News   Jul 16, 2024
 124     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 882     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

I've always preferred "that" over "which", though I don't know which is grammar.
Remove the commas, and it reads the way it used to:
"other than an intersection which is controlled by a traffic control signal system." Meaning if there are lights, it is permissible. One would still be required by other clauses to look, stop, signal if crossing left, then proceed across when the way is clear.

Thus:
[No person shall ride or operate a bicycle across a roadway within a crosswalk at an intersection or at a location other than an intersection which is controlled by a traffic control signal system.]

If that came before a Justice or Magistrate, he'd have to rule in your favour, and probably lambaste the Ministry while doing it for inserting commas that completely change the intention of the phrase.

Last edited:
A look at the city of Nijmegen: The City That Tamed Cars So People Can Walk & Bike Where They Please
from this link.

Where the city centre is car-free. Bicycle helmets are a rarity.

The car-free center of Nijmegen is full of street life. Kids play and ride bikes without giving it a second thought. People just don't have to worry about cars. Nijmegen has accomplished this by devising a system where essential motor traffic, like buses and deliveries, has access to central city streets, but other vehicles do not.

I had the pleasure of cycling home through Rosedale again this evening.

I think my mind is pretty set on the idea. Continue the Sherbourne bike lanes past Bloor to Elm, and have them continue up Glen Road all the way to Summerhill.

From there it is a little ambiguous how to get north. I suppose continue along Summerhill for the bridge, or perhaps a new piece of infrastructure.

I had the pleasure of cycling home through Rosedale again this evening.

I think my mind is pretty set on the idea. Continue the Sherbourne bike lanes past Bloor to Elm, and have them continue up Glen Road all the way to Summerhill.

From there it is a little ambiguous how to get north. I suppose continue along Summerhill for the bridge, or perhaps a new piece of infrastructure.

I go through Rosedale often, coming from the north end of the city. When going north, I cross the bridge and continue to the cemetery, then take the Beltline trail to Lascelles Ave. From there I can easily avoid Yonge by using residential streets.

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 1.17.19 AM.png

Or alternatively, sometimes I will use this route instead of the Beltline trial. Especially if I'm riding late when that shortcut through the cemetery is closed.

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 1.30.41 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 1.17.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 1.17.19 AM.png
    564 KB · Views: 483
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 1.30.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 1.30.41 AM.png
    286.6 KB · Views: 359
A look at the city of Nijmegen: The City That Tamed Cars So People Can Walk & Bike Where They Please
from this link.

Where the city centre is car-free. Bicycle helmets are a rarity.

The car-free center of Nijmegen is full of street life. Kids play and ride bikes without giving it a second thought. People just don't have to worry about cars. Nijmegen has accomplished this by devising a system where essential motor traffic, like buses and deliveries, has access to central city streets, but other vehicles do not.
You had me watching Dutch videos for almost an hour after that. I'm in deep envy, not only of the infrastructure there, but the mindset of giving bikes road priority when and where they don't have dedicated lanes. I'm also impressed with how the Dutch flow on their bikes, like babies taught to swim, the Dutch on bikes are fluid in motion.

Many thanks for that Walter.

Especially if I'm riding late when that shortcut through the cemetery is closed.
I wondered if they closed at night as the signs do state that. Years ago they didn't. I noticed that the cycle route markings were missing last time through there a few weeks back. It's incredibly peaceful and serene.

What I'm taking exception to, in the frame of a city whose attitudes towards cycling are badly misaligned, is the automatic assumption that the cyclist must have done something wrong.
It wasn't an "automatic assumption". When I first read about it, as I'm sure others did, the immediate thought was to suspect the driver, who indeed was charged. The Facebook allegation of the driver "leaving the scene" has not appeared in the press. It remains curious.

I mean, my personal opinion is that that's a heartless and harmful view of how cities work, so we're obviously going to disagree on that. There's a difference between a guy flying along a sidewalk at 40 km/h on his $10,000 road bike and a 70-year-old or a 7-year-old bypassing criminally inadequate infrastructure.

My view is that uncompromising slavishness to unsafe infrastructure isn't the way to promote better city-building.
The fact remains, I and others don't cycle on the sidewalk not only because it's against the law in most urban jurisdictions, but because it is *highly dangerous* as many cycling articles will tell you, for many reasons, not least your being on the right hand side in many cases and out of a driver's rear vision and expectation. It defies common sense let alone the law. If you need to use the sidewalk in many if not most cases, then walk the bike. It's safer to use the road in most cases than the sidewalk.
Is it safer to bike on the sidewalk? | HowStuffWorks
adventure.howstuffworks.com › Adventure › Outdoor Activities › Urban Sports
Find out whether it's safer to bike on the sidewalk at HowStuffWorks. ... In the United States, cycling is comparatively dangerous, resulting in fewer trips by bike ...
Bicycling on sidewalks: Not safe, not recommended | Missouri Bicycle ...
mobikefed.org/2016/08/bicycling-sidewalks-not-safe-not-recommended
Aug 22, 2016 - However, because bicycling on the sidewalk has been shown in numerous studies to more dangerous to the bicyclist than bicycling on the road ...
Sidewalk cycling poses more danger than roads - Thunder Bay - CBC ...
www.cbc.ca/news/...bay/sidewalk-cycling-poses-more-danger-than-roads-1.1147043
Apr 18, 2012 - The Thunder Bay District Health Unit says cyclists are more likely to be hit by a car if they're riding on the sidewalk than if they are on the street.
Why not make biking on sidewalks legal in the suburbs? - NOW ...
https://nowtoronto.com/news/make-biking-on-sidewalks-legal-in-the-suburbs/
May 20, 2015 - Cycling on sidewalks can be less safe than riding on the road. Outside of the downtown, where getting doored is the biggest danger, sidewalk ...
Bicycle Safety: How to Not Get Hit by Cars
bicyclesafe.com/
This is a far cry from normal bicycle safety guides, which usually tell you little more .... One study showed that sidewalk-riding was twice as dangerous as road ...
Dangers of Sidewalk Riding - Bicycle Alliance of Minnesota
www.bikemn.org/education/minnesota-bicycling.../dangers-of-sidewalk-riding
Sidewalk riding is very dangerous — you are invisible when on sidewalks!
How do we deal with people riding bikes on the sidewalk? : TreeHugger
https://www.treehugger.com › Design › Urban Design
May 30, 2016 - As a pedestrian, I really hate it when I see a cyclist on the sidewalk downtown, there just isn't enough room and it's dangerous. Of course one of ...
Bicyclists on Sidewalks: Why They're Not Going Away, and What We ...
https://www.planetizen.com/.../bicyclists-sidewalks-why-theyre-not-going-away-and-...
Mar 10, 2016 - 19 posts - ‎10 authors
Simply banning bikes from riding on sidewalks does more harm than good. A better ... Is biking on sidewalks more dangerous, or less?
[PDF]'Bicycling on Sidewalks' PDF - Cornell Bike - Cornell University
www.bike.cornell.edu/pdfs/Sidewalk_biking_FAQ.pdf
Is it safer or more dangerous to bike on sidewalks? Bicycling on the sidewalk eliminates the relatively small danger to cyclists of crashes with overtaking ...
Opinion: Sidewalk cyclists deserve zero tolerance - Vancouver Courier
www.vancourier.com/.../opinion-sidewalk-cyclists-deserve-zero-tolerance-1.1117476
Jun 5, 2014 - Sidewalk cyclists are a menace — to say nothing of the fact they are ... I've found the most dangerous routes for pedestrians to travel are along ...
[...etc. etc....]
-Google hits, first page, for "cycling on sidewalks"

From the NOW magazine link from the above list:
Why not make biking on sidewalks legal in the suburbs?
It's a tempting thought. Sidewalks along busier roads in Scarborough have few pedestrians. And it would help us create an instant, low-cost network of bike infrastructure.

by Erhard Kraus

May 20, 2015

6:47 PM

Cycling along Finch East recently, I noticed another rider biking in the same direction. He was going at the same steady, purposeful speed while cycling on the sidewalk. As far as he could see, the path ahead was clear.

But he was shunning the obvious choice. Finch on that stretch approaching Neilson has painted bike lanes that he could have cycled on without risking being ticketed. I was curious why he'd ride on the sidewalk and talked to him to find out.

He explained that he didn't feel safe on the road, afraid a car or one of the many trucks might hit him. He was convinced the sidewalk was safer. We rode a few hundred metres side by side, and as we talked he found none of my arguments that the road is the safer choice convincing, and eventually we parted ways.

I keep thinking about this encounter. In this part of Scarborough many folks cycle to work or school or to run errands. Quite often they're first-generation immigrants doing as they did back home, getting where they need to go while saving a bit of money by not driving. They fear the traffic and thus cycle on the sidewalk.

Sidewalks along busier roads like Kennedy and Midland have a steady trickle of cyclists. They're slow riders, and the streets have few pedestrians to contend with, so conflicts between cyclists and walkers are rare.

The thought occurs to me: why not make riding on the sidewalk legal? It would legitimize what people are doing anyway. And the city could create an instant network of bike infrastructure at low cost. It's a tempting thought, but does it hold up to scrutiny?

Cycling on sidewalks can be less safe than riding on the road. Outside of the downtown, where getting doored is the biggest danger, sidewalk riding is the top cause of collisions with cars.

To understand why riding on sidewalks in the suburbs isn't as safe as it feels, you have to dig a bit deeper.

True, you won't get sideswiped or pushed into the curb by car traffic. So far so good – until you meet cross-traffic.

This happens not just at intersections, but at people's private driveways, shopping malls and industrial spaces. There, bike riders meet turning vehicles, and the risk of collision is high because drivers are more likely to miss cyclists scooting along the sidewalk than those on the road.

Cyclists are fast – faster than pedestrians – and thus surprise drivers by "appearing out of nowhere." Drivers turning at intersections are often too busy sorting out whether it's safe to turn to catch cyclists whizzing into the road from the sidewalk.

In fact, cycling on the sidewalk is a contributing factor in 30 per cent of car-bike collisions in Toronto, when cyclists cross a roadway or motorists exit a laneway or driveway.

Toronto's own collision statistics show that the danger is higher at intersections, where nearly twice as many collisions occur (52.8 per cent) than in the stretches between intersections (31.9 per cent). On the other hand, though, the report notes that "collisions in which cyclists were riding on the roadway tended to result in slightly more severe injuries than those in which the cyclists were riding on the sidewalk or within the crosswalk."

I prefer to ride on the road. And whenever I approach an intersection, I use extreme caution and try to determine whether a turning driver has actually noticed my bicycle.

But we also need to acknowledge that cycling will continue to grow as a low-cost way to ease our ever-growing congestion. Once we've accepted that, we will find designs for our cycling infrastructure that eliminate the need for a debate of whether cycling on the sidewalk is a good idea or not.

Erhard Kraus is an avid cyclist and founder of the North Scarborough Green Loop cycling project.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/make-biking-on-sidewalks-legal-in-the-suburbs/

South-east corner of Dundas and Lansdowne, first I've ever seen, this is incredibly interesting for what it portends as much as what this example is:

A "left-hook turn green bike box", roughly 4 x 8 feet (size of a sheet of plywood), for making a turn north from the eastbound curb lane of Dundas to the curb lane (and I mean the the bike lane width next to the curb, there is no delineated bike lane on either street at that point, just sharrows) northbound on Lansdowne. This satisfies two dangerous crossing, one severely dangerous. The first one is obvious, to go northbound on Lansdowne without getting fouled in the streetcar tracks. The second is to avoid crossing from Dundas eastbound to College eastbound, across the tracks and at least three lanes of traffic, two opposing. I used to do it in my younger years, there's no freakin' way I do it now, unless the streets are totally deserted, well lit and I can pick my way across the tracks at right angles (or as close to) to the tracks. I caught myself doing it the old way a week or so back, had to follow through once started, it can be done....until traffic brushes past so close you can't cant the wheels at right angles to the tracks. It's incredibly dangerous at the best of times. And drivers through there now all think their Indy drivers. Without the skill...

So continue pedaling east to Lansdowne, go across the intersection, and the 'left hook turn box' is right there!

But here's the legal problem. Due to wide arcs now built for intersections, (to favour cars, or course, not pedestrians or cyclists) at the corners, the box is out in the street, impeding both the northbound Lansdowne and eastbound Dundas curb lanes, the Lansdowne one blocking drivers wishing to make a right turn.

That violates the HTA! How is the City going to get that to sit with Queen's Park? Here's a thought, demand a *yet again* revision to the HTA to enshrine it in Law, not just Bylaw.

Credit to the City on this btw! Someone's taken an initiative that someone above them probably isn't in agreement with. The positioning is perfect to avoid the "cycling through a crosswalk" verbotten clause of the HTA, but there's some legal work now to be done to make this compliant. As much as it *infers* safety, use very carefully though! Keep all your wits about you, cars coming northbound on Lansdowne to turn east on Dundas are often well above the speed limit, and some of them are class arsholes, they might run into you on purpose. (The fix for that is to build out the intersection corner so that right turns have to take place *around* the box, not through it)

I'll try and post a pic tomorrow.

Last edited:
No comment about the following video, from Toronto Metro, at this link:
I had to settle down after to the horror of watching this, but immediately realized I had to confirm a few facts before accepting emotional conclusions.

Full screen available here, which allows frame by frame analysis of what transpired:

He absolutely knew, or had to know, he was crossing on a red. The black car turning left across his trajectory is an immediate clue he ignored, the pedestrians crossing across his path should have been another, and the two red lights facing him should have prefaced all of that.

He then crosses, knowing he's in incredible danger, and doesn't even look from his straight ahead gaze. The name 'Darwin' wafts across my mind...

Btw: Searching for that at Youtube I was confronted with a litany of idiotic drivers hitting cyclists, and idiotic cyclists matching them.

I'm on edge just watching them all...

Googling to try and find out more on the new 'left hook turn (indicated with an arrow doing that) green bike box' at the southeast corner of Lansdowne and Dundas. Nothing showing, but this is well worth posting for general information, I'd missed this at Blog TO a few weeks back:
What exactly are the rules of the bike lane in Toronto?

The rules of the Toronto bike lane are, let's face it, unclear. Most cyclists don't know which vehicles are legally allowed to be stopped or parked in the bike lane. Contrary to popular belief, even dedicated bike lanes aren't off-limits to all motorized vehicles.

The lack of clearly posted rules is coupled with a dearth of visible enforcement, but the biggest scofflaws — delivery van drivers and moving companies, judging from angry tweets — seem able to dodge enforcement officers with relative ease.

Coming straight from the City of Toronto bylaw, here are the rules of the Toronto bike lane. Note that the rules differ slightly for painted and separated bike lanes, like on Sherbourne and Wellesley.

Who can block painted bike lanes?
Only bicycles and e-bikes are permitted to use on-street, painted cycle lanes in Toronto, except for in a few unusual circumstances.

Ambulances, police or fire service vehicles, or any other vehicles actively engaged in responding to an emergency, are exempt from parking, driving, and operating rules, so are active city, TTC, and public utility vehicles. Everyone else has to stay out.

At the approach to intersections, turning vehicles are permitted to move over and occupy the bike lane.

Who can stop in painted bike lanes?
Vehicles loading or unloading a person with a disability, school buses picking up or dropping off kids, and, yes, taxis collecting or depositing passengers are all allowed to stop in the bike lane. No vehicles are permitted to drive for more than 45 metres in these areas, however.

Who can block separated bike tracks?
Only pedal-powered bicycles are permitted to use separated bike lanes. Wheel-Trans vehicles operated or licensed by the TTC are allowed to use the track area for loading and unloading passengers. Emergency response vehicles, City of Toronto vehicles, or vehicles parked as part of public utility work are similarly exempt from the rules.

Who can stop in separated bike tracks?
No vehicle (except the ones listed above) is allowed to stop in a separated bike lane. Not taxis, not delivery vehicles, not moving vans. In fact, the only time a vehicle is allowed to pass through a separated lane is when the driver is accessing a driveway, parking lot, laneway, or side street.

Transit stops
On Sherbourne and Roncesvalles, the bike lane cuts directly in front of several TTC stops. When a bus or streetcar is waiting with its doors open, cyclists must wait at least two metres back from the rear doors and allow passengers to enter or exit.

Fines
Any person operating an unauthorized vehicle in the bike lane, contrary to the rules set out in the city bylaw, is subject to a fine of $150. Illegally parking or stopping in a bike lane or separated lane also attracts a fine of $150.
http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/06/what_exactly_are_the_rules_of_the_bike_lane_in_toronto/

No comment about the following video, from Toronto Metro, at this link:
That vid has caused quite a stir in Ottawa. Featured coverage on the CTV Ottawa website:
http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.3506563

Some pretty objective analysis, but note some footage showing cyclists behaving very well in separated lanes, and then some (and CTV seems unaware of this) clearly breaking the law by cycling through marked pedestrian crossways. Note the clear difference between those on the cycle-lanes, and those going through the pedestrian crossings. The former are serious sensible cyclists, the latter are just morons on bikes. Fortunately, there's excellent interviews with cycling advocates, a motorcycle cop, and some younger but seemingly sensible cyclists.

The driver who hit the moron is really shaken up. Evidently he braked hard before impact, or that cyclist wouldn't still be with us. The cop and locals talking about the number of red-light runners, both bikes and cars, is absolutely chilling.

The moron hit was charged as well he should be.

Text story here:
http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/cyclist-ch...-shocking-collision-caught-on-video-1.3506852

Last edited:
Looks like Ontario is finally taking a page out of Quebec's book and planning a provincial cycling network.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/province-wide-cycling-network.shtml

I've always thought there should be a provincial network. Ontario has a hodgepodge of cycling routes that's operated by various municipalities and local organizations but it's not what I'd call a network. But there's a strong base to start from, including the Trans Canada Trail, Waterfront Trail and a lot of rail trails. Several regions and counties are now paving the shoulders of their roads and a few bits of provincial highways have them too. Hopefully this process actually leads to something.

Back