News   Jul 30, 2024
 472     1 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 427     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 540     1 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

ok, this guy is delusional. He actually claims to have been beaten "numerous times". He must have been a real pest, desperate to get into the Gulag. "Many beatings" received, this is hysterical. He was deprived of food and water for 5 hours? Does that qualify as "deprived" - hell that's me right now! Lastly he thinks he was held because of some left-wing articles he's written for the Guardian. Trust me, no-one has ever heard of him.

Why should we trust you? Do you write for The Daily Telegraph, or perhaps The Times? Maybe, The Independent?

What's that... you don't? You're just an internet forum poster?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you actually read those articles or just googled headliners?

any evidience of 'brutality' outside of norm?

sorry the detention centres didn't haave 500 thread count and wasn't temperature controled to 23 degrees and a 65% humidity rate.

No evidence of assault, all had access to a hearing/lawyer.. etc etc...

Yes, there might have been some mistaken identity in arrests, but considering the circumstances... hundres of protesters, mistakes will be made.
would it have been better to let the propesters continue and have a few idiots hide among the crowd and destroy all the mom and pop stores? Maybe that would have appeased the anti-police crowd.. then large coporations can come in and scoop up the properties and put a mcdonalds or a GAP.

That probably would have been a better outcome - gentrify the entire city and get all the clowns out of the core.

I read them all actually, and posted them earlier in the thread. Clearly you didn't read them because 12 hours without water and a reporter from the Guardian being held by his arms while a 3rd police officer punches him in the stomach are surely acts of brutality. Those are just two of the many stories that have come out and considering the vast majority of these people who these stories involve are innocent, it should be very disconcerting that such a thing can happen in not just our country, but our city.

More news from the holding pens:
http://torontoist.com/2010/06/g20_eastern_avenue_detention_centre.php

The group's accounts of conditions inside the detention centre are ones of austerity, antagonism, suffering, confusion, and disorganization. Kimia Ghomeshi recalls "tons of police, most of [whom] weren't doing anything." She says officers routinely replied to requests for information by saying, "I have no idea what's going on...I wish I knew." Detainees were locked in cages, denied access to legal counsel, and in some cases, says Robichaud and many others we spoke to who were detained, ridiculed or ignored when requesting first aid or prescribed medication, including a man who fainted after repeatedly being denied treatment for what he said was diabetes. Taylor Flook was in a cell with a woman who claimed to need medication for her bipolar disorder, which she was denied for three hours. Many of the ten describe lighting that made sleep difficult or impossible, especially in concert with heckling officers and screaming captives. They say detainees who experienced extreme anxiety and panic attacks were released from cages to calm down, only be locked up again after a few minutes. Ghomeshi says the conditions were "a complete violation of our rights."

At least as troubling are allegations of racist and sexist behaviour by officers. Maryam Adrangi relates a conversation between the male officers who photographed her during processing: "'Take another one,' says an officer. Another says, 'Send me one!' A third says, 'let's keep this one [Adrangi] here a bit longer.'" Robichaud claims that an officer commented on a wooden turtle she wears as a necklace, asking if it was her "totem." She says he continued: "That sure as hell didn't help you out last night, did it?" Robichaud claims that officers "tried to break our spirits and ridicule our beliefs." There were toilets in plain view, strip searches, and concerns that at least two detainees who were identified as minors but not permitted to leave

Clearly you didn't read them because 12 hours without water and a reporter from the Guardian being held by his arms while a 3rd police officer punches him in the stomach are surely acts of brutality. Those are just two of the many stories that have come out and considering the vast majority of these people who these stories involve are innocent, it should be very disconcerting that such a thing can happen in not just our country, but our city.

Thats all rubbish..well see what comes out in the wash.."Its ridículos how so many people are jumping on the bandwagon against the Toronto police".

It was indeed a surreal scene – my wife and I were out shopping and went for a walk down to the so called peaceful protest to see first hand what was going on. I think the media and most comments I’ve seen on UrbanToronto and other forums seem to divide the crowd into the “peaceful” legitimate protestors and the Black Bloc, my experience suggests there is a large group of so called “peaceful” protestors that occupy a grey area in the middle. They weren’t black-bloc who from what I saw numbered maybe around 100, but there were several hundred other hardcore protestors who were claiming that they were being peaceful and that it was some kind of ‘police state’, yet they felt compelled to bring bandanas, ear plugs, goggles, make shift (and in some cases real) gas masks down to a ‘peaceful protest’ – it go ugly very quickly.

That is called being prepared.

Ok, your reaction here pretty much solidifies the suspicion that you have a horse in this race. Are you a cop? Steve Paiken, TVO host, witnessed the beating.... I'm sure he's delusional too?

Well, I love observing your logic unfold. YES! I have a horse in this race- several in fact: a job (for now), a mortgage (for certain), a dislike for people who thrill in violence or who want to 'observe' but complkain when they get drawn in. And my challenge stands - present anyone who has been subjected to actual police violence. To say that a detention center was unbearable for all of 15 hours because the lights were on, or the water, food, blankets were inadequate is to GREATLY disrespect and diminish the ACTUAL suffering and oppression REAL victims suffer EVERY day in 20 countries. Apparently, things are so pampered in our society a simple shove or rude exchange is considered a beating.

I have a good friend who took a blind-side punch and soccer kick to the head 20 years ago who still doesn't walk properly. You would have similat friends. That is violence. We had 5,000 cops and 5,000-10,000 protestors. Show me anything beyond bruised feelings. Trott them out for the breathless photographers.

I think the point is that after what happened on sat and the apparent lack of a police preseence on Yonge with the violence unfolding, the mood on sunday was that the police had to respond in much more serious manner to any gathering of protestors.

From what I know, the people at Queen and Spadina were warned 3 times to leave, didn't and then the police moved in. You had to be either bone-headed or completely naive to think that you can just take over a street interesection the day after riots and violence downtown and expect nothing to happen.

And when police in riot gear ask you to leave 3 times and you refuse? What did any of these people think was going to happen?
Blair on Saturday after his press conference said to a reported who asked if any of the rubber bullets had been fired, answered NO. He said he had been in touch with his members and the definite answer was NO. So how is one to believe he really knew what was going on, and that people were really warned 3 times to leave? If you were watching CP24 live, you would know that nobody was asked to leave at all. They were right in the middle of it. If you did try to leave, you were arrested and detained, not left to leave on your own free will.

As if working for a paper makes you somehow trustworthy?

Left-wing reporters (as this guy describes himself) have greater biases, and conflicts of interest that do "we". I am not looking for publicity, fame, money or anything - they are. These reporters know exactly how to press the cops button - like standing 6" in front of them for hours and backing up as slowly as possible.

Its comical how these guys complain about the arrests BUT WE KNOW it has been the single greatest thrill of their lives. They will tell these tales for the rest of their days. 'there i was with Mandela...' Groan.

Last edited:
thanks to MikeInTO for his in depth first hand account of events and his very accurate and level headed analysis of the events of Saturday afternoon.

my thoughts about the actions on Spadina Ave late Sunday. These actions seemed to commence as the summit was concluding and leaders were going to be leaving the secured area. The police wanted to freeze the movements of all who were on the streets. My feeling at that point was - alright this is over, go home people. Of course as we saw numerous times on the weekend there was a mix of taunters and inciters, backed by other no minded assholes who just wanted to be part of the spectacle, mixed in with dozens of wannabe photography superheroes. When the police tell you that enough is enough and to leave the area and you refuse to do so, you get what you deserve... you get rushed, arrested and detained. I am truly surprised by how many people on here are insistent about their right and the rights of others to be an asshole in a public place.

And all this whining about the harsh conditions in the holding center. Please... they were clearly given the legally required necessities. What do you expect - you play the game, you pay the price. You cant have it both ways. Hopefully one or two morons learned a lesson from seeing the inside of that holding center.

Luckily it seems that wider public opinion is supportive of what the police did on the whole... the complaints of brutality are completely unfounded, you get what you ask for. Dont like it, stay home next time.

Last edited:
Well, I love observing your logic unfold. YES! I have a horse in this race- several in fact: a job (for now), a mortgage (for certain), a dislike for people who thrill in violence or who want to 'observe' but complkain when they get drawn in. And my challenge stands - present anyone who has been subjected to actual police violence. To say that a detention center was unbearable for all of 15 hours because the lights were on, or the water, food, blankets were inadequate is to GREATLY disrespect and diminish the ACTUAL suffering and oppression REAL victims suffer EVERY day in 20 countries. Apparently, things are so pampered in our society a simple shove or rude exchange is considered a beating.

This rant has nothing to do with what I called you out on. At no point have I accused the police of ubiquitous or systematic brutality.

A journalist was assaulted for no reason, and this was witnessed by Steve Paiken, a well-respected centrist member of the media who can be deemed as credible. You dismissed this allegation, and went straight for a character assassination. Please explain.

Redroom Studios said:
Luckily it seems to wider public opinion is supportive of what the police did on the whole... the complaints of brutality are completely unfounded, you get what you ask for. Dont like it, stay home next time.

You get what you ask for? You don't care which side of the line of law these people were on? I think that's very important. You can't hit people with batons for simply being idiots. I'm guessing you're in the "she shouldn't have dressed like that if she didn't want it" camp.

Last edited:
I think your suggestion is silly. You presume "government" to be some monolithic institution that is utterly out of touch with the population, but that is to be expected of apologists of violence - like you.

Stop right there: apologist of violence? Get a grip on yourself: I'm perhaps guilty of imprecise choice of words--I meant politicians, rather than governments en bloc--and certainly guilty of posting a reply too quickly, but I can't think of anything in that post that makes it an apology for violence. I was simply referring to how the unacceptable actions and extremism of a tiny minority, piggy-backing on legitimate protest, tends to cast a shadow on the actions and opinions of those domestic NGOs who disagree with the main stream of politics and business-as-usual, making the latter even less willing to go out of their ideological and policy comfort zones in their dialog with civil society.

I can guarantee you that those who carried out the public destruction and the intimidation of the populace don't give one shit about what goes on in the rest of the world. On the contrary, they use the cover of what you call "legitimate concerns" as an excuse for their violence. Some bunch of heroes. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of these so-called "anarchists" have not had to suffer from extreme poverty of a lack of clean drinking water, but they use the existence of those things to legitimate their mass acts of vandalism. In the end, they achieve absolutely nothing positive or worthwhile for anyone - other than satisfying their selfish desire to cause damage and terrify others.

You also appear to be oblivious to the fact that it is the violent "anarchist" protesters who undermine reasonable forms of expression that can give voice to legitimate causes during these summits. You are so quick to condemn governments that you forget to recognize that the failure lies with those who can't express a legitimate reasoned thought, but opt instead to smash property and intimidate people. What we are left with is a situation where protest - the legitimate right to public free expression - comes with the anticipation of violence. In doing so, the entire idea of civil protest suffers because these violence-prone individuals have directly linked their destructive acts to protest activities. These individuals are true parasites. They feed off the good intentions of reasonable persons wishing to draw attention to a specific issue, they commit their callous crimes, and in doing so they undermine reasoned protest actions.

I entirely agree with what you write--far more eloquently than I can manage!--but I was not discussing the hooligans in my quick post, just their effect of their violence on the dialogue between social advocates and politicians on difficult, polarizing issues, especially where these issues become tainted or marginalized by the linking you refer to, to the point where no politician really wants to touch them, and apparent quick fixes are sometimes preferred, because less politically costly. Think of such things as the treatment of substance abuse, youth crime, etc, especially where the problems involve public disorder and marginalized populations that the majority fears in any case.

They deserve no protection and no defence for their actions. They should be exposed and repudiated by government, police and civil protesters alike.

No, they deserve a full and fair public trial in the courts--that will expose and repudiate their hooliganism and exemplify the rule of law that we all want.

More news from the holding pens:
http://torontoist.com/2010/06/g20_eastern_avenue_detention_centre.php

The group's accounts of conditions inside the detention centre are ones of austerity, antagonism, suffering, confusion, and disorganization. Kimia Ghomeshi recalls "tons of police, most of [whom] weren't doing anything." She says officers routinely replied to requests for information by saying, "I have no idea what's going on...I wish I knew." Detainees were locked in cages, denied access to legal counsel, and in some cases, says Robichaud and many others we spoke to who were detained, ridiculed or ignored when requesting first aid or prescribed medication, including a man who fainted after repeatedly being denied treatment for what he said was diabetes. Taylor Flook was in a cell with a woman who claimed to need medication for her bipolar disorder, which she was denied for three hours. Many of the ten describe lighting that made sleep difficult or impossible, especially in concert with heckling officers and screaming captives. They say detainees who experienced extreme anxiety and panic attacks were released from cages to calm down, only be locked up again after a few minutes. Ghomeshi says the conditions were "a complete violation of our rights."

At least as troubling are allegations of racist and sexist behaviour by officers. Maryam Adrangi relates a conversation between the male officers who photographed her during processing: "'Take another one,' says an officer. Another says, 'Send me one!' A third says, 'let's keep this one [Adrangi] here a bit longer.'" Robichaud claims that an officer commented on a wooden turtle she wears as a necklace, asking if it was her "totem." She says he continued: "That sure as hell didn't help you out last night, did it?" Robichaud claims that officers "tried to break our spirits and ridicule our beliefs." There were toilets in plain view, strip searches, and concerns that at least two detainees who were identified as minors but not permitted to leave

Almost as bad as the mild hazing I got as an undergrad down east. Of course being stripped naked by 4th year students, tied to a mattress and left on the lunch counter at the women's dorm has become a fonder memory with time. As will these tales. Seriously, just read that stuff above. I'm still trying to find the uncomfortable part.

Back