News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Ford Wants NFL Team For Toronto

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Fords want an NFL team in Toronto

The long-fumbled dream of bringing a National Football League franchise to Toronto is alive and well and living at City Hall.

“To be a world class city, at least a North American world class city, we need an NFL team,†Councillor Doug Ford, older brother of Mayor Rob Ford, said.

“Just imagine the boost to the economy and tourism — because the NFL has to, it’s not even an option — they would have to give us the Super Bowl within the first four years,†he said. “To get a Super Bowl, it would be worldwide publicity for Toronto and the tourism would be phenomenal.â€

The football-mad Ford brothers feel securing one of the pricey properties, the 32 existing franchises in the U.S. dominate the list of most lucrative North American sports teams and an expansion berth, if ever offered, would likely carry a $1 billion price tag, would be a powerful job creation plan all by itself.

Unemployment is too high across Toronto, Ford said, and it’s the new administration’s second priority after debt reduction and budget balancing.

“Right behind it, in the overall picture, is job creation,†he said. “We need to create jobs for those people and it would also send revenue up to the city on the tax base. It’s a win, win, win.â€

Keeping with the bedrock Ford value of fiscal conservatism though, Ford said no public money would be involved, either with the purchase of a team or the construction of a stadium

“What they have to do because of the environment we live in, they’ve got to dome it,†Ford said. “We’d have to make the stadium, for the Super Bowl, a minimum of 75.000 seats. The Rogers Centre is not the place to do it.

“Where are we going to put it? That’s a big question but Downsview is the most likely spot,†he said. “I think the feds would be on side in a heartbeat.â€

Jacksonville and San Diego are two teams possibly on the move, although Ford said he’s so far only talking to private investors and hasn’t opened a conversation with the league itself.

National Post publisher and Ontario gaming czar Paul Godfrey has been trying since 1988, without success, to bring the NFL to town and in 2006, late cable mogul Ted Rogers said he was angling for a team as well.

But turnouts for several Buffalo Bills games played recently at the Rogers Centre have been disappointing, which Ford blamed on a lack of commitment to a visiting franchise.

“That’s not our team, it’s like our adopted child,†he said. “If you put a team in here it would boom big time.

“They (the NFL) can’t ignore a market like Toronto, they can’t ignore it,†Ford said. “Next to New York, LA, Chicago, Toronto is the fourth lagest city in North America.â€

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2011/01/20/16969641.html

The Ford brothers are suggesting that not a single penny of taxpaper's money would used. Hey Rob & Doug, the province's and Fed's money is taxpaper's money as well. I can't image anyone in the private sector investing a billion to bring the NFL to Toronto. What this comes down to is that the Ford's are effing idiots, wasting what little brain cells they have on pie in the sky ideas, that only cater to their belief that football is the answer to all the problems in the universe.

“To be a world class city, at least a North American world class city, we need an NFL team,”

Doug Ford loves throwing around "World Class city" a lot. I wonder if he knows many cities that have NFL teams have extensive surface LRT systems?

NFL in Toronto, wow, I wonder where they came up with that bright idea? That's what I like, a mayor who has great, original ideas. And no tax-payer's money to boot. Yeah, I believe that. Can somebody explain to Ford that provincial and federal funds are still TAX-PAYER'S MONEY!

NFL in Toronto, wow, I wonder where they came up with that bright idea? That's what I like, a mayor who has great, original ideas. And no tax-payer's money to boot. Yeah, I believe that. Can somebody explain to Ford that provincial and federal funds are still TAX-PAYER'S MONEY!

As mayor, Ford is like all responsible politician, he's going to treat taxpayer's money as if it were his own. I guess he's already pick out his box seats. Or maybe he is looking at a coaching job?

Doug Ford loves throwing around "World Class city" a lot. I wonder if he knows many cities that have NFL teams have extensive surface LRT systems?
Inane transit reference aside, you're a day late and a dollar short with that criticism. Toronto pols of ALL stripes have been throwing around that phrase for at least two decades.

What no one admits is the dirty little secret behind that phrase -- the desire to transform Toronto into a city that encompasses the "best" of major American cities such as L.A., Chicago, and of course New York.

In the world of pro sports, that has involved certain prominent Torontonians getting a baseball team, an NBA team, and, in an attempt to complete the trifecta, trying to get an NFL team.

Also, Los Angeles does not have an NFL football team.. I guess they aren't world class yet.
For what it's worth (maybe not much), there's a rumour that AEG Chairman Philip Anschutz will buy the San Diego Chargers and move them to L.A. within a few years.

LA wants a team back.

What bugs me more about going after an NFL team is what about the Argos? Would they co-exist?

I'm not a football fan and I could care less which team is where, but given that we have a struggling Canadian league (that maybe should just give it up already), I dislike the move to bring the NFL in to compete with that. And yes, I know that most CFL players are Americans.

If the Ford brothers feel the need to bring more pro sports to Toronto, perhaps they should go after a real hockey team. :)

Actually half of CFL players are Canadians. And though the Argos are struggling to an extent, the league hasn't been this healthy in 25 years.

Strange that Ford, who trotted out Mr. all things Canada Don Cherry at his coming out party in Council, wants to sidestep the only (not to mention oldest) established sports team in Toronto that pays its salaries in Canadian dollars. This also makes his support of amateur and high school football in the GTA look like a farce.

So you're looking at anywhere from 500 million to a billion dollars for a stadium and an owner that's willing to spend around a billion to acquire a team. A "team" of owners isn't really allowed (one person/family has to own at least 30% of the team) and a corporation isn't allowed to own a team. And the owner can't be someone that owns another sports team (not sure if there is a percentage threshold attached to that but that could rule Tanenbaum out).

Also, if they're talking about hosting a Super Bowl, they probably need a dome. The NFL will be playing the Super Bowl in NY in 2014, but that is an exception, and a lot of people think it might be a disaster. I'm not sure what kind of clout the Ford's think they have that would entice the NFL to play its premier game in not just a cold weather climate but a whole other country, both of which have never been done before.

Also, if anyone knows anything about the economics of the NFL, Toronto, despite it's market size, wouldn't do much of anything to improve the league as a significant portion of NFL revenue is through TV contracts. So, it's not like they're chomping at the bit to come here.

Back