News   Jul 16, 2024
 342     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 506     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 627     2 

Gallery Loft Towns (Beverley & Cecil, Ideas Development, 4s, DTAH)

7280101570_e59ae375fd_b.jpg

Yep. For shame. These seem like such obvious considerations. Would it have been so difficult to design something more fitting along the Beverly side, or for the city to insist on it? More urban potential sacrificed for the sake of unthinking expedience. Its simple rudeness and I wish we'd stop tolerating it.

A blank wall on a prime urban corner? Instant fail.

Zero relationship to the historic homes next door? Check.

Looks like a North York project plopped in the wrong place.

Its not so much the building in and of itself that bothers me, its the way it meets Beverly. I pass it every day on my way to work and, as UD mentioned, the way it backs on old victorians feels really awkward, and it treats Beverley Street almost as if it were a mere laneway and not the grand old street it is. I'll try to get a picture of what I mean, meanwhile a closer pic:

7281246574_8339a675f8_b.jpg

Well, if people didn't insist on buying crap we wouldn't have to deal with it.

Well, if people didn't insist on buying crap we wouldn't have to deal with it.

with some minor changes, it wouldn't look THAT bad .
if they had used ipe wood instead of brown vinyl (?) siding it would look SOOO MUCH better !

These photos illustrate what bugs me about this development - how it sticks its rear up against the front porch of its old victorian neighbour, and IMO it crudely interrupts the rhythm of Beverly street:

7294425774_54979f8a85_c.jpg

7294424918_3c76933382_c.jpg

Hideous. It looks as if they didn't even know that this was going to be on a corner. Also it looks like something out of the late 70s, and not in a good way.

According to their website, DTAH was involved in the Wavedecks on Queens Quay, the Evergreen Brick Works, the Distillery and the Wychwood Barns revitalization and even the Malthouse townhomes development from a while back (which is one of my favourite block of townhomes in Toronto).....so how the hell did this happen???

Very underwhelming indeed.
Already looks very dated, like a school from the 70's/80's. The drab muddy material and colour palatte is mostly to blame.
The dark brown siding and yellow/beige stucco is such a letdown. Looks very cheap considering these townhouses were selling for a lot of money.

It's quite the awkward group of townhouses in its relationship with the street. Beverley Street is a beautiful street with all its heritage buildings, but these townhouses merely present an ungraceful side facade looming over the street with the cheap backside rudely exposed for everyone to see. It's like all those townhouse projects from the 1960s and 1970s around the city where two facades are highly visible from the street, but one is treated as a plain side facade when it actually facades a busy street. It's an overly simplistic approach to architecture. A setback on Beverley would make the backs of the townhouses less visible and allow for two of those massive bays--a simple and more attractive attractive approach that would have presented a dignified facade on Beverley Street. The yellow brick stands out for the wrong reason: it brings attention to the lack of detail on the facade. DTAH and Montgomery Sisam seem to be two firms whose quality and sophistication varies widely between projects.

Last edited:
Landscaping is being done the next couple of weeks, hopefully it improves the corner. The design I was given calls for "deciduous trees" in front of each window.

The architect is DTAH. The developer was Alex Spiegel of One Developments, or Ideas Developments. They've recently merged/absorbed by http://build-green.com, which is connected with http://www.windmilldevelopments.com

Respectable outfits? They gave me 9 days notice for a 2-week delay, which is now going on 10 weeks and two temporary moves later with a toddler and an infant. And now they want me to pay them "rent" for my inconvenience because they think I should pay for the never ending delay and their costs of housing my daughter in the basement furnace room, and my 5 month old son in a closet. Yes, I'm upset and taking to the interwebs to vent.

Last edited:
When I look at those pix (and shudder at the Beverley elevation), I have to ask: is the lack of set-back from Beverley not the city's fault? Land ain't cheap (this land especially), and if a developer isn't allowed to build up, they're certainly going to build out to the maximum allowed.

Back