News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 882     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

I not too concerned about getting the "average guy" on a bike to buy a set of lights, my concern right now is trying to get the "average guy" in his car to switch on his lights when driving at night. Maybe it just me but in the past few years I've seen more cyclists equipping their bikes with lights and less motorists willing to switch their lights on.

I not too concerned about getting the "average guy" on a bike to buy a set of lights, my concern right now is trying to get the "average guy" in his car to switch on his lights when driving at night. Maybe it just me but in the past few years I've seen more cyclists equipping their bikes with lights and less motorists willing to switch their lights on.

There is a shocking number of people driving around with only one working headlight. They might never notice until someone points it out.

Yup, I've seen a lot more people driving around at night with no lights on in the last couple years. I think it's a combination of two things. The dashboard lights up when the daytime running lights are on, so people assume the headlights (and taillights) are on. And most cars nowadays have sensors that turn the lights on automatically. So if the knob is accidentally moved, the lights are off but the driver can't tell. So now there's an alarming number of people driving on freeways at night, often in rain or snow, almost invisible to drivers behind them.

Yup, I've seen a lot more people driving around at night with no lights on in the last couple years. I think it's a combination of two things. The dashboard lights up when the daytime running lights are on, so people assume the headlights (and taillights) are on. And most cars nowadays have sensors that turn the lights on automatically. So if the knob is accidentally moved, the lights are off but the driver can't tell. So now there's an alarming number of people driving on freeways at night, often in rain or snow, almost invisible to drivers behind them.

I drive a '02 SAAB, to meet the DRL requirements the headlight switch has been disabled so that the driving lights (head & tail) come on when the car is running, I think this to be the best solution. Much of the other functions in the car have been automated (xmsn, choke, cruise) why not the lights? The auto manufacturers could save a bundle by not having a light switch and everyone would drive with their lights on at night.

I agree that all cars should be built so the lights are on when the engine is running and the transmission is out of "Park".
DRL lights have been the law now for over 20 years but many drivers have disconnected them for whatever reason and would do the same to the system mentioned above.
Next time you are on the road take a look at how many late model cars and trucks are not displaying DRL lights, way too many for it to be a malfunction.

I agree that all cars should be built so the lights are on when the engine is running and the transmission is out of "Park".
DRL lights have been the law now for over 20 years but many drivers have disconnected them for whatever reason and would do the same to the system mentioned above.
Next time you are on the road take a look at how many late model cars and trucks are not displaying DRL lights, way too many for it to be a malfunction.

There are also a fair number of US-market cars on the road that either don't have DRL or have an auto light setting that can be turned off.

Just wondering if any of you know if there's some sort of standards and specifications that bicycles have to be built to and if those standards require the builder to include a reflector? If not wouldn't this be a simple way to ensure cyclists have at least some piece of reflective equipment built into their bike even if they forget to wear something?

Just wondering if any of you know if there's some sort of standards and specifications that bicycles have to be built to and if those standards require the builder to include a reflector? If not wouldn't this be a simple way to ensure cyclists have at least some piece of reflective equipment built into their bike even if they forget to wear something?

From the HTA:
Lights and reflectors on bicycles, etc.
(17) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor-assisted bicycle and bicycle (other than a unicycle) shall carry a lighted lamp displaying a white or amber light on its front and a lighted lamp displaying a red light or a reflector approved by the Ministry on its rear, and in addition white reflective material shall be placed on its front forks, and red reflective material covering a surface of not less than 250 millimetres in length and 25 millimetres in width shall be place on its rear. 2009, c. 5, s. 28 (1).

I could find anything Federal regarding bicycle standards, but the province is quite clear about what a bike needs to be legal on the road.

From the HTA:
(17) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor-assisted bicycle and bicycle (other than a unicycle) shall carry a lighted lamp displaying a white or amber light on its front and a lighted lamp displaying a red light or a reflector approved by the Ministry on its rear, and in addition white reflective material shall be placed on its front forks, and red reflective material covering a surface of not less than 250 millimetres in length and 25 millimetres in width shall be place on its rear. 2009, c. 5, s. 28 (1).

I could find anything Federal regarding bicycle standards, but the province is quite clear about what a bike needs to be legal on the road.

Cheers thanks!

From the HTA:

I've added addition white and red reflective decals to my car's bumpers.

For a general standard of manufacture and safety you could look up these two standards: EN 14764:2005 and ISO 4210:1996.

Both of these are almost identical since the ISO is based on the EN standard. The description of the EN 14764 standard is:
"This European Standard specifies safety and performance requirements for the design, assembly, and testing of bicycles and sub-assemblies intended for use on public roads, and lays down guide lines for instructions on the use and care of such bicycles. This European Standard applies to bicycles that have a maximum saddle height of 635 mm or more and that are in-tended for use on public roads. This standard does not apply to mountain bicycles and racing bicycles, tradesman's delivery bicycles, recumbent bicycles, tandems and bicycles designed and equipped for use in sanctioned competitive events. NOTE For bicycles with a maximum saddle height of 435 mm see EN 71 and with a maximum saddle height of more than 435 mm and less than 635 mm see EN 14765."

I don't have a copy but if someone does maybe they could post it here, although I imagine it would be a rather large file.

Would you believe it? Denzil Minnan-Wrong got his way, the suburban councillors decided that e-"bikes" should be allowed to use lanes that are designated with only pedal cyclists in mind. Great.

Back