1.4K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 666     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 505     0 

Flying American flags in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read all the comments in this interesting thread and would like to add that I think the US flag being as prevalently shown here in Canada derives partly from a geographical proximity thing.

Also, besides the trade and tourism thing, there is the movement of workers on work permits between our 2 countries.

Flying the US Flag in Canada...and finding small flags...

Everyone: I have noticed the US flag being flown in Canada myself as well as the Canadian flag flown in places that attract Canadians in the US-more near the border but you sometimes see the Canadian flag flying proud-good to see in my eyes. An example is a high-end hotel on 5th Avenue in Manhattan near 57th Street where I see the Canadian flag flying along with the US flag.

Another thing I recall from the trips I made in the past are the 12x12 inch or so flags attached to a black plastic stick that were sold in Canadian shops-these were well-made flags at reasonable cost and I began to make a collection starting with the Canada and US flags and then Ontario and Quebec. I even got a papal flag after Pope John Paul II's Canada visit back in the 80s. I still would like to get other provincial flags of that size as well as old flags like the Canadian Red Ensign. Are these flags still available?

LI MIKE

I wonder if any Americans complain about the Maple Leaf at Buffalo's City Hall.

1583115105_ed1b6eb37b.jpg

Well, as already mentioned, you will find some Canadian flags in the border cities. Buffalo is the American city that is probably the most heavily influenced by Canada, so it's not surprising.

mustapha said:
I've read all the comments in this interesting thread and would like to add that I think the US flag being as prevalently shown here in Canada derives partly from a geographical proximity thing.

If geographical proximity is the answer, then why aren't the tightly clustered nations of Europe fly each other's flags? I don't think you can pin it down to just geography, there's a societal element as well.

If geographical proximity is the answer, then why aren't the tightly clustered nations of Europe fly each other's flags? I don't think you can pin it down to just geography, there's a societal element as well.

In Europe it isn't such a one-to-one thing. I can't think of many places where there's such a strong tie to one other country. But I have no problem picturing a German flag flying in Strasbourg (even away from the EU offices) or a Swedish flag flying in Copenhagen.

There are many, many of which at one point or another shared a nation: Norway-Sweden, Belgium-Netherlands, Czech Rep.-Slovakia, Portugal-Spain, even to an extent France-Britain, and Ireland-Britain. There is a strong sense of nationalism and identity that created many of these countries, and many fought for their independence. It wouldn't be far fetched to say that Canada (as a culture and identity) has always tried to distinguish itself in the same way as those in Europe.

Odd, I haven't noticed any American flags. Then again, I don't go downtown too much. The closest I saw was a school here in Scarborough, I forget which one exactly, which had a main hall/theatre area where dozens of flags were hung from the ceiling, it was a pretty cool sight.

this flag stuff could be dangerous business...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nONjlZ8YMkA

Honest to Christ!! :rolleyes:
This video is a prime example of why I'd never want to see Canada become part of the USA!

As for flags, I have no problem with an establishment, typically hotels, flying the US flag, British flag or whatever.
In my mind, it's a simple way that an establishment can send out a friendly message to visitors that they're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back