News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 878     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

General railway discussions

Last edited:

Interesting! The entire story is worth a read, but a couple quotes that jumped out at me were:

The diesel fuel tanks on the modified unit have been replaced by the extraction battery system and the cooling system and radiator fans have been replaced by the hydrogen storage.

It is amazing that the hydrogen tanks will fit in the same space as the cooling system for the diesel engine.

“When we purchase a locomotive, they are typically 50 year assets,” Mulligan explained. “If we were to invest in Tier 4 locomotives today, we would quickly find ourselves post-2050 still burning diesel fuel.”

It is amazing that they expect their locomotives to last that long. By converting an existing locomotive to H2, they can experiment without making as big a commitment.

Article in this morning's Globe and Mail on the proposed rail service between Calgary and Banff.

The article was not paywalled from the 'Canada' page, for me, at time of posting.

A few excerpts:

1638970276882.png

'***

1638970312992.png

Lots more in the actual article.

Tentative price $40 for out-of-market passengers, locals $20

Article in this morning's Globe and Mail on the proposed rail service between Calgary and Banff.

The article was not paywalled from the 'Canada' page, for me, at time of posting.

A few excerpts:

View attachment 367832

'***

View attachment 367833

When I clicked the link, it was paywalled, but found the same/similar article here:

Unfortunately it was paywalled off for me, but I found this article with more info that seems to be an open link:

https://www.railway-technology.com/projects/calgary-banff-passenger-rail-project/

(Note: There's a big gap in the middle of this article in my browser, but scrolling down revealed more info.)

Edit to add: Thanks @roger1818, we posted at the same time so I hadn't seen your link yet, but it has far more detail than mine. Great find!

Last edited:
^It’s interesting how the financing is said to have been put together, with an eye to managing both the risk to private investors as well as the risk to the taxpayer.

The environmental and Indigenous consultations will prove a challenge. I wonder what the economic upside to First Nations might need to be to obtain their support, and how much environmental mitigation might cost (one has to expect this will require more than the average attention, and may lead to a new higher standard), and has this been built into the numbers yet.

It does seem to lead towards a win-win-win scenario: gives Ottawa a way to put federal money in up front thus showing support for Alberta’s economic development, protecting the provincial risk while leveraging the economic potential of Alberta tourism, while finding the least environmentally intrusive way of getting the greatest number of tourist dollars into the Banff area.

Makes one think there are more legs to this than one might have believed earlier.

Of course, one wonders how this can move this far this fast (including CIB taking a public stand) when HFR has moved so slowly…. but maybe this is the political equaliser that HFR needs to win over voters in some other parts of the nation.

- Paul

A few excerpts:

View attachment 367832

'***

View attachment 367833

I love that this being proposed - it's a no-brainer to offer a non-car transit link between Alberta's biggest city and a destination for active tourism.

Now how about that Toronto-Collingwood/Blue Mountain rail link...

I wonder what the economic upside to First Nations might need to be to obtain their support,

The article says that eventually there will be seven stops, so building a station for the Stony Nakoda Nation’s Morley Reserve might be enough to make the project a net positive for the nation.

and how much environmental mitigation might cost (one has to expect this will require more than the average attention, and may lead to a new higher standard),

Hard to say for sure, but given that it will be "a new dedicated line built within the existing CP corridor," that should make it easier. It seems as though at least some of the corridor had previously had double track, so that should also help.

I love that this being proposed - it's a no-brainer to offer a non-car transit link between Alberta's biggest city and a destination for active tourism.

Agreed.

Now how about that Toronto-Collingwood/Blue Mountain rail link...

All you need to do is convince a private investment company that it would be profitable and to fund the project.

All you need to do is convince a private investment company that it would be profitable and to fund the project.
I would hope we can do better than that. In the spirit of prioritizing the health of the environment and decreasing reliance on cars, the Ontario government should invest in the infrastructure.

The article says that eventually there will be seven stops, so building a station for the Stony Nakoda Nation’s Morley Reserve might be enough to make the project a net positive for the nation.

I know nothing about this particular First Nation, so I’m simply not assuming how they might react. Depending on their demographics and current level of development, they might be supportive in return for job opportunities, infrastructure, and/or compensation. They may however have unresolved disputes or grievances that may stand in the way of quick agreement. Or they may oppose any or all further intrusion in their traditional lands. I’m not saying any of this is true, I’m just not assuming a quick yes - there will have to be discussions to know the positions and alternatives.

Hard to say for sure, but given that it will be "a new dedicated line built within the existing CP corridor," that should make it easier. It seems as though at least some of the corridor had previously had double track, so that should also help.

While it’s tempting to assume that adding a second track has little impact (given that the railway is already there), I suspect there may be a wish-list of mitigations that may have been proposed and/or never made the cut in past government or CP budgets - that may now be brought forward as asks from environmental groups, Parks staff, provincial or federal agencies, or landowners. So even if the past standard and current impact has been generally accepted, this may be seen as an opportunity to up the game. Personally I am fine with some of that…….but I’m not funding the project! I have no idea if any of these are big ticket items, either. I’m simply saying, don’t be surprised if such asks are brought forward, lengthening or complicating the decisionmaking.

- Paul

Back