News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 397     0 

Ford Wants NFL Team For Toronto

LA wants a team back.

What bugs me more about going after an NFL team is what about the Argos? Would they co-exist?
I'm not a football fan and I could care less which team is where, but given that we have a struggling Canadian league (that maybe should just give it up already), I dislike the move to bring the NFL in to compete with that. And yes, I know that most CFL players are Americans.

If the Ford brothers feel the need to bring more pro sports to Toronto, perhaps they should go after a real hockey team. :)

What, the Leafs are a real hockey team and one of the richest in the NHL, they just havent been successful lately as other teams..regarding the Argos, they attract a different crowd then of those of the NFL..i wouldnt worry much about losing the Argos, they will always attract their 18000-22000 fans a game and stay put in Toronto. Hey with the NFL in Canada the CFL just might become a better league.:)

Actually half of CFL players are Canadians. And though the Argos are struggling to an extent, the league hasn't been this healthy in 25 years.

Strange that Ford, who trotted out Mr. all things Canada Don Cherry at his coming out party in Council, wants to sidestep the only (not to mention oldest) established sports team in Toronto that pays its salaries in Canadian dollars. This also makes his support of amateur and high school football in the GTA look like a farce.

Half the CFL players per average team are canadian only because of the rule that says you have to dress 20 non imports. The league is healthy and has a TV contract, but the trouble with the TiCats stadium is cause a stir. How do they handle the move to Moncton if Young gets fed up?

And once again GenerationW, you do not have to support something because it is canadian. That is actually an extremely crappy reason.

LA wants a team back.

What bugs me more about going after an NFL team is what about the Argos? Would they co-exist?

I'm not a football fan and I could care less which team is where, but given that we have a struggling Canadian league (that maybe should just give it up already), I dislike the move to bring the NFL in to compete with that. And yes, I know that most CFL players are Americans.

If the Ford brothers feel the need to bring more pro sports to Toronto, perhaps they should go after a real hockey team. :)

As mentioned the Argos cannot even sell out sky dome. 18000 is a disgrace considering the crappy Bills got 50,000 during a loss.

Actually half of CFL players are Canadians. And though the Argos are struggling to an extent, the league hasn't been this healthy in 25 years.

Strange that Ford, who trotted out Mr. all things Canada Don Cherry at his coming out party in Council, wants to sidestep the only (not to mention oldest) established sports team in Toronto that pays its salaries in Canadian dollars. This also makes his support of amateur and high school football in the GTA look like a farce.

Im sorry, your going at it all wrong..its not what Ford wants but what Toronto wants..because of his passion for football he is just resurrecting something that has been talked on for over 20 years.

Im sorry, your going at it all wrong..its not what Ford wants but what Toronto wants..because of his passion for football he is just resurrecting something that has been talked on for over 20 years.

Yeah but that Pinko Miller was actively blocking the NFL, wasn't he? He probably called it American Football, that commie bastard!

Seriously...does Ford's football fandom really have any impact of whether we get a team or not? Of course not, so who gives a shit.

Also, if anyone knows anything about the economics of the NFL, Toronto, despite it's market size, wouldn't do much of anything to improve the league as a significant portion of NFL revenue is through TV contracts. So, it's not like they're chomping at the bit to come here.
I believe Bob McCown has made the argument that if they knew then what they know now, MLB and the NBA probably would not have granted franchises in Canada. And if it wasn't for the largess of Rogers and MLSE, the Jays and the Raptors might have joined the Expos and the Grizzlies south of the border.

Rogers should pay for it.
Rogers the corporation can't since the NFL forbids corporate ownership.

And once again GenerationW, you do not have to support something because it is canadian. That is actually an extremely crappy reason.
So I guess you're supporting the movement to have Canadians only cheer Mozambique at the next Olympics.

Maybe I shouldn't support our school system since you keep avoiding capitalizing Canadian.

If today's poll at CP24 is anything to go by, the majority of Toronto doesn't want it. Which isn't to say it doesn't have some support or it can't happen, but your circle of friends isn't Toronto.

If today's poll at CP24 is anything to go by, the majority of Toronto doesn't want it. Which isn't to say it doesn't have some support or it can't happen, but your circle of friends isn't Toronto.

The comments say otherwise.

So I guess you're supporting the movement to have Canadians only cheer Mozambique at the next Olympics.

Maybe I shouldn't support our school system since you keep avoiding capitalizing Canadian.

Countries and pro sports are not the same. They are quite different. But you are not even a sports fan. I bet you didn't even know that we have canadian baseball league with a team called the Toronto Maple Leafs.

And how many times do you watch the CBC. And the NHL? I'm pretty sure its American.

And I support Ghana because I'm from there. Do you have a problem with that

I believe Bob McCown has made the argument that if they knew then what they know now, MLB and the NBA probably would not have granted franchises in Canada. And if it wasn't for the largess of Rogers and MLSE, the Jays and the Raptors might have joined the Expos and the Grizzlies south of the border.

I'm not so sure. MLB makes a lot of money off of its online product which is borderless. MLB is also the only league without a salary cap, so what the team in Toronto makes is irrelevent to what the team in New York makes, really. The NBA is struggling and the Raptors are very stabble and in a strong market. I would think a team-less Toronto would be looking pretty appetizing in comparison to New Orleans or any of the other half dozen NBA teams that are struggling.

My point regarding the NFL is solely based on the TV contracts which prop up the entire league. No other sport in North America is comparable. The NFL and its franchises have $20 billion worth of contracts sitting on the table in revenue before selling a ticket. Toronto doesn't and wouldn't contribute a cent to that. As well, in the other 3 sports (apart from hockey in Canada) national broadcasts aren't nearly as valuable or important. Local television revenues are vastly more important. So for the Raptors and Jays, I think market size would make their respective leagues consider putting teams here.

Now, obviously Rogers (and the pre-Interbrew conglomerate) and MLSE are important factors in this. They're stable owners. But a big city like Toronto should expect to have a stabble ownership group for any team here. It's rare that big cities have bad ownership in any league.

I'm not so sure. MLB makes a lot of money off of its online product which is borderless. MLB is also the only league without a salary cap, so what the team in Toronto makes is irrelevent to what the team in New York makes, really. The NBA is struggling and the Raptors are very stabble and in a strong market. I would think a team-less Toronto would be looking pretty appetizing in comparison to New Orleans or any of the other half dozen NBA teams that are struggling.

My point regarding the NFL is solely based on the TV contracts which prop up the entire league. No other sport in North America is comparable. The NFL and its franchises have $20 billion worth of contracts sitting on the table in revenue before selling a ticket. Toronto doesn't and wouldn't contribute a cent to that. As well, in the other 3 sports (apart from hockey in Canada) national broadcasts aren't nearly as valuable or important. Local television revenues are vastly more important. So for the Raptors and Jays, I think market size would make their respective leagues consider putting teams here.

Now, obviously Rogers (and the pre-Interbrew conglomerate) and MLSE are important factors in this. They're stable owners. But a big city like Toronto should expect to have a stabble ownership group for any team here. It's rare that big cities have bad ownership in any league.

Jays have a great TV contract.

Jn I have I always wanted to ask those against the NFL.(I'm on the fence now.) What is the difference between that and the Jays? What about the intercounty maple leafs? Why don't we get rid of the Jays for that? Same Concept.

Jays have a great TV contract.

Jn I have I always wanted to ask those against the NFL.(I'm on the fence now.) What is the difference between that and the Jays? What about the intercounty maple leafs? Why don't we get rid of the Jays for that? Same Concept.

TV contracts? Sportsnet would pay up along with the CBC(The CFL abandoned them remember.) I'm sure they are interested in a cash cow right?

Back