News   May 16, 2024
 544     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 743     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 574     0 

Gay History in Toronto

The first bar I went to in Toronto when I was 19 was , I think Komrads. It was just off Yonge on Isabella. I also went to A bar near Sherbourne station just south of Bloor but I can't remember the name.

The very first bar I ever went to however was in my hometown of London. Called the Bannister, it was right on Dundas and this was 1982.

Of course when I was going to university during 84 to 88 bars were somewhere you went to dance and look at men but NEVER touch. Back then guys were dropping like flies from AIDS and people were even afraid to kiss another guy little alone have sex. So many died in the 82 to 99 period and most were in their prime sexual activity years at the time from the 20s to late 30s. This is why there are so many retiring baby boomers who have just hit 55 with the very notable exception of gay men. There are far fewer gay baby boomers than the population at large because this population segment was decimated by AIDS.

The first bar I went to in Toronto when I was 19 was , I think Komrads. It was just off Yonge on Isabella. I also went to A bar near Sherbourne station just south of Bloor but I can't remember the name.

I think you probably mean the Hotel Selby on Sherbourne, it had a quite popular bar about then.

Yes, many a beer with my dad on the patio!
Then there was Colby's, Trax, and a few others I can't recall. I do remember one night out with my dad, his partner, my soon to be wife, myself and a few other friends. We attended a bi place with cage dancers! Now where was that?

Hey, everyone. We’re working on a free non-profit app that’s basically a self-guided walking tour of various sites in Toronto’s LGBTQ history, to be released in June. The points of interest will be accompanied by rich media such as mini-docs, interviews, archival images or footage. (You can read more about the project at queerstory.ca.)

Anyway, right now we’re looking for photos from the the Manatee, the Parkside and Stages, the St. Charles, and the Melody Room and Togethers (both where the Black Eagle is now).

Of course, we’re working with the CLGA and doing research at the Toronto and Ontario archives, but we wanted to know if anyone out there has further photos from these locations we’d be able to use. We’d give you full credit, of course. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to contribute. I actually have learned more about the history of gay Toronto from this informal thread than I have from any group, book or event (isn't that how it always goes!).
I came out at age 15 and later arrived in downtown Toronto hoping to find an accepting, nonjudgmental group of guys. Instead I found mostly elitist, mean-spirited gay men who expected perfection and wouldn't bother talking to you unless you had lots of money, a post-doctorate degree, or connections that would get them somewhere. Despite that deep disappointment, I still love Toronto and as much as I regret coming out sometimes and how alone I feel, I do want to know what being gay was like here in the past. I'd like to see more photos of gay life here before gay Toronto became so focused around million dollar condos, $900 sunglasses and snooty, country club attitudes.

Queerstory app launched

We've launched our free locative app Queerstory just in time for World Pride in Toronto! The self directed walking tour app contains 47 short mini-docs and media artworks at over 30 Points of Interest covering a century of Toronto's LGBTQ history.
http://www.queerstory.ca twitter @queerstoryapp
drop by our booth at the World Pride Community Streetfair - we're on Alexander Street just east of Buddies in Bad Times.:D

Back