News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 931     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

So... Curious to know how many bugs you may have squished on your trip? (One time, on a trip to HFX, back in the bad old daze "BE", when I drove a gasoline powered automobile, I had to pull a pretty dead bat off the cars front "grill" - pun intended.)

I actually hit one human animal once (he broke his ankle while running into the passenger side of my peoples car.

Hmmm... Still no serious thought about what I wrote earlier? OK, maybe I'll try posting here something sorta rude about car users (ab-users) that I wrote recently on another forum elsewhere...

When Frenchman Albert Joseph Penot (1862-1930) painted this "risque" painting of bicycle racers, perhaps he was pre-nascent... He maybe saw the day when many folks rode in their gasoline powered horseless carriages, creaping along, bumper-to-bumper, on their way to work, etc...
Butt_sniffers.JPG

They may be "protected" by their wind screens, but occasionally might "crack" their side windows... or roll them down, to "enjoy" watt used to be called "fresh air"... "Sucking up" (breathing) the exhaust of the car/truck in front of them, and/or all around them... But ebikers can laugh at them, thinking of them just as "butt sniffers"...

Attachments

• Butt_sniffers.JPG
    Butt_sniffers.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 353
Hmmm... Still no serious thought about what I wrote earlier? OK, maybe I'll try posting here something sorta rude about car users (ab-users) that I wrote recently on another forum elsewhere...

You don't think you've been snide and judgemental enough already?

Yes, some of us who are interested in making the city a better place for bikes also own and/or (occasionally) use cars. You've left the bad old days of being a driver behind completely, we get it.

"snide and judgemental" Aren't we all? (see "voting", and "politicians"). And private/personal "cars"??? Not for urban travel. Here's a pic of how folks used to travel by zeppelin "ship", in the "gondola", in Germany approx. 100 yrs ago:
zeppelin-1.jpg

Attachments

• zeppelin-1.jpg
    zeppelin-1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 679
Sorry! (Wrong transportation pic (not really). Lemme try again
Clog.jpg

Attachments

• Clog.jpg
    Clog.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 278
I wish to apologize to any that may find reality with regards to urban transport and culture maybe too "snide and judgemental".

So... 24hrs later, and in a forum titled "Transportation & Infrastructure", in a thread titled "Is Toronto bike friendly?", nobuddy here wants to discuss the "problems" with Trans/Infrastructure, and whether the smallest and cheapest vehicles might be used to save a lot of folks a LOT of money???

Yet other threads here in the Trans/Inf forum appear perhaps FULL of "hand wringing" and "nashing of teeth" esp. about public (sp?) vehicles???

AFAIK us human creatures love our own private vehicles, given the CHOICE?

The world has a love/hate relationship with the German people, but the first "car" I owner and drove (I'm not proud) was a gasoline-powered "Peoples Car" designed by Ferdinand Porsche. And as a young guy living for a few years outside London (UK), my father drove around in a TINY vehicle (Made by the German company "Messerschmitt". After the 2nd "World War", for German Co's, mfg'ing war machines was VERBOTEN, so the little car has a clear plastic aircraft-style "canopy" over the driver/passenger two seats - driver in the front.)

Even today, Canadians LOVE their "BMWs" and "PORSHEs" and "AUDIs" and "MERCEDES".

And today, many/most Canadians can buy vehicles from ANY of these manufactures.

BECAUSE THOSE COMPANIES ALL OFFER their style of electric BICYCLE.

Seen elsewhere, in part:
Former Chrysler and Ford President Lee Iacocca jumped into the E-bike business in the early 2000′s with a purpose built frame. The bike did not sell well with its heavy sealed lead acid battery (SLA) and lost millions for Iacocca and his investors.

In 1980, American John B. Goodenough disclosed the first Lithium battery (Lithium-Cobalt-Oxygen), over 100 years since French physicist Gaston Planté invented the lead-acid rechargeable battery in 1859.

Today of course most Canadians use Lithium batteries in their portable devices.

Well MY "portable device" currently is a tricycle.

I CAN pedal it comfortably/easily, but it also has installed a front wheel "hub" motor, and a 48V 10Ah Lithium-ion battery, that I can recharge perhaps 1000 times.

Last fall from the eastern end of Toronto I rode my trike out to Port Credit and to Bramalea.

Sorta "leaning" on the battery to spin the hub motor/front wheel, as I am currently on the Ontario Disability Support Plan ("ODSP") due to an unfortunate accident (NOT vehicle/traffic related) over one year ago.

And last fall I passed thousands of folks trapped (?) in their "cars", travelling to/from "work", etc having to smell the stink (?) of their gasoline engine exhausts.

Some might conclude Canadians are a pretty pathetic bunch.

In the Netherlands for an example, in 2012 their "Fietsberaad" reported there were now one million electric bicycles on THEIR roads... seen here:
http://www.fietsberaad.nl/index.cfm...wsYear=2013&repository=One+million+e-cyclists

And in April last year, the European Cyclists' Federation reported "Car sales down, bike sales up: Two new bikes are sold for every car in Europe", online here:
http://www.ecf.com/news/car-sales-down-bike-sales-up-two-new-bikes-are-sold-for-every-car-in-europe/

And by one report (now out, from 2011), "The annual production of electric bicycles in China has grown from 58,000 in 1998 to 27 million in 2010. According to the Chinese National Statistics Bureau, in 2006, China has 450 million bicycles and in 2009, China has over 100 million ebikes."

But Canadians will say "Great hockey game last night!" and go back to their grumbling.

So... 24hrs later, and in a forum titled "Transportation & Infrastructure", in a thread titled "Is Toronto bike friendly?", nobuddy here wants to discuss the "problems" with Trans/Infrastructure, and whether the smallest and cheapest vehicles might be used to save a lot of folks a LOT of money???

Yet other threads here in the Trans/Inf forum appear perhaps FULL of "hand wringing" and "nashing of teeth" esp. about public (sp?) vehicles???

AFAIK us human creatures love our own private vehicles, given the CHOICE?

It's great that you've broken free of the car habit and of course the use of smaller, cheaper vehicles that pollute less or not at all should be encouraged. But I don't think your attitude towards the motor vehicles that remain on the roads, and towards their users, is going to gain you much support.

By all means, let's discuss transportation & infra as it relates to active means of getting around our city. But let's focus on what can be improved and what could be brought into being, because just bashing the people who aren't (yet) on board with (semi-)human powered transport isn't going to change anything.

Right. But the horseless carriage has killed and injured so many, in so many ways. (And that includes animals, some of them human.)

"...focus on what can be improved and what could be brought into being."

I say again... "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed."

"Let's focus on what can be improved and what could be brought into being..."

What has ALREADY been "improved"? The Queen Victoria-era food-powered human leg/foot pedal-only bicycle.

What could be "brought into being"? There are perhaps over one dozen retail stores already selling the "power-assisted bicycle" in the Greater Toronto area TODAY. Around the world, THOUSANDS.

Back