News   Jul 16, 2024
 649     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 580     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 724     2 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Warning! The following may not be suitable for auto-centrist suburbanites.

I'm continually amazed at how it's magnitudes more predictable to cycle in Holland, not just the infrastructure, but the cyclists themselves, albeit there's a bit of an edge that doesn't exist in the other cities that you've posted. Amsterdam looks very civilized, I've never been there, even though I have an EU passport. Soon!

I have one quibble, and this has shown on all the linked vids you've posted, and I'm curious if this is an ongoing issue in Holland: Time and again, I've seen motorized scooters and small motorbikes acting well outside of cycling protocol. I'm a little perturbed that they have the right to use the cyclepaths. Any info on that? Some of those vehicles did dangerously reckless moves. The cyclists are all predictable, even when pushing the edge, the motorized ones were well over it.

I'm continually amazed at how it's magnitudes more predictable to cycle in Holland, not just the infrastructure, but the cyclists themselves, albeit there's a bit of an edge that doesn't exist in the other cities that you've posted. Amsterdam looks very civilized, I've never been there, even though I have an EU passport. Soon!

I have one quibble, and this has shown on all the linked vids you've posted, and I'm curious if this is an ongoing issue in Holland: Time and again, I've seen motorized scooters and small motorbikes acting well outside of cycling protocol. I'm a little perturbed that they have the right to use the cyclepaths. Any info on that? Some of those vehicles did dangerously reckless moves. The cyclists are all predictable, even when pushing the edge, the motorized ones were well over it.

I wish the city looked at this in detail vs deciding based on who was the loudest lobby group a couple of years ago.

On the roads the e-bikes are the ones at risk of vehicles. On the paths the cyclists are at risk. But which ones causes greater risk? Clearly cyclists think about themselves only and will say that e-bikes should be on roads. And e-bikes will say the same thing.

We only have limited public space. I wish people would look at numbers for the decisions not who has the loudest mouth.

We only have limited public space. I wish people would look at numbers for the decisions not who has the loudest mouth.
Well by that logic, cyclists should be able to use pedestrian paths and sidewalks.
This is nothing to do with "loudest mouths"...it's to do with compatible road use, and surely motorized or not, unless one has a handicap, is a defining delineator?

I was hoping W.K. Lis would answer from an inside viewpoint, but since you push the issue, then allow me:
The Moped Menace in the Netherlands
More than half of Amsterdam’s over 25,000 so-called ‘light’ moped riders admits they ‘almost always’ ride too fast. That was the news of this week. But it wasn’t really news. The Cyclists’ Union had already published a report last November 2012 that showed that 94% of the ‘light’ mopeds speeds. Some up to 60km/h where 25km/h is permitted. More than double the maximum speed! The average speed is 37km/h, that is 50% above the speed limit, yes, on average! The number of ‘light’ mopeds in Amsterdam grew at an astonishing rate, from 8,125 in 2007 to over 25,000 in 2012.

Cycle paths in the Netherlands are heavily used. Here we see a bakfiets, an elderly woman, children on bicycles and a light moped. It is very dangerous when light mopeds are speeding on cycle paths like these.

The current liberal minister for infrastructure remains deaf to the very reasonable complaints. Amsterdam wrote a letter to the ‘Tweede Kamer’ (“The Dutch House of Representatives”) asking to implement a helmet obligation to make the mopeds less attractive. But the minister does not want to do anything about this problem. And it is a problem, especially for cyclists, because these ‘light’ mopeds do their speeding on the cycle paths. The minister says the laws are there and she feels it is up to the municipalities. They only have to make sure the ‘light’ moped riders stick to the speed limits and everything will be fine.

This graphic shows the differences between the two types of mopeds, e-bikes and normal bicycles. The fourth column shows that both types of mopeds require a ‘riders-license’, not required for e-bikes and bicycles. The last three columns show the access to a non-mandatory cycle path, a cycle path and a combined cycle-moped path respectively. There are calls to change the two highlighted options. Light mopeds should also get a helmet obligation and they should be banned from the mandatory cycle paths. (Info graphic created after the example by De Persdienst in the news this week)

But why are those ‘light’ mopeds on the cycle path at all?

Dutch law makes a distinction between motor cycles and mopeds. Two wheeled motor vehicles with an engine displacement over 50cc are motor cycles, which are treated as a motor vehicle and can use the motor ways. They are never allowed on the cycling infrastructure. Anything with an engine displacement under 50cc is a moped or scooter. Since 1974, a third type of two wheeled motorised vehicles was introduced into Dutch law, the ‘light moped’, in Dutch ‘snorfiets,’ which is a euphemism meaning ‘purring bicycle’. Those first light mopeds were indeed little more than a bicycle with an additional purring little motor. All mopeds had to have pedals and the light type had smaller wheels to distinguish it from the heavier type of moped. It was felt this light and slow vehicle would be dangerous on the road mixed with fast motor traffic, and so the ‘purring bicycles’ were supposed to mix with the normal bicycles on the cycle paths. The heavy type got a yellow license plate and the light type a blue one. But the laws evolved and so did the machines.

Riding on the heavier type of moped means you have to wear a helmet (since 1975). That is not the case for the lighter type. For the latter the smaller wheels were not mandatory anymore since 1976 and the pedal requirement for both was dropped in 1985. Without the pedals, mopeds looked the same as scooters, especially the heavier type. The scooter version of the moped was much wider, and that width increased over time, so they became increasingly unfit for the cycle paths. They were too wide, too many and too fast. Since the speed for heavy mopeds is 45 km/h they could easily mix with the city traffic on the main carriage ways that drives 50km/h. This became law in 1999: the heavier type of moped was sent to the main carriage way. But from then on the lighter type became unexpectedly attractive. People didn’t want to mix with the car traffic, and they didn’t want to wear helmets, so they switched to the lighter type in high numbers. Suppliers saw that new demand, and they also noticed the light mopeds that looked like the heavy type sold best. Today there really is no difference anymore. Both types are generally exactly the same machine, but one is controlled to not go over 25km/h and the other has a limiter that prevents it from going over 45km/h. That limiter is easily disabled and that is what most riders do. That makes they can ride 60km/h on a machine that is supposed to not go faster than 25km/h on a cycle path where mothers ride with their children. A very unwanted situation, especially because cycling is also so on the rise. [...continues at length...]
https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2013/02/23/the-moped-menace-in-the-netherlands/

Continued next pane:

Last edited:
Cont'd from prior pane:
The number of accidents with mopeds is high and increasing very much. Amsterdam has analysed the crashes from 2001-2003 and from 2007-2009. In the first period there were 33 serious casualties per year on average (99 in 3 years) and in the second 3 year period there were 73 (219 in total). Moped riders endanger themselves most. From all serious injuries 19% is a moped rider, while their model split is only 2%. Percentage-wise the risk for cyclists seems low, the other party involved in a crash is only a cyclist in 9% of all moped crashes, but considering there were 50,000 mopeds (light and heavy in total) and 550,000 cyclists in Amsterdam at that time, it is a ratio which causes concern. Foremost, cyclists feel unsafe around all those mopeds. Of all cyclists, 14% say the mopeds are what they hate most in traffic.

Early 2013, Amsterdam started a pilot project, in which they ban also the ‘light mopeds’ from some of the city’s cycle paths that go through 30km/h zones. Arguing that this type of mopeds go 25km/h and can therefore easily mix with motor traffic going 30km/h. But they wear no helmets, so you can’t send them off the cycle paths going through 50km/h areas, for which they are also too slow. The Dutch policies of separating vehicle types, so different in volume and speed, forbid that. (Sustainable safety regulations). But people wanting change argue that under the same regulations you cannot go on mixing the big fast ‘light’ mopeds with much smaller and slower bicycles. For some years, experts have been calling for scrapping the whole light moped concept from Dutch law and to have all moped riders wear a helmet and have them all ride the same speed of 45km/h on the carriage ways. The city of Amsterdam asks exactly the same now and it is something the Cyclists’ Union would also welcome. Spokesperson Arien de Jong of the Cyclists’ Union said: “All the reasons for sending the heavy mopeds to the carriage way in 1999 are now valid for the lighter type too. They are too wide, ride too fast and cause a lot of pollution”. Indeed, the ‘purring bicycles’ from the past, to give people the ability to go slightly faster than a bicycle with little effort, do not exist anymore, and this law was meant for people who wanted to do that. Instead, there are now electric assist bicycles for these people who don’t want to go fast, but do need some help in cycling. There is no need for a ‘light moped category’ anymore. Scrapping the whole category from the law would end the terror of the mopeds on the cycle tracks.

Stop the scooter nuisance! This poster by the pressure group against scooter nuisance on the cycle paths of the Netherlands, shows a lot of Dutch have had it with the scooters.

Although the minister of transport doesn’t want to consider either yet (helmet obligation or riding on the carriage way), the producers of (light) mopeds now admit that it is perhaps too easy to disable the limiters. They also said the models are the same, because they do not want to produce a different type of machine for only the Dutch market. That would cost too much, but they are ready to reconsider. So it is perfectly clear the machines out there on the streets in the Netherlands, light or heavy, are really no different. The only visible difference is the blue or yellow license plate. People using ‘light’ mopeds with the limiter disabled are really only using a loophole in the law to be able to use the cycling infra (safer than the carriage way) without a helmet at speeds that infra wasn’t designed for. Society doesn’t take this anymore, pressure is building up. There is a pressure group with a website called: Scooter nuisance.nl who get ever more visible. But the heat is also building up in politics. The minister of safety and justice has announced he’ll look into the very low fines for people who get caught after bypassing the speed limiter. He was forced to do so after questions from representatives. It is very difficult to fine people, because the police have to actually test ride how fast the mopeds go. There is still hope something will change in the time to come. Until then, the Amsterdam alderman has proposed to implement speed cameras on the cycle paths to measure and record the speed of mopeds. That way the chance of getting caught when speeding on your ‘slow’ moped is at least increased.

NEW DEVELOPMENTS
In May 2014 the Minister of Transport announced legisation that will make it possible for municipalities to send mopeds to the carriage way. Read more in this blog post.
https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2013/02/23/the-moped-menace-in-the-netherlands/

We are facing the same problem here.

Find it interesting that in the Netherlands, for e-bikes, the maximum speed limit is 25 km/h and helmets are not required. However, here in Ontario, the maximum is 32 km/h and helmets are required.

graphic2.jpg

And here are the numbers:
[...]
When the heavier type of mopeds was sent to the carriageway in 1999 there was a decrease of 15% in casualties on the cycle paths. This was investigated by SWOV, the foundation for scientific research regarding road safety in the Netherlands. Amsterdam asked SWOV also for advice with regard to the present plans and in their (English summary of their) “Educated Guess” SWOV writes “The measure SOR [light moped to the carriageway] with compulsory helmet use results in an estimated reduction of 261 casualties. This is 38% fewer compared to the situation in 2012 when the number of casualties amounted to 689.”

Cycle paths in the Netherlands are heavily used. With a bakfiets, elderly and children on bicycles it is far too dangerous when light mopeds are speeding on those cycle paths.

So this measure will increase not only perceived safety but also real safety. And it will make using a light moped less attractive and cycling more attractive. That is a very good measure in my book, which was the reason why I supported the campaign with great pleasure. Of course there is still more work to do. This should eventually lead to striking the difference between light and heavy mopeds completely. The measure now only works for Amsterdam and should be expanded. There are numerous bollards, narrow paths and dangerous kerbs which should also be addressed. But this measure is one step in the right direction that must also be taken. Cycling in the Netherlands is not perfect, but this will make it a bit better yet again.

Find it interesting that in the Netherlands, for e-bikes, the maximum speed limit is 25 km/h

There's two categories in Holland. You quote the lower one, the one that is being severely abused.

Edit to Add: Here is the Fed definition that refers to the "32 kmh" figure:
power-assisted bicycle means a vehicle that:

• (a) has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals,

• (b) is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground,

• (c) is capable of being propelled by muscular power,

• (d) has one or more electric motors that have, singly or in combination, the following characteristics:
    • (i) it has a total continuous power output rating, measured at the shaft of each motor, of 500 W or less,

• (ii) if it is engaged by the use of muscular power, power assistance immediately ceases when the muscular power ceases,

• (iii) if it is engaged by the use of an accelerator controller, power assistance immediately ceases when the brakes are applied, and

• (iv) it is incapable of providing further assistance when the bicycle attains a speed of 32 km/h on level ground,
  • (e) bears a label that is permanently affixed by the manufacturer and appears in a conspicuous location stating, in both official languages, that the vehicle is a power-assisted bicycle as defined in this subsection, and

• (f) has one of the following safety features,
    • (i) an enabling mechanism to turn the electric motor on and off that is separate from the accelerator controller and fitted in such a manner that it is operable by the driver, or

• (ii) a mechanism that prevents the motor from being engaged before the bicycle attains a speed of 3 km/h; (bicyclette assistée)
Edit to Add: Here's the most applicable regulation as it applies to Toronto bicycle paths and lanes, and is being abused:

Electric Bikes in the City of Toronto

Municipalities may pass by-laws specific to power assisted bicycles that prohibit them from municipal roads, sidewalks, bike paths and trails, and bikes lanes under their jurisdiction. City of Toronto Municipal Code bylaws prohibit motor powered vehicles from being used on multi-use paths and in cycle tracks. Only electric bicycles with a wheel diameter of 26" or larger are allowed on the ferries to the Toronto Islands.

Types of "E-bikes"
pedelec.jpg

Pedelecs

E-bikes which are similar to bicycles ("Pedelecs") are considered to be bicycles by the municipality of Toronto, and may be used on all types of cycling infrastructure. This includes painted bike lanes, Cycle Tracks (separated bicycle lanes) and multi-use trails where regular bicycles are allowed. By it's definition in the Toronto Municipal Code, a "pedelec" must weigh less than 40kg and requires pedaling for propulsion.

e-scooter.jpg

E-Scooters

"E-scooters" may not be used on multi-use trails or Cycle Tracks (separated bike lanes). E-scooters are vehicles which meet the Provincial definition of an e-bike, but not the City's of Toronto's definition of a Pedelec.

In February 2014, Toronto City Council adopted the recommendation that a two-year evaluation to monitor the operation of e-scooters in painted bicycle lanes (which are not separated from motor vehicle traffic) be undertaken. In consultation with the Toronto Police, Transportation Services will report back to the Public Works and Infrastructure Committee within two years, and if required amend the Toronto Municipal Code to address any observed safety concerns related to the operation of e-scooters in painted bicycle lanes. [...]
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=f4d4970aa08c1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

It's a safe assumption to state that these restrictions apply to combustion powered machines also.

Last edited:
Well by that logic, cyclists should be able to use pedestrian paths and sidewalks.
This is nothing to do with "loudest mouths"...it's to do with compatible road use, and surely motorized or not, unless one has a handicap, is a defining delineator?
I've seen cyclists on pedestrian area and paths all the time in Japan, and it seemed to work. Maybe because most of them are short distance cyclists (bike within neighbourhood or riding their bikes from their home to the nearest transit station).

I digress on parking on sidewalks (pavements) in the UK. My family lives there and I'm still a Dual, just because it's done doesn't make it legal. It's a very serious problem in London, which is one of the reasons that car use is being so discouraged.

Edit to Add: Here you go: [Drivers could face fines of up to £70 for parking on the pavement as ministers reportedly look to extend the ban outside of London to the rest of England.

Parking on the pavement has been illegal in London for more than 40 years unless the exceptions to the rule have been clearly marked by blue parking signs or white bay lines.

But ministers have confirmed plans to extend this ban for the rest of the country, according to The Times, which could carry a fine of £70.][...]
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...0-fine-for-parking-on-pavements-a6989011.html

But on Japan:
HITTING THE BRAKES
Law gets serious about cycling safety
by Masaaki Kameda
Staff Writer
  • Jun 29, 2015
Bicycle use is growing along with greater public awareness of health and environmental issues, with cities around the country beginning to rent them out to visitors who are eager to tour Japan on the cheap.

But this has triggered a rise in fatal accidents caused by reckless cyclists, who are often taken to court and ordered to pay tens of millions of yen in damages for their transgressions.

The revised Road Traffic Law took effect June 1 to get a handle on the problem by penalizing cyclists who flout the rules of the road and forcing them to take safety courses if they fail to improve.

Let’s take a closer look at the government’s effort to crack down on risky cyclists.

How many bicycles are there and why are people riding?

According to the National Police Agency, there were 71.551 million bicycles in Japan in 2013, compared with 27.643 million in 1970.

A survey carried out by a transport ministry-affiliated research institute found that 42 percent of the 1,945 respondents said they ride regularly to stay fit and offset the lack of serious exercise, while 41 percent do so to cut their commuting or gasoline bills, and 9 percent do so to help the environment.

Are cycling-caused accidents on the rise?

No, but the ratio of fatal accidents is surging.

According to NPA figures, cyclists caused 109,269 accidents last year, down from 188,338 in 2004, while fatal accidents fell to 542 from 870 a decade ago. But the ratio of fatal accidents to the whole actually rose 1.3 points to 13.5 percent over the period. The fatalities, which included pedestrians, other cyclists or the cyclists themselves, rose to 82 from 51 in 2004.

Of the 106,427 deaths and injuries, 67,876, or 63.8 percent, were linked to traffic violations such as ignoring traffic lights or stop signs.

Why was the law amended?

The government wants to curb traffic violations that could lead to serious or fatal accidents.

Because of the surge in the ratio of fatal accidents caused by cyclists, the central government revised the law so that it classifies 14 types of traffic offenses and requires negligent cyclists to take safety lessons.

The offenses include ignoring traffic lights, passing under railway crossing gates when they are down, failing to stop at intersections where required, riding without properly working brakes and cycling while drunk. They also include violations of other safety regulations, such as cycling while using mobile phones, listening to music through earphones or holding an umbrella.

But the regulations can differ from place to place, since they vary by municipality or are set by local public safety commissions.

Cyclists are concerned that certain regulations are too ambiguous and give police too much leeway to charge them with traffic violations.

What do the new penalties involve?

The police can issue tickets to cyclists who are 14 or older. If you get two or more in a three-year period, you would be required to take a safety lesson similar to the one imposed on car, truck and motorcycle drivers.

The mandatory safety lesson takes three hours and costs ¥5,700. Cyclists who refuse will be fined up to ¥50,000.

The lesson, which can be taken at driver’s license centers and prefectural police headquarters, involves studying traffic rules, reading accounts written by errant cyclists, and accounts written by the victims or their relatives.

What are the consequences of serious cycling accidents?

Cyclists involved in accidents resulting in severe injury or death can impose enormous financial penalties on themselves and their families.

In July 2013, the Kobe District Court ordered a mother to pay ¥95 million in damages after her son hit a 67-year-old woman while riding his bicycle on a hill in Kobe, leaving her bedridden.

In January 2014, the Tokyo District Court ordered a male cyclist to pay ¥47 million in damages to the family of an elderly pedestrian he hit and killed after running a red light.

In response, the Hyogo Prefectural Assembly in March adopted an ordinance requiring cyclists to buy liability insurance, becoming the first prefecture in the nation to do so.

Last Thursday, the Tokyo public safety commission suspended the driver’s license of a man who drunkenly cycled across a busy street at a place where there was no crossing in January and crashed into a motorcycle, killing the driver.

The accident thus gave the commission reason to judge that the cyclist posed a danger as a motorist as well.

What other measures are being considered to curb bicycle-related fatalities?

Some governments, including Ehime Prefecture and the city of Sakai in Osaka Prefecture, have introduced ordinances calling for cyclists of all ages to wear helmets, rather than just children 12 and under who are encouraged to do so under the Road Traffic Law.

Experts say that the central and regional governments should also improve the transportation environment for cyclists, including by creating more cycling lanes to improve safety and help them abide by the rules.

A 2011 questionnaire conducted by the NPA found that 58 percent of the 790 respondents said they cannot abide by the traffic rules while cycling because of bad traffic conditions.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/06/29/reference/law-gets-serious-cycling-safety/

Last edited:
And further to the idealized "look how they do it in XXX..." (They face the same breakdown in *protocol* and *sensibility* that we do here, albeit Toronto is one of the worst cities I've seen or lived in anywhere for gonzo cyclists)
New law aimed at curbing bicycle traffic violations, accidents goes into effect
National Jun. 01, 2015 - 06:55AM JST ( 61 )

TOKYO —

In recent years, the number of bicycle traffic violations and bicycle-related accidents has been on the rise. In response to this, a revised traffic law went into effect nationwide on Monday.

Under the new law, any cyclist who is caught riding through a red light or violating other traffic regulations more than twice in a period of three years, will be required to take a safety course before being allowed back on the streets. The course lasts for three hours, and costs the participants 5,700 yen. Anyone who does not attend the course after receiving the order will be fined up to 50,000 yen.

There are 13 traffic violations covered by the new law.

—Riding through/ignoring traffic signals
—Passing under a railway crossing gate
—Not stopping at stop signs
—Violating traffic regulations while riding on sidewalks
—Riding with malfunctioning/non-working brakes
—Riding a bicycle while intoxicated
—Entering off-limit areas
—Riding too slowly on sidewalks and obstructing pedestrian flow
—Not following traffic lines
—Riding onto pedestrian-only areas of sidewalks
—Entering crosswalk without green-light to do so
—Not paying attention to other pedestrians and or cyclists due to using mobile devices
—Violating regulations when at circular cross-walks

Japan Today
http://www.japantoday.com/category/...traffic-violations-accidents-goes-into-effect

I'm off to do distance again tomorrow, Peterborough to Uxbridge, retracing Sean Marshall's wonderful write-up on it: http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/08/03/revisiting-uxbridge-peterborough-rail-trails/
Fortunately, almost all cyclists on these trails, once outside of city limits, are sensible, careful and interesting. I leave it at that...

Sometimes we should be glad we live in the GTA, and not in AB.....

Why? If you remove the central 40km^2 area from the GTA you get roughly the same thing as Calgary; much of that population has similar opinions about local transit too.

Calgary will get there kicking and screaming, the same way as most of the GTA is getting there. Population turnover (new generation coming in, old generation going out) is a very important mechanism for change; Mr. Pilson's kids probably have a slightly different opinion on the matter. Thankfully, it's his kids who will be around to actually use the new infrastructure.

Last edited:
Why? If you remove the central 40km^2 area from the GTA you get roughly the same thing as Calgary; much of that population has similar opinions about local transit too.

Calgary will get there kicking and screaming, the same way as most of the GTA is getting there. Population turnover (new generation coming in, old generation going out) is a very important mechanism for change; Mr. Pilson's kids probably have a slightly different opinion on the matter. Thankfully, it's his kids who will be around to actually use the new infrastructure.

All true - all the same I'm gratified that we are further ahead, though - the hardest part is getting started, and we have made those painful steps - we get the benefits of that.

I agree that generational change will speed things up. (I find it daunting to be part of a generation that is being blamed for so many biases and privileged attitudes. If you compare how things were when we came into the picture, we've achieved enough changes that we have the right to be proud of where we are. Unfortunately my knees just can't rack up the cycling km's anymore.)

- Paul

If you think Calgary is bad, evidently Edmonton is worse:
[...][There’s nowhere else for the cyclist to go because Edmonton is the largest Canadian city without a single dedicated bike path downtown.

While Vancouver is rolling out a bike-share program and Calgary finished a downtown network of bike paths last summer, the car is still king in Edmonton. The city’s first downtown bike path will not be finished before 2020, based on current plans.

Frustrated cyclists and local politicians bemoan a city government lacking ambition. They point to the contrast between what Mayor Don Iveson has accomplished and his progressive image. The young mayor championed active transportation three years ago when he ran for office, but now he has overseen the removal of four bike paths.

“By all accounts, Edmonton has fallen behind and we need political will to move forward,” Councillor Scott McKeen said in an interview from his office in City Hall. “We’ve been doing this in a really half-arsed way.”][...]
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...eep-the-car-king-of-the-road/article31088063/

I did the Peterborough to Uxbridge Rail Trail yesterday. Had to do it fast since GO train to Oshawa was delayed half an hour due to a stalled train ahead with a "hotbox", fortunately they held the Peterborough bus (only runs every two hours) at Oshawa. Travel time on the trail (approx 100 km) about five hours. Didn't want to miss the last bus out of Uxbridge. Peterborough bus an excellent ride. I never knew there was so much swamp and bog between Pete and Ux. Whether it's because it's been so dry or not don't know, but the crushed limestone for most of the distance had separated into the very fine stone on top of the hardened clay underneath, and was quite dangerous in spots. Possible solution is to spray it with a binder. See: http://www.americantrails.org/photoGalleries/cool/3-ADA-Accessible-Trail-Surface.html

Some jurisdictions get this really right, the Elora-Cataract Trail for instance, very fast, and stable. Ditto the Cambridge to Hamilton and Port Dover trails, and other ones going into Hamilton, as well as the Kissing Bridge one, albeit there may be an aging factor too. Some jurisdictions get it very wrong, the connector between the Elora Trail and Kissing Bridge Trail is of a very unsuitable gravel. I'll research further later and post details, I'm sore all over today, learning to walk again...lol. What an excellent day.

Big take-away from yesterday's trip, and fortunately, no Montezuma's Revenge today...but much of the local tap water was *skuzzy*, even in Peterborough. Tastes mouldy. Unfortunately there's not many towns to stock up in, but any stops you make, buy *bottled* water! I normally don't advise that, but if it it's potable, the psychology of drinking skanky water means it doesn't satisfy your taste buds, which sounds odd, but necessary when slogging the miles.

Also, and this ties in with Paul's Calgary post: I passed more illegals on motorbikes than other cyclists the whole length that I did. That trail and others should be used, or we'll lose them! Paul is right, this part of Ontario has a large number of trails now, and they're an excellent investment of tax dollars *ONLY* if they're used. I've noticed same doing most of the other trails, some of them incredible ones, like the Cambridge to Brantford section especially. Stunningly beautiful and fast. Not many people on them outside of the city perimeters. In all fairness to Hamilton, the sections in the perimeter are heavily used, and by interesting, aware and healthy people. Ditto Brantford.

Edit to Clarify: [Some jurisdictions get this really right, the Elora-Cataract Trail for instance, very fast, and stable.]

*ALL* Trails, even those with excellent surfaces, have spots where the elements (or illegal motorized vehicles) cause the surface to deteriorate and rut. In the case of the Peter to Ux one, the loose fine stone on top causes forward resistance as well as steering instability. Using larger section tires helps to a point, but once you're up to 25c or more, you've addressed the tendency to 'slice' the surface, but it can still act in unexpected ways. *Never* take one or both hands off the bars when travelling at speed on it. If I wasn't forced by the clock to do the rate I was, it would have been much easier to double the time taken, and view some more of the incredible vistas. If you do it one one day, Saturday is better for later buses at the Uxbridge end, or get a start well before noon at either end.

Last edited:

Back