News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 829     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.7K     3 

Ford Wants NFL Team For Toronto

Could this whole NFL story be Ford's attempt to move media's attention away from reporting on the budget? There was growing concern about how this budget is being balanced and Ford was getting asked a lot of questions that he didn't want to, or could not anwser. This is a federal politician's, who shall go unnamed, favourite tactic. Don't like what the media is saying about you, throw out an absured idea, sing a song, do anything to make them forget the important issues at hand. Naw, Ford's not that smart!

Given the fact that no one really took this seriously from the start, and the fact that this has faded from the public eye in the last week or so, I doubt so.

A TTC crisis would be a better diversion.

Really? I don't doubt you but I have heard in the past TSN had some kind of a clause to guarantee the Argos and TiCats. I guess I am wrong though.

Whether it has a clause or not is irrelevant. Even a Toronto/Hamilton-less CFL would have some value for TSN. First of all it's CanCon. This is gold right now for TSN, particularly with TSN2. If TSN has any hope of expanding (and it wants to expand even further) it needs as much Canadian content as possible. Furthermore, TSN wants everything so that way the other stations don't have it. Particularly now that Bell owns TSN, TSN has more money than it knows what to do with and it is entirely in their best interest to control as many products as possible.

Whether it has a clause or not is irrelevant. Even a Toronto/Hamilton-less CFL would have some value for TSN. First of all it's CanCon. This is gold right now for TSN, particularly with TSN2. If TSN has any hope of expanding (and it wants to expand even further) it needs as much Canadian content as possible. Furthermore, TSN wants everything so that way the other stations don't have it. Particularly now that Bell owns TSN, TSN has more money than it knows what to do with and it is entirely in their best interest to control as many products as possible.

Thanks for the info.

Next question: will they pay as much for a Tor/Ham less CFL?

No, there's no chance of that at all. The NFL forbids corporate ownership. Or don't you understand that?

Do they forbid corporate ownership or is it that the controlling partner (either in terms of equity or votes) has to be an individual?

Honest question, I don't know the answer but it was explained to me that the latter is the case.

So you could have (hypothetically) a situation where "Toronto NFL LP" is the owner, and the one of the partners in the company is, say, Larry Tannenbaum who contributes, say, 30% of the equity but has voting control over the company's operations (the team) and that satisfies the ownership rules......the other 70% could be owned by (again Hypothetically) Bell who, in return for contributing more equity than they get votes, gets a sweetheart deal for, say, CTV/TSN on the local media rights.

Again, not saying this is so but that is how it was explained to me.

Do they forbid corporate ownership or is it that the controlling partner (either in terms of equity or votes) has to be an individual?

Honest question, I don't know the answer but it was explained to me that the latter is the case.

So you could have (hypothetically) a situation where "Toronto NFL LP" is the owner, and the one of the partners in the company is, say, Larry Tannenbaum who contributes, say, 30% of the equity but has voting control over the company's operations (the team) and that satisfies the ownership rules......the other 70% could be owned by (again Hypothetically) Bell who, in return for contributing more equity than they get votes, gets a sweetheart deal for, say, CTV/TSN on the local media rights.

Again, not saying this is so but that is how it was explained to me.

No corporate owners, period. The only team not owned by a person or family is Green Bay and they're community owned because that's how they've been since before the NFL existed.

Super Bowl Sunday..here it is upon us, everywhere you go they are talking about it, every Toronto TV/Radio station has something on it, huge parties all over the city...even the cops are setting up special RIDE programs to crack down on the after party drinking and driving...Its all good. Who ever said that Toronto is not an NFL supportive city.:D:)

Super Bowl Sunday..here it is upon us, everywhere you go they are talking about it, every Toronto TV/Radio station has something on it, huge parties all over the city...even the cops are setting up special RIDE programs to crack down on the after party drinking and driving...Its all good. Who ever said that Toronto is not an NFL supportive city.:D:)

Might also be that everything else on TV is either reruns or boring, at the time. I'll be watching it between commercials.

Last edited:
No doubt Rogers is saying it internally after the financial bloodbath of the Bills in Toronto series.

Tailgates and outdoor barbecues in Toronto? Where???

The Bills made money. Why is it all you anti NFL keep bringing up rogers losing money because of bad planning. The NFL can't come here because of the lack of a stadium so what are you afraid of then, and why do you need to have the last word against AG every single time?

Back