News   Jul 16, 2024
 333     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 622     2 

Ford Wants NFL Team For Toronto

Last edited:
???? What do you mean? They Stanley Cup was established in the 1890s. It was 100% Canadian until 1927!

The Grey Cup has not always been a wholly Canadian tradition ... or are you forgetting that the Baltimore Stallions won it no so many years ago.

The Canadian Football League is only a bit over 50 years old. They Grey Cup used to be awarded to rugby teams, and later amateur Canadian football teams. The NFL is over 90 years old. Surely CFL is the johnny-come-lately league compared to the NFL!

Hardly, to call the NFL the same as it was 90 years ago is wrong. Both games have evolved from then. To say that the 1957 "Rugby Union" was different from 1958 "Canadian football" is a huge stretch. So you don't really have an argument there.

There are 6 teams in the CFL that pre-date the NFL also, (Ottawa included).

As for wholly Canadian tradition, That team after they won the Cup, relocated to Montreal.

Last edited:
Hardly, to call the NFL the same as it was 90 years ago is wrong. Both games have evolved from then. To say that the 1957 "Rugby Union" was different from 1958 "Canadian football" is a huge stretch. So you don't really have an argument there.

As for wholly Canadian tradition, That team after they won the Cup, relocated to Montreal.

You know Mulder I was a CFL fan. Really. But I was a Ottawa Roughriders fan. I guess thats why I was so turned off - my team was folded.

Huh? Your justifying the NFL being a johnny-come-lately league because there was little change from 1957 to 1958????

Ottawa isn't even in the CFL. The previous team that folded wasn't even that old.

I've spent enough time at the Big O watching Canadian football to be aware of the history ... though the last time I attended they were called the Concordes.

That does not answer the question in anyway. Nice Deflection. Come to expect that from you.
It's a ridiculous question. No one is offering the people of Winnipeg an either/or proposition.

But if you want to go that way, then I'll say Torontonians would rather have an NHL team over an NFL team 1,000 to 1 -- as equally unprovable as your hypothesis.

I already moved on two days ago. You are the one acting like a baby. You still haven't proven how you know for sure how you know him, which is what I asked. Stop dodging and answer it.
I researched him on the internet. Pretty easy to find. In one column, he insinuated for no apparent reason (certainly nothing to do with sports) that Jets QB Mark Sanchez is gay. Now that's real expert analysis!

And you can't move on because you're still at it.

Really. According to the Star Tribune, they have to vote in Ramsey County(quick, tell me where that is) and they have until July 1, a drop dead date. They are in extra session and after July 1 the vikings are free. The Bills could also skip Toronto for LA, Jacksonville is a sore on the League and then There is the Raiders.
And if that fails, they still have proposal two to fall back on. I suggest we let it play out and see what happens.

Why stop at Jacksonville and the Raiders? Please, just list every other team.

But you already knew this right. Fool.
Name calling? There's no need for that.

It was from 1919 to 1926 . The NHL started out with 4 Canadian teams. Unless you are one of those who though Original Six meant something other than the 67' expansion. You should learn your Canadian history before lecturing others.
That's wonderful, but at that time senior amateur hockey competed with the NHL (and was better in some people's eyes). That lasted into the 1940s (or even the 50s according to some). It was during the original six era (1942-67) that the NHL truly came to be the dominant form of hockey, and 1919-26 was a faded memory by then.

And to relate this to the NFL, most U.S. football historians agree that the 1958 NFL Championship Game was when the NFL transformed itself from a regional to a true national league. Up to that time, the NFL struggled for attention, and was dwarfed by college football, baseball, boxing, horse racing, and golf, among other sports.

As for the rest, seems you are whining like a petulant child - yet again. To not know of the date exposes the truth. You are a Canadian Nationalist and not a sports fan. Be honest with yourself, stop lying and admit it.
Petulant child? No need to steal my lines, kid.

And accusing someone of being a Canadian nationalist -- are you actually arguing that is supposed to be a bad thing? Seriously???

And because you have the constant need to have the last word I will tell you this. 1. don't respond to me if you have nothing useful to say. Stop wasting my time. 2. The this is a NFL to Toronto thread, not a whine about Canadians and the CFL thread. Go make your own if you can't stay on topic.
Speaking of petulant....

And thanks for your kind "offer", but I'll respond to whatever I want in this thread (and I like it here just fine!). If you find it to be a waste of your time, that's your problem. I'm certainly open to reading whatever you post here.

I'm watching for what crap you will conjure up now in your response.
First you say I shouldn't waste your time by responding, then you say you're watching to see how I respond? Make up your mind!

On top of that, the grey cup was awarded to university teams. The CFL is really Canadian Rugby
And further on top of that, the Stanley Cup was awarded to amateur teams from 1892 to 1915, goalies weren't allowed to leave their feet, they had seven forwards on the ice, and they played 2 30-minute periods. Hockey, like football, has evolved quite a bit since then.

But don't waste your time nfitz. He is not ready to grow up yet. He is too stupid, immature and dense to understand that.
Please, I'm blushing!

I am moving on. Generation find a mirror to argue with you narcissist.
Just can't leave me alone, can you!

Now where is that mirror?

Last edited:
???? What do you mean? They Stanley Cup was established in the 1890s. It was 100% Canadian until 1927!
....when it was hardly a tradition. Ask most people what the traditional NHL was, and they'll say the 1942-67 original six era -- four U.S. teams, two Canadian.

The Grey Cup has not always been a wholly Canadian tradition ... or are you forgetting that the Baltimore Stallions won it no so many years ago.
I'd rather forget, but unfortunately it was the lowest point in the league's history, and the expansion fees collected were necessary for its survival.

But other than that blip, it's been wholly Canadian.

The Canadian Football League is only a bit over 50 years old. They Grey Cup used to be awarded to rugby teams, and later amateur Canadian football teams. The NFL is over 90 years old. Surely CFL is the johnny-come-lately league compared to the NFL!
Surely not in this country!

And I would argue that the defining moment for the NFL (i.e. when it truly became a national sport) was the 1958 title game. The defining moment for the CFL was the 1948 Grey Cup.

Everyone: I decided to revive this topic after finding a forum by,for and about the Buffalo Bills:
www.twobillsdrive.com
I found it interesting and I also noticed anti-Toronto move postings among the topics...
Are the Bills still interested in a Toronto move? If so will it alienate WNY fans?
LI MIKE

The Bills belong in Buffalo, they have a hardcore fanbase in Western NY and the traditions and fan support is already there. I would rather see Toronto get it's own franchise through expansion.

The Bills belong in Buffalo, they have a hardcore fanbase in Western NY and the traditions and fan support is already there. I would rather see Toronto get it's own franchise through expansion.

BT: I absolutely agree with you-The Bills have a strong fan following in WNY and should remain there...It would be quite a blow to the WNY physche if the Bills were to move-even as close by
as Toronto...a expansion team would be Toronto's best route to the NFL someday...LI MIKE

My opinion exactly.

Toronto needs their own team, not someone else's. Especially Buffalo's.

Yeah, it would be amazing if the NFL at the end of this season announced two future new expansion teams (Los Angeles/Toronto) for the 2013-2014 season...after what Toronto has witnessed in sports today, anything is possible.

Show me where and how Toronto will build a 60,000 seat stadium, and I'll start going along with your dreams.

Back