalo as you would only get a few hours in Buffalo before you’d have to catch the return train.
You are assuming too many things with no facts.

Not everyone has a car to get to NF/Buffalo as well doing a day trip. Not everyone is going to NYC or points in between, but could be going west.

That so call 2 hr drive can end up being 3-4 hr drive depending on the road conditions and getting across the Peace Bridge. I have been in some of those longer trips both ways.

... My guess is that given the long trip times there are few to no passengers that actually go Toronto-New York. It’s cheaper and more comfortable to fly than take a gruelling 12hr train ride.

It's also more comfortable and more scenic to take the Adirondack to Montreal then Corridor to Toronto if for some reason you did want a train from Manhatten to Toronto.

Back