News   Sep 16, 2024
 626     0 

Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art

OT - but it's quite opportune re: Museum of Medicine - from U of T news:

Landmark sculpture a tribute to U of T's giants of biomedical science
U of T pioneers of biomedical sciences research honoured
Jun 28/06
by W.D. Lighthall

A magnificent bronze sculpture unveiled June 27 in the University of Toronto’s new Giants of Biomedical Science Hall commemorates the university’s long history of breakthrough research in the biomedical sciences.

Located in the lobby of the recently opened and state-of-the-art Terrence Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research, the bronze sculpture depicts 10 leading researchers whose accomplishments at U of T have made vital contributions to advancing the prevention and treatment of disease.

The sculpture was created by Veronica de Nogales Leprevost and Edwin Timothy Dam, of Dam de Nogales Sculptors. The researchers and doctors represented in the sculpture (find the full list at the end of this story) include: Sir Frederick Banting, co-discoverer of insulin at U of T in 1922; Dr. Charles Best, who collaborated with Dr. Banting on the discovery of insulin; and Dr. Lap-Chee Tsui, who in 1989 discovered the gene for cystic fibrosis.

“Today we pay tribute to some of the University of Toronto’s giants of biomedical science – women and men who made their mark at the university,†said Professor Catharine Whiteside, dean of the Faculty of Medicine. “Today, a new frontier of research opens before us. Researchers in this building and elsewhere are exploring human health at the cellular and molecular levels, expanding our understanding of the mechanisms of disease and looking for new ways to prevent and treat it. These researchers truly stand on the shoulders of these giants,†Whiteside said.

The other inductees are: Wilfred Bigelow, developer of the first artificial cardiac pacemaker; George Connell, biochemical research advocate and former president of U of T; Maud Menten, founder of modern enzymology; Fraser Mustard, advocate for early childhood development; Vera Peters, developer of lumpectomy as an alternative to radical mastectomy; Robert Salter, innovator in orthopedic surgery; and Louis Siminovitch, founder of the department of medical genetics.

These giants of biomedical science now literally have a reach extending 10 stories high. Each has had a floor in the 10-storey Donnelly CCBR named after them. On each floor a museum-quality display board provides information about each individual, their careers and accomplishments in biomedical research and medicine.

Mairi Best, a professor of earth and planetary sciences at McGill University and granddaughter of Charles Best, said her grandfather’s scientific accomplishments, which extend well beyond his work in the discovery of insulin, were driven by his insatiable curiosity for biomedical research. “I’d like people in this building to look at these plaques and keep in mind a couple things that really drove my grandfather. He could have sat on his laurels after 1922 but he didn’t,†she said. “For him, research was the thrill of the chase, curiosity and the sharing of knowledge and understanding with others. At its best, this is the culture of science and it’s a generous culture and one I hope will live on in this building.â€

In the 1980s, Lap-Chee Tsui was engaged in genetics research at the Hospital for Sick Children and at U of T’s Department of Medical Genetics and Microbiology. After eight years of painstaking research, Tsui and his team identified a key gene in the development of cystic fibrosis, a breakthrough which greatly contributed to knowledge about the disease. For these accomplishments, Tsui is now honoured in sculpture and with a floor plaque in the DCCBR.

“I would like to thank U of T for giving me this tremendous honour,†Tsui said. “My work was very much team work and this (new) building supports collaboration and the interdisciplinary approach that’s so very important.â€

www.news.utoronto.ca/bin6...8-2400.asp

AoD

Gardiner Museum (UT)

GardinerRender.jpg

Developer: Gardiner
Architect: KPMB
Planning Docs: Final Report, Toronto East York Community Council
Designation: Museum
Expected Occupancy: 2006
Height:
Floors:
Size:
Value: 20 million

Photos on 2006.07.22

20060722-Gardiner001.jpg

Northwest view.

20060722-Gardiner002.jpg

Directly in front of the entrance.

20060722-Gardiner003.jpg

Southwest view. Clearly the landscaping is incomplete.

AoD

That's one fabulous looking building. Would love to have a home like that!

Looks excellent, and very un-Toronto. I'd like to see more of this sort of modernism.

This building is one of those rare ones that looks better built than in the rendering I think (or at least in that tiny rendering lol). It actually looks really funky!

Easily one of the best new buildings in the city... brilliant.

Especially nice to have an urbane little gem like this in direct counterpoint to the ROM, which is anything but.

Agree, Sir Novelty. The area offers such an amazing collection of heritage buildings from all eras and styles. It's nice to see quality architecture from this era being added for posterity.

It is one of three Toronto buildings that are featured in a new British television series on North American architecture that will be out in the fall, and aired in Canada.

A pity that none of the permanent collection is on display yet. I suppose they had to keep their word and open the building to the public by a certain date, despite construction delays. And of course the restaurant couldn't be kept waiting.

What with the restaurant being Jamie Kennedy's, it is art on a plate after all. And one would hope they serve on museum quality china!

Jamie Kennedy's food, while good, is hardly art on a plate. Unless you're Joanne Kates, in which case it could be excrement on a plate and she would still write a review for the Globe proclaiming it genius.

Didn't they recently have to install a big filter thing in the kitchen because the University neighbours complained about the food smells? Now, apparently, it vibrates the restaurant and the second floor offices slightly.

My baritone friend had a couple of us over for dinner on Saturday and we chattered about the reno. Love them display cases! Theresa, the ceramist, and I concluded that the changing exhibition space demands big shows, at the expense of small subtle ones. The Jean-Pierre Larocque exhibition is a case in point - very showy, with a large body of similar commissioned powerful works produced to fill the gallery and make a bravura statement. We took it all in, but actually preferred his drawings.

Back