News   Apr 19, 2024
 90     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 431     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 649     1 

General railway discussions

That is what the American's did with with PTC and they had to keep pushing out the deadline because the railways weren't ready and they ended up with a patchwork of different incompatible standards.
Mandate interoperability and define a series of tests, then.

You want to be punitive: penalties if conversion and tests not met by a timeframe.

You expect the over 300 different companies (both railroads and private companies) that own rail cars to come to an agreement on a new standard?

Railroad Car Owners
Private Car Owners
You could use this argument for literally any standard created in any industrial space - but obviously they do get created and adhered to (with varying levels of success).

There has to be enough of a carrot or stick for the top players in a space - the one representing most of the assets/sales - to come together and build out that standard - and the remaining players will slowly fall in line.

What’s your proposed alternative? Do nothing because it’s too hard?

You expect the over 300 different companies (both railroads and private companies) that own rail cars to come to an agreement on a new standard?

Railroad Car Owners
Private Car Owners
They've agreed to a bunch of other standards (wheel spacing, coupler height and size, brake line location/pressure/force, car sizes, weights, etc.) that everyone needs to abide by to allow for interoperability as it is. One more, especially considering it can be done as an addition to a number of already-existing components as an overlay, as opposed to outright replacement shouldn't be seen as "the bridge too far".

Dan

You could use this argument for literally any standard created in any industrial space - but obviously they do get created and adhered to (with varying levels of success).

The key part of that statement "with varying levels of success." Most new standards fail.

There has to be enough of a carrot or stick for the top players in a space - the one representing most of the assets/sales - to come together and build out that standard - and the remaining players will slowly fall in line.

What’s your proposed alternative? Do nothing because it’s too hard?

If we are going to move to a new standard (I am not convinced that we should) it would be better for the new standard to come from the FRA (with input from the the railroads).

They've agreed to a bunch of other standards (wheel spacing, coupler height and size, brake line location/pressure/force, car sizes, weights, etc.) that everyone needs to abide by to allow for interoperability as it is. One more, especially considering it can be done as an addition to a number of already-existing components as an overlay, as opposed to outright replacement shouldn't be seen as "the bridge too far".

Dan

Most of those were agreed to over a century ago, before there were so many players in the game. There was also an economic advantage to agreeing to a standard where there was no standard before, or an evolution of the standard which was backwards compatible with the previous standard.

The key part of that statement "with varying levels of success." Most new standards fail.
Of course. Nothing is a guaranteed success. I’m acknowledging that, and saying that we have to try regardless.
If we are going to move to a new standard (I am not convinced that we should) it would be better for the new standard to come from the FRA (with input from the the railroads).
This agrees with my initial proposal: mandate expected behavior, a timeline and a test kit, and let the private sector figure out the best way to achieve it. If that has to be done through the FRA that’s fine. The industry could also come up with their own working group. I really don’t care - and neither should anyone as long as the outcomes are met.

The policy statement that is needed as a regulatory mandate is pretty simple - something like

"By January 1 20XX Every freight train will have

a) a system of brake control and operator oversight which is separate from, and independent of, the existing system operating through trainline air pressure, and
b) a means to make and sustain brake applications continuously throughout its operation"

Let railroads and suppliers figure the rest out.

- Paul

May 5
Something you don't see everyday on RR these days. Only noticed it after I was shooting other things, but traffic keep blocking my view as well pushing the zoom to get a closer shot of the caboose. It seem to be sitting there for a few minutes for some reason.
52055514098_509710fbab_b.jpg

^That van is in maintenance of way service rather than train service.

Where cabeese are still used these days, it’s mostly to provide a “shoving platform” - a safer option for workers protecting a backup move - so they don’t have to hang off the side of a freight car while the train backs up. Often the doors to the car are welded shut, so there is no access to the interior.

I don’t know what this particular van was doing in your shot, but it’s spring, and the MOW forces are on the job.

- Paul

^That van is in maintenance of way service rather than train service.

Where cabeese are still used these days, it’s mostly to provide a “shoving platform” - a safer option for workers protecting a backup move - so they don’t have to hang off the side of a freight car while the train backs up. Often the doors to the car are welded shut, so there is no access to the interior.

I don’t know what this particular van was doing in your shot, but it’s spring, and the MOW forces are on the job.

- Paul
I was shooting the Edge Tower when I noticed the caboose. If I shot the caboose after taking that shot, would have got the shots I wanted most likely as transport trucks were blocking the view when trying to get a shot before my bus show up.

I assume it was an MOW since it white with freshly painted DM&E gondola cars in front of it. Its rare to see them, but have seen a few. Saw one a few years ago in BN El paso yard that belong to a Mexico RR but couldn't get a good shot of it. Seen some on short lines mainline trains. Have seen a few with crews in the caboose,

With it sitting there, it was saying some work was taking place and hoping it was still there when I return an hour later to get close up shots of it, but not to be had.

Back