News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

One thing I've always wondered is, given the streetcar tracks throughout downtown, why don't more urban bikers use mountain bikes?

Mountain bikes are more steady through bumpy & badly maintained roads which there are a lot of in Toronto, and the tires are too wide to get trapped in streetcar tracks, which seems like a fairly common occurrence.

Speed wise, I don't think there's a real advantage for thin tires, given that you'd typically be going 15-25 km/h through the city.

As a bonus, riders can experience the amazing off-road trails all over Toronto in the ravines :)

News flash!! This just in...

The city has plowed a bike lane...

...in New York City.

BdGA9RbIEAAGWfa.jpg:large

See the article at this link.

We have some late-breaking news courtesy of the New York Cycle Club’s Twitter feed. The Prospect Park West bike lane has been plowed.

Three years ago, this bike lane was impassable for days, maybe even weeks, after monster snowfall at the end of 2010. Now it’s 2014 and the lane was cleared the same day the storm stopped. Also, Marty Markowitz is no longer Brooklyn borough president. Coincidence?

One thing I've always wondered is, given the streetcar tracks throughout downtown, why don't more urban bikers use mountain bikes?

Mountain bikes are more steady through bumpy & badly maintained roads which there are a lot of in Toronto, and the tires are too wide to get trapped in streetcar tracks, which seems like a fairly common occurrence.

Speed wise, I don't think there's a real advantage for thin tires, given that you'd typically be going 15-25 km/h through the city.

As a bonus, riders can experience the amazing off-road trails all over Toronto in the ravines :)
As long as you cross the streetcar tracks at a 45 degree angle, they're not really a problem. Also, I'd rather use my road bike because I like to be able to keep up with cars on Yonge St, going 35-40km/h.

I have a mountain bike but it's really heavy and sluggish compared to my hybrid bike.

I have a mountain bike but it's really heavy and sluggish compared to my hybrid bike.

I have a cheaper, heavier bike for the winter (basically first salting in Nov/Dec to mid-April) with wider tires, but I didn't ride it much at all last week and not today - I draw the line at ice, fresh, uncleared snow and freezing rain. I don't for the cold.

My April-November bike is lighter and faster, but it also has front suspension which is great for the potholed streets and rough bike lanes like those on Gerrard. I like hard trails (like rail trails) as well as park and long-distance trails, so it's perfect for my needs. I just don't want it to get salty and dirty.

I ride a hybrid but with chunkier MTB-style tires - works well for streetcar tracks, crummy urban streets and off-road trails.

I ride a hybrid in the city (not in this weather though -- I hate ice) and keep my road bike for the open roads.

Cyclists, prepare to dodge some scooters: the city wants to start allowing e-bikes in bike lanes

Read More: http://www.torontolife.com/informer/random-stuff-informer/2014/01/03/toronto-e-bikes-bike-lanes/

In a move that seems guaranteed to invite backlash from cyclists, a newly released city staff report recommends that the city make it legal for owners of so-called e-bikes—those electric scooters with tiny, vestigial pedals—to ride in most bike lanes.

- They’re street legal in Ontario, but city by-laws currently ban them from paths and bike lanes. Even so, e-bikes are popular, and the city has been taking a second look at those by-laws over the course of the past year. These latest recommendations, which will go before the public works and infrastructure committee on January 9, would make it so that e-bikes can ride with bicycles in painted bike lanes, on the theory that it should be safe and easy enough for people riding the scooters to pass slower bike riders. E-bikes would still be banned from multi-use trails and curb-separated “cycle tracks,” like the ones on Sherbourne Street.

e-bike.jpg

The photo shows the pedals removed - so it's illegal! Unfortunately and it is a generalization, but I find the scooter-style e-bikes to be largely operated by people who got their licences revoked for DUIs or who are getting monthly government cheques. They are quite commonly found at your local beer store.

(Am I a bit snobbish? Yeah, I guess.)

I've never seen anyone actually use the pedals on those things. Also, they are pretty slow and hard to pass when they illegally use the bike lane anyway.

I've seen someone use the pedals once -- battery probably ran out. They already use sidewalks, bike lanes and recreation trails illegally. They're annoying.

I've seen someone use the pedals once -- battery probably ran out. They already use sidewalks, bike lanes and recreation trails illegally. They're annoying.

Yes - their danger is enhanced by fact they are fairly silent so can appear really quickly behind one. If you want these scooters banned from ALL cycle paths, tracks and trails write to Public Works Committee - they are discussing them on Thursday. See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/decisio...oPrepare&decisionBodyId=370#Meeting-2014.PW28 The Report is generally quite good but they are suggesting scooters could be on bike LANES.

Yes - their danger is enhanced by fact they are fairly silent so can appear really quickly behind one. If you want these scooters banned from ALL cycle paths, tracks and trails write to Public Works Committee - they are discussing them on Thursday. See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/decisio...oPrepare&decisionBodyId=370#Meeting-2014.PW28 The Report is generally quite good but they are suggesting scooters could be on bike LANES.
I wish they would enforce the rules, because they sure don't now. I've had scooter drivers tell me they can go wherever they want because they are environmentally friendly.

I wish they would enforce the rules, because they sure don't now. I've had scooter drivers tell me they can go wherever they want because they are environmentally friendly.
I think the problem now is that the rules are unclear. This report aims to clarify things but if you, like me, do not want scooters on ANY bike lanes, paths or trails and want the new by-law enforced I strongly suggest you write to the Committee. email address is on link above.

Cyclists, prepare to dodge some scooters: the city wants to start allowing e-bikes in bike lanes

Read More: http://www.torontolife.com/informer/random-stuff-informer/2014/01/03/toronto-e-bikes-bike-lanes/

In a move that seems guaranteed to invite backlash from cyclists, a newly released city staff report recommends that the city make it legal for owners of so-called e-bikes—those electric scooters with tiny, vestigial pedals—to ride in most bike lanes.

- They’re street legal in Ontario, but city by-laws currently ban them from paths and bike lanes. Even so, e-bikes are popular, and the city has been taking a second look at those by-laws over the course of the past year. These latest recommendations, which will go before the public works and infrastructure committee on January 9, would make it so that e-bikes can ride with bicycles in painted bike lanes, on the theory that it should be safe and easy enough for people riding the scooters to pass slower bike riders. E-bikes would still be banned from multi-use trails and curb-separated “cycle tracks,” like the ones on Sherbourne Street.

I think this is a terrible idea, even if they distinguish between the scooter-style e-bikes and the kind that are essentially a conventional bicycle with a battery pack by barring the former from bike lanes.

The people who ride e-scooters now already either don't care about the pedal-power rule for bike lanes and trails or else they fervently believe they are allowed there. They most certainly can keep up with urban traffic in the 'car lane' - I've seen them do it, and it's the whole point of having them able to do 32 km/h max. You can't comfortably pass them (or be passed by them) within a bike lane and the riders don't seem to have a clue about basic road etiquette, like signalling or keeping distance.

Back