News   Jul 17, 2024
 380     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 586     0 

Fords Working to Fire Webster, Stintz, Scrap Streetcars: Star

anyone that rides the street cars will trade in those moving stop signs for subways any day/night.

Pray tell, what subways do you have in mind? Do you expect people who ride the Queen streetcar to take Ford's Sheppard subway as an alternate route?

I thought the Sheppard Subway was a total failure. Why does Ford want to extend it? And please give an intelligent response instead of the normal Ford bashing. What's the logic behind it?

BMO said:
I was under the impression it was against the law to move your vehicle after a collision, unless an officer shows up and says it's ok.

You absolutely can move your vehincle unless someone is injured or the cars are not safe to move (fuel leak ect)

It's not CSI. The cops don't need you to 'preserve the crime scene'.

It's fine to move your cars to the side of the road while you take down each other's insurance details rather than standing in the middle of an intersection blocking traffic.

Last edited:
I thought the Sheppard Subway was a total failure. Why does Ford want to extend it? And please give an intelligent response instead of the normal Ford bashing. What's the logic behind it?

Long story short, campaign promises.

Personally, the only extension would building on Sheppard is west to Downsview.

Some posts have been removed.

Yes, the law allows for vehicles involved in minor collisions (no bodily injury, no serious damage) to move aside. In fact, police strongly advise it. It's safer for everyone.

I would much rather TC then the sheppard subway. Id much rather a DRL then a TC. Although I am good with Eglinton. That being said I think there is a little bit of logic in connecting 3 city centres. VCC STC and NYCC. The problem is that the city centre themselves dont have enough Jobs to support the subway. NYCC easily the biggest of the 3 only has 30,000 jobs.

Hmm I think you've been misinformed.

Long story short, campaign promises.

You mean like the promise that there will be no service cuts, 100 more police officers, and that he wouldn't waste money removing the Jarvis bike lane? For the love of god, why is he so insistent on keeping the most unrealistic promise of all?

You mean like the promise that there will be no service cuts, 100 more police officers, and that he wouldn't waste money removing the Jarvis bike lane? For the love of god, why is he so insistent on keeping the most unrealistic promise of all?

It's a convenient fig leaf. Ford knows that there's no chance of a Sheppard subway happening, but as long as he keeps promising it he can get away with cutting transit elsewhere.

"Transit City? Oh, we can cut that. I'll build you Sheppard instead."

"New streetcars? Oh, we can cut that. I'll build you Sheppard instead."

"Night buses? Oh, we can cut that. I'll build you Sheppard instead."

"Wheeltrans? Oh, we can cut that. I'll build you Sheppard instead."

"It's 2014 and there's no Sheppard happening? Why, I think I have a football game to be at. I coach these high school kids, you see. Isn't it inspiring? Re-elect me while your eyes fill with tears."

Or maybe he has a backroom deal with Hudak to cancel Eglinton and build Sheppard instead. Dunno.

Hudak and Ford repotedly are not the best of friends. Maybe its possible that there is a Sheppard extension to both downsview and to victoria park. He could do it on the cheap and only have two extra stations, Bathurst and Vic Park. That would fulfill his sheppard and scarborough promise for the time being. It also gets the sheppard trains to wilson which they know is a plus.

Hudak and Ford repotedly are not the best of friends. Maybe its possible that there is a Sheppard extension to both downsview and to victoria park. He could do it on the cheap and only have two extra stations, Bathurst and Vic Park. That would fulfill his sheppard and scarborough promise for the time being. It also gets the sheppard trains to wilson which they know is a plus.

How are you avoiding a third new station at Downsview? Ford is not the type to propose creative interlining schemes.

Why does Ford want to extend it? ... What's the logic behind it?

My guess is .... completeness. It's just a stump right now. Linking Downsview to Scarborough Town Centre (mostly) completes another subways spine. You could argue that a complete route will draw more riders than a broken up route that requires a bunch of transfers.

I think that's the LOGIC behind it. The POLITICS behind it, well, that's something else ...

My guess is .... completeness. It's just a stump right now. Linking Downsview to Scarborough Town Centre (mostly) completes another subways spine. You could argue that a complete route will draw more riders than a broken up route that requires a bunch of transfers.

I think that's the LOGIC behind it. The POLITICS behind it, well, that's something else ...

Why extend the Sheppard subway? Maybe because Highway 401 runs next to Sheppard, and Highway 401 is severely congested?

The current subway doesn't attract many motorists because you need to transfer several times to get where you are going.

Ford should NOT consider stealing from other projects to fund Sheppard though.

Why extend the Sheppard subway? Maybe because Highway 401 runs next to Sheppard, and Highway 401 is severely congested?

The current subway doesn't attract many motorists because you need to transfer several times to get where you are going.

Ford should NOT consider stealing from other projects to fund Sheppard though.

Considering the Sheppard subway construction started before Transit City, I would say it was Sheppard that had it funds stolen in the first place.

Considering that Sheppard was such a costly mistake, one could look at its grossly enormous capital and operating costs as stealing funds from the rest of the TTC.

And even if an extension instantly resulted in a 50% increase in ridership, it would still be an over-subsidized financial burden that drains (or steals) funds from elsewhere in the system. More crowded buses for Finch East, Finch West, Don Mills, Dufferin, Eglinton West, Jane... But fret no more because we'll have a near-empty suburban subway line to a Scarborough shopping mall!

Back