News   Jul 16, 2024
 432     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 520     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 644     2 

Ford Wants NFL Team For Toronto

Someone could also move here.

I think the presumption is that if a team were to move here it would be via a local guy buying an existing team and moving it here. Not sure there has been any discussion of an existing, American, owner picking his team up and moving it across the border the way the Colts moved to Indianapolis or the Browns moved to Baltimore.

So whether it is a move or an expansion, the assumption is that someone is investing a lot of money. The club valuations noted above (assuming they are the Forbes valuations) include a bunch of "stuff" that would not move with the team and if you dig a bit further into the Forbes valuations, the actual teams are worth less than the headline number...but it is still a number in the +/- 1/2-a-billion range.

I think the presumption is that if a team were to move here it would be via a local guy buying an existing team and moving it here. Not sure there has been any discussion of an existing, American, owner picking his team up and moving it across the border the way the Colts moved to Indianapolis or the Browns moved to Baltimore.

So whether it is a move or an expansion, the assumption is that someone is investing a lot of money. The club valuations noted above (assuming they are the Forbes valuations) include a bunch of "stuff" that would not move with the team and if you dig a bit further into the Forbes valuations, the actual teams are worth less than the headline number...but it is still a number in the +/- 1/2-a-billion range.

ya that's why I wanted him to clarify. The idea that an owner is going to move a team a la Al Davis just isn't realistic when it comes to Toronto. Someone will have to buy and move the team.

As for the price, I still think you're looking at a billion dollars before the stadium between the purchase of the team and any sort of relocation fee that the league might want to add. I agree that the Forbes numbers aren't perfect and there have been a lot of critiques of where exactly they get their numbers from, but I think they're decent for a ballpark figure. In fact, just today it was announced that the Jaguars have been sold for $760million with is 35mill more than Forbes said they were worth. Hypothetically, if they were bought to be moved, whether all the assets involved in that valuation come with the team to a new location doesn't really matter, because you're buying the team as it is. What you plan to do with it after doesn't impact the sale.

Last edited:
ya that's why I wanted him to clarify. The idea that an owner is going to move a team a la Al Davis just isn't realistic when it comes to Toronto. Someone will have to buy and move the team.

As for the price, I still think you're looking at a billion dollars before the stadium between the purchase of the team and any sort of relocation fee that the league might want to add. I agree that the Forbes numbers aren't perfect and there have been a lot of critiques of where exactly they get their numbers from, but I think they're decent for a ballpark figure. In fact, just today it was announced that the Jaguars have been sold for $760million with is 35mill more than Forbes said they were worth. Hypothetically, if they were bought to be moved, whether all the assets involved in that valuation come with the team to a new location doesn't really matter, because you're buying the team as it is. What you plan to do with it after doesn't impact the sale.

I disagree. If Wilf of the Vikings wanted to come here, why would he sell. Why not keep the asset and make money.

Zero chance the Bills would move here? Zero?
Likely zero chance anyone else would. The Bills moving here is certainly a possibility, though I'm still waiting for the guy (can't be a corporation) willing to pay the $2 billion or more it would take to outbid a Buffalo/U.S. based buyer AND build a new stadium.

Thanks to Al Davis NFL teams can go anywhere without major compensation.
Which has led to no NFL owners moving a team here, or looking into the possibility of moving here, or even using Toronto in order to leverage a new stadium in their U.S. city.

Not to mention that was a ruling in an American court, and unlike 30 years ago there are considerably fewer if any Al Davis type owners in today's NFL. The league has systematically weeded out the renegades over the years.

Where would they even build a new stadium? Could the TTC handle 40,000-60,000 people leaving the stadium at the same time?

Rogers centre isn't really big enough for an NFL club. They also have a MLB team there who would not be best pleased to have their digs messed around with, it is marginal for baseball as it is.

Where would they even build a new stadium? Could the TTC handle 40,000-60,000 people leaving the stadium at the same time?

Build the stadium, and the transportation will come....lots of room in South Etobicoke, Portlands, Downsview, Vaughan (by the Subway line), Mississauga etc. and also we would be looking more at a 60.000-80.000 seat stadium.

Yeh, even if they spent multi-millions to somehow retro-fit the Dome it would still be at the low end for capacity. I always thought Downsview would be a good choice for a major facility- central to the GTA with public transit and the 401 right there.

Back