News   Jun 26, 2024
 144     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

General railway discussions

May 27 - the project to rehabilitate the SFG railway to Gaspe, funded by the Government of Quebec is continuing. Active construction east of Chandler shown in these pictures. Also, a lot (seven different construction site access points) of work taking place further to the west in New Carlisle - but not close to the highway, so no photo.

A side note - the Gaspe tour train cars which had been trapped at the Gaspe station when the line was taken out of service, which were there two years ago, have now gone - do not know where (or how). Of interest, as the Gaspe tour train cars were actually recycled first version GO train cars from the late 1960's / early 1970's, similar to the vintage GO train car in Round House Park.

20240527_095254.jpg

20240527_095442.jpg

Thanks for the update on the L'Amiral tourist train. When I did a Google search on May 27, prior to the post above, the Facebook item by Anthony Bernard Prince had not yet been made, it was timestamped 10 PM on May 28.

There are a couple of inaccuracies in the item though - it indicated that the train cars and engines had been trucked out in 2017 after having been stranded in Gaspe for ten years. I believe the date to be a typo, as we had seen the train in Gaspe on our last trip there, in 2022, and it can clearly be seen at the Gaspe station in the Google Earth image dated 2024:

Also the item refers to two generator cars, as opposed to locomotive and generator car.

Given the date of Mr. Prince's update (May 28, 2024) it looks like we might have just missed seeing the L'Amiral being prepared for, or on its move to New Richmond.

We are now in Halifax, for a few days in Nova Scotia, and then should be leaving for Newfoundland.

Has anyone heard anything about the disposition of the YDHR equipment (other than the ones YDHR themselves scrapped before The End)

Thanks for the update on the L'Amiral tourist train. When I did a Google search on May 27, prior to the post above, the Facebook item by Anthony Bernard Prince had not yet been made, it was timestamped 10 PM on May 28..
According to Radio Canada on May 29, the option of acquiring the Vermont RDCs as an alternative to reinstating the locohaul L’Amiral is a possibility being considered. https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/2076557/train-passagers-via-rail-amiral-new-richmond

Has anyone heard anything about the disposition of the YDHR equipment (other than the ones YDHR themselves scrapped before The End)
The original buyer backed out after getting shipping quotes from CN.

They've reopened the bidding process, which I believe wraps up very soon

Dan

YouTube recommended me this interesting documentary. It provides a more realistic/ sobering view of the passenger rail industry within Europe. For all the flack VIA rail gets for running old coaches from the 1950's, it was interesting to see a Belgian entrepreneur resorting to using carriages form the 1950's to get his night train up and running.

YouTube recommended me this interesting documentary. It provides a more realistic/ sobering view of the passenger rail industry within Europe. For all the flack VIA rail gets for running old coaches from the 1950's, it was interesting to see a Belgian entrepreneur resorting to using carriages form the 1950's to get his night train up and running.

I been on some of those old coaches, especially the overnight train and not comfortable to ride in. Even rode coaches with compartments for 6 passengers and luggage and ended outside of my compartment due to lack of space caused by extra riders and luggage and a good thing it was only a 2.5 trip. Those coaches still exist in many places along side new equipment/trains.

I shot the station a number of times before COVID hit that saw some construction work take place. Shot it after the border open and could see signs of changes. Shot it at nighttime in March of this year with the lights on and they a nice job of what I could see. Have to take a look inside the next time I am down there this year it is now open to the public as of June 6

Ford to Reopen Michigan Central Station after Multi-Year ...

Back