News   Jul 16, 2024
 28     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 244     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Scarborough Waterfront Project Update
Very interesting, I just scanned through most of it, some of the "informal trails" being "decommissioned" I have mixed feelings about. Used to combine them with the trail from Rouge Hill Station to get past the water works and chemical factory before getting down to the lake-edge. But my prime concern at this time is this:
upload_2017-7-5_22-16-43.png

From Rouge Hill GO Station hiking west along the trail with a Big Black Lab to Gates Gully we could use a narrow strip of beach almost the entire distance. In mid-Summer heat, it's essential to keep the Lab wet, and he could go into the lake on a whim. With the elevated lake level, that's probably not possible this Summer. To extend the path west from the Gully to Bluffers Park would be wonderful when the lake does go down. Ostensibly the cliff faces will be stable enough to allow that. It would make a much more viable cycle route into Toronto from the east down White's Road, through Petticoat Creek Park and west into Toronto. One of the few civilized ways to get into Toronto after distance cycling.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-5_22-16-43.png
    upload_2017-7-5_22-16-43.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 345
Send the suburban Councillors out of the room before reading this article at this link:

Caving to Resentment Politics, Oregon Enacts a Bike Tax
The preposterous bike tax accomplishes no discernible transportation goal except dampening demand for new bicycles.

Apparently, Oregon forgot that the roads existed before the automobile came on the scene and expropriated roads for their exclusive use.

Last edited:
Send the suburban Councillors out of the room before reading this article at this link:

Caving to Resentment Politics, Oregon Enacts a Bike Tax
The preposterous bike tax accomplishes no discernible transportation goal except dampening demand for new bicycles.

Apparently, Oregon forgot that the roads existed before the automobile came on the scene and expropriated roads for their exclusive use.

I would see our retrograde suburban councillors that notion and raise the one where advocacy groups in a few cities are trying to figure out ways to make local councillors criminally liable for cyclist deaths/serious injuries that occur at places where bike safety infrastructure was ripped out.

I would see our retrograde suburban councillors that notion and raise the one where advocacy groups in a few cities are trying to figure out ways to make local councillors criminally liable for cyclist deaths/serious injuries that occur at places where bike safety infrastructure was ripped out.
It may be difficult to find them personally liable, but it is entirely possible and is done to find the *institution* criminally liable, and the individuals party to that criminal action.

Just read this https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ing-advocate-70-struck-and-killed-by-van.html

Police say on June 30 Gary Sim, 70, was riding his bike westbound on the north sidewalk at Alliance Ave. approaching Jane St. just after 1 p.m. when he was hit by a man, 62, driving a 2012 Ford van.

Why would he be riding on the sidewalk? Can I drive my motorcycle on the sidewalk?

No, you cannot, that's irrelevant, and also how about not automatically assuming a fellow citizen who tragically died was at fault in service of some random point you're trying to make?

Just read this https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ing-advocate-70-struck-and-killed-by-van.html

Police say on June 30 Gary Sim, 70, was riding his bike westbound on the north sidewalk at Alliance Ave. approaching Jane St. just after 1 p.m. when he was hit by a man, 62, driving a 2012 Ford van.

Why would he be riding on the sidewalk? Can I drive my motorcycle on the sidewalk?
I thought same, but they were both at fault, from what details we know. Since the deceased can't be charged, any civil legal action for damages would take shared blame into consideration. It's tragic, no matter if he was partly to blame. Riding on a sidewalk is not only illegal for full sized bikes, it's also very dangerous in many cases.

To change the subject, Guelph's two major news sources are carrying this story, and note the pavement markings, "Wait Here" standard in US jurisdictions, but something Toronto isn't doing. Personally, I think 'bike boxes' are dangerous. Wonderful in theory, in practice, only as good as drivers doing as they should:
Green bike box markings, more visible bike lanes coming to Gordon Street in Guelph
News Jul 11, 2017 02:02 Guelph Mercury

BikeBox_RedLight___Super_Portrait.jpg

The City of Guelph will paint a bike box and brighter bike lanes on Gordon Street between Waterloo Avenue and Wellington Street overnight Tuesday as it continues to test and evaluate ways to reduce the number of collisions between drivers, pedestrians and cyclists at the busy intersection.

There were 300 collisions on Gordon Street between Waterloo Avenue and Wellington Street from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2016. Two-hundred and seven of those, or 69 per cent, led to an injury, according to a city news release.

Thirty five of those collisions involved people cycling, for an average of six per year; 22 involved cyclists who were following the rules of the road; and three involved cyclists who failed to yield the right-of-way.

Nine collisions involved people walking — an average of 1.5 per year — and 198, or 66 per cent, happened during turns into and out of businesses along the stretch.

“There are a number of factors that make this stretch of road prone to more conflicts than other areas,” said Jennifer Juste, the city’s transportation demand management program manager, in a news release.

“These include a higher number of business driveways and streets over a short distance, bicycles travelling down the hill at speeds similar to cars, more signs and a lot of people turning in and out of driveways. Together, these factors make this stretch of road very busy visually, and drivers may not see people walking or biking as they try to wave turning vehicles through.” [...]
https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-...bike-lanes-coming-to-gordon-street-in-guelph/

GuelphToday also posts an artist rendition, don't know if this is from the City of from files:
Bike box coming to busy downtown intersection
Bike lane will also be painted green to increase bicycle safety
a day ago by: GuelphToday Staff
bikebox.jpg;w=630

[...]
https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/bike-box-coming-to-busy-downtown-intersection-666437

Painting the bike lane green: Absolutely, what possible harm could come from that? But putting yourself in front of two lanes of cars that may or may not stop? I don't get it, and question what stats they base these on. Left turns in intersections are a high cause of serious accidents for cyclists. A bike box won't help.

And just to underline how risky exercises like this are, take a close look at the top pic. Kid is *on the wrong side of the lane!*

If an org does this in the name of safety, they damn well best get it right. The fact is that most intersections are just wrong for cyclists and pedestrians to begin with. Sticking them in the way of cars is just exacerbating the folly and risk. No matter what side of the lane that kid is situated, it puts him in incredible danger once he starts his turn.

Last edited:

I have read on one of the online forums that his family has said he wasn't on the sidewalk. I don't know how it was determined that he was / wasn't.

I hate that some news outlets call him "elderly".

Sometimes the streets aren't safe at all, so cyclists take to the sidewalks. Also, children can legally ride on the sidewalks, and they should be able to do safely.

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/bike-box-coming-to-busy-downtown-intersection-666437

Painting the bike lane green: Absolutely, what possible harm could come from that? But putting yourself in front of two lanes of cars that may or may not stop? I don't get it, and question what stats they base these on. Left turns in intersections are a high cause of serious accidents for cyclists. A bike box won't help.

And just to underline how risky exercises like this are, take a close look at the top pic. Kid is *on the wrong side of the lane!*

If an org does this in the name of safety, they damn well best get it right. The fact is that most intersections are just wrong for cyclists and pedestrians to begin with. Sticking them in the way of cars is just exacerbating the folly and risk. No matter what side of the lane that kid is situated, it puts him in incredible danger once he starts his turn.

They move traffic back in general, which allows for more visibility of stopped cyclists...it also allows for doing a left hook turn (ie. going across the intersection doing a turn in the bike box so you can go straight across when the light changes)- which is often not possible if cars are crowding the intersection (you have to do it in the cross-walk which is often busy, or you run the risk of turning into traffic...or falling over.

They move traffic back in general, which allows for more visibility of stopped cyclists...it also allows for doing a left hook turn
You don't need a bike box for a hook turn. A bicycle lane helps, a box doesn't. As for "visibility"...how does that reduce the danger when turning left? There may be a small increase in visibility, giving the false sense of safety in a dangerous situation. There's only one reason to be *in front* of motorized vehicles at an intersection, and that's for a left turn. Besides common-sense, you are required by the OHT to stay as far to the right as safely possible. The '1 metre' rule applies to both curb and passing drivers, albeit you are accorded, in an ambiguous way "as much of the lane as necessary for safety".

Whenever I come to a bike box (and it's never to turn left, if the intersection is so busy and to need a box, I ride across the intersection, wait for the light to change, and then head left on my new direction) I always wait *behind* the green box. Sixth sense just tells me it's far safer, and I'm an aggressive cyclist in phenomenal shape for my age, lived and cycled in a number of nations, spent time in others. Without that sixth-sense, in cities like Toronto, especially with terrible cycling infrastructure, you're doomed.

[...]
Veteran cyclists warn that unless riders stay alert, a bike lane can lure them into danger.

“Avoid the Suicide Slot,” warns an essay by Kent Peterson, commute director for the Bicycle Alliance of Washington. He generally uses bike lanes but will often move left into the car lane to make himself more visible as he approaches intersections.

David Smith, of Seattle, a part-time cycling instructor with the Bicycle Driver Training Institute, argues that bike lanes create a false sense of security, and he avoids them. “It is an enormous task to help bicyclists overcome that eye candy in the streets.” He advocates mixing with traffic, or “bicycle driving.”

Right hooks

In Portland, which has done some of the nation’s best research on bike safety, recent data show that 10 percent of car-bike crashes are right hooks. They caused two of Portland’s six bike fatalities last year.

In Gig Harbor, cyclist Gloria Lavick, 58, died July 5 after she went under a right-turning delivery truck.

At Seattle’s University Bridge, a picture of Bryce Lewis and a white memorial “ghost bike” are mounted on a utility pole above the crash site, a daily reminder next to the bike lane.

Peterson describes the Eastlake-Fuhrman intersection as hazardous, where he would ride in the general traffic lane.

“I think this would actually be safer if there weren’t a bike lane here,” he said, “because what it does is, it encourages bicycle riders to crowd to the right, and that takes you out of the line of sight.”
[...]
Green lanes

In response to right-hook crashes, cities are trying to move bicyclists away from the curb at busy crossings.

The federal government’s street-design manual encourages cities to replace a solid bike-lane stripe with a dotted line where bikes and cars are likely to cross paths. A dotted line warns cyclists that cars will be turning right, and it invites cyclists to move left into general traffic, said Rich Meredith, city traffic engineer in Shoreline.

Seattle is gingerly trying out new designs to see if they reduce conflicts between bicyclists and motorists turning at intersections.

Last year, parts of Stone Way North were repainted with new bike lanes that include dotted lines at several crossings.

At each end of the Fremont Bridge, road signs tell car drivers to yield to bikes — southbound motorists turning right toward Seattle Pacific University will wait for the bicyclists pedaling straight, toward the Dexter Avenue North bike route. On a recent morning, many drivers were looking over their shoulders toward the bike lane, before making the turn.

“It’s a big help,” said rider Sean Sheldrake, who has commuted for 12 years. “A couple of $50 signs go a long way.”

Similar issues exist at some trails, and Seattle has installed warning signs for drivers making turns across the Chief Sealth Trail on Beacon Hill.

This spring, Seattle will paint green bicycle lanes at four busy intersections, said Peter Lagerwey, a bicycling expert with the city’s transportation department. The sites are southbound Dexter at Denny Way, both ends of the Fremont Bridge, and North 145th Street where Shoreline’s new Interurban Trail meets the city limits.

Portland has used blue-colored bike lanes since the 1990s and is adding 13 similar lanes this year, to be painted green. City officials videotaped traffic and found that motorists yielded far more often to bikes in marked blue lanes — and that cyclists glanced at cars less often, a problem. Still, drivers and cyclists said the streets seemed safer.

If upcoming experiments go well, Seattle’s University Bridge is a top candidate for the next round of improvements, Lagerwey said.

New York City; Victoria, B.C.; Vancouver, B.C.; Portland; and several European cities have gone further by painting “bike boxes.”

These are marked zones at stoplights, where bicycles can go to the head of a line of traffic. That gives bicyclists a head start to beat turning automobiles, once the light turns green. New York has 60 bike boxes, but it’s too soon to measure whether safety has improved.

In Davis, Calif., the city has gone further, giving cyclists their own traffic signals, with bike icons replacing solid red, yellow and green lights, at complex intersections.

Kirkland is studying whether to try bike boxes in certain areas, said Councilman Tom Hodgson, a bicycle commuter. Hodgson said a dump truck turned and hit his bike about five years ago.

Bike advocates argue that safety will improve as the sight of more riders translates into better awareness by drivers.

“We are not at a critical mass of bicyclists on the road, that drivers are aware bicyclists are omnipresent,” said Chuck Ayers, executive director of the Cascade Bicycle Club.

Ayers said the right-hook risk “is not an engineering issue. It is a taking-responsibility issue, for both drivers and cyclists.”

Riding paranoid

There are other ways to get hit in a bike lane.

In so-called “left hook” crashes, left-turning drivers become so focused on avoiding oncoming cars that they miss a cyclist in the oncoming bike lane.

“They look for threats. That’s how they’re wired,” Peterson said.

Like old cats, urban cyclists tend to develop survival instincts, such as assuming they are invisible to all drivers.

Hodgson has added a hand signal to his repertoire — he now points straight ahead to show motorists he’s proceeding straight.

“I just ride paranoid,” said Sheldrake, who said he’s been accident-free for 12 years in Fremont.

He will not pass a car on the right unless he makes eye contact first. That can mean shining his head-mounted, high-intensity light through the car window.

“It gets their attention, long enough to keep you from rolling over their hood,” he said.
[...]
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/danger-in-the-bike-lane/

Where I do see some value is having traffic *in the curb lane* stop back from the corner at red lights. That is so they don't take out a cyclist at the corner waiting to proceed straight through. Stop encouraging cyclists, many of them without a clue of road danger (I see it constantly, many of them are on borrowed time), to put themselves in grave danger by acting the same as one ton + vehicles.

Continues next pane:

Here's the most frank discussion that aligns with my sense:
Left turns are one of the most dangerous manoeuvres to execute on a bicycle in North America. Of course, this doesn’t have to be the case. Many cities have engineered infrastructure to make left turns safe and comfortable for bicyclists.

But here in Toronto – and most other cities in North America – turning left legally is unsafe.

Here’s why: In order to make a legal left turn on a two-way street in Toronto, you must first merge from your normal riding position on the right side of the road to the left-most lane. This in itself can be dangerous and is unnecessary.

Next, you need to wait for oncoming traffic to clear before you can proceed with your turn. If you are fortunate enough to have a separate turning lane, then you will be immune from impeding traffic behind you.

However, in many cases in downtown Toronto, you will not have the luxury of a turning lane – so you will inevitably be unnecessarily holding up already-frustrated motorists.

Being someone who avoids unnecessarily dangerous situations, I rarely make legal left turns on busy streets in downtown Toronto for the reasons stated above. In a 2009 commute to work video I posted on blogTO.com, I was criticized by a commenter for doing a hook left turn using the pedestrian walkway.

In the absence of proper infrastructure for left hand turns, I recommend that bicyclists enter the pedestrian area to make a hook left turn (when it is safe to do so). This involves staying to the right, and pulling into the pedestrian crossing area, then waiting for the alternate light to turn green.

A hook left turn could easily be accommodated with a tiny bit of infrastructure. Here is a diagram of the safer hook left turn bike box – courtesy of Inscrutable Ted:

This infrastructure reduces unnecessary conflict between motorists and bicyclists because the bicyclist isn’t forced to hold up traffic while making a left turn.

Here is a video from our friend AlexWarrior that nicely demonstrates a hook left turn in Vancouver. Watch the video in the bottom left corner:

Instead of accommodating the hook left turn, the City of Toronto seems to think that traditional bike boxes are the solution for safe left turns.

A bike box is a painted area that allows bicyclists to gather at a traffic light in front of automobiles. This helps improve visibility and reduces the chances of cars right hooking bicyclists while turning right.

Here is how Toronto is proposing to accommodate left turns using bike boxes.

TorontoBikeBox1.jpg

Courtesy of City of Toronto bike box postcard

One can imagine the hostility of the motorist in the blue car for having to wait for a bicyclist to turn left while he is trying to proceed straight. This is an avoidable and unnecessary conflict.

Here is a photo of a recently implemented bike box with a left turn area in Toronto:

Photo by James D. Schwartz / The Urban Country

Fortunately this left turn lane for bicycles includes a separate left-turn lane for automobiles, so a left-turning bicyclist wouldn’t be forced to hold up traffic to make her left turn.

However, these bike boxes are inadequate because the markings don’t make it obvious enough to motorists that they need to stop behind the first white line.

Here are two photos of a typical bike box in Portland, Oregon that take this into account:

PortlandBikeBox26.jpg

Photo courtesy of itdp / Flickr

PortlandBikeBox13.jpg

Photo courtesy of Rich & Cheryl / Flickr

Toronto’s implementation seem to cause confusion for motorists. While taking these photos, it didn’t take long for me to witness several motorists ignore the bike box markings:

Photo by James D. Schwartz / The Urban Country

Bike boxes aside, other cities support left turns for bicycles in different ways.

The Chinese approach is fairly simple and doesn’t hold up motorists: Bicyclists have a left turn signal that allows them to turn left from their bike lane to the other bike lane on the perpendicular road.

This bicycle turn signal works in conjunction with the automobile left turn signal so that bicycles and cars can both turn at the same time – each staying within their own painted lines while making their respective turns.

This approach eliminates the need for bicyclists to merge into traffic, but one must still be cautious while making a turn because motorists are turning at the same time. The Chinese aren’t known for staying within the painted lines.

IMG_45481.jpg

The ideal implementation for left turns of course comes from the Dutch. Some Dutch cities have physical separation between motorists and bicyclists even for left turns to avoid any possible conflict between the two. Here is a typical Netherlands junction with separate signals for bicyclists:

Photo courtesy of markenlei’s Youtube video on safe junctions

Bicyclists are able to proceed and immediately make a protected two-phase hook left turn while motorists wait. This wouldn’t be a hot seller in North America’s car-centric culture, but perhaps this will change as more people start using bicycles for transportation.

This type of implementation also requires a significant amount of space to implement, so it wouldn’t work on all streets. In dense cities where space is limited, a hook left turn implementation would suffice for safe left turns, and would be substantially better than our current method of forcing bicyclists to merge into traffic to make a left turn.

James D. Schwartz is the editor of The Urban Country. You can contact James at james.schwartz@theurbancountry.com.

Related Articles:

Back