News   May 03, 2024
 531     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 262     0 

Fish & Chips!

From link.

Top pairings

6 of the best matches for fish and chips​

Now that fish and chips can found in every posh fish restaurant, wine has become as popular a pairing as a nice cup of builders' tea (good though that is). But which one?

* sparkling wine is always great with deep-fried foods - Champagne if you’re feeling extravagant, cava if you aren’t (Champagne’s wicked with fish fingers too!) (Or an English sparkling wine, of course as I was tartly reminded on Twitter by an English winemaker. Mea culpa!)

* a crisp Sauvignon Blanc is always a winner. So are similarly citrussy whites like Rueda, especially if you have a very sharp, punchy tartare sauce with your fish.

* smooth dry whites like unoaked Chardonnay (especially Chablis) or Chenin Blanc go particularly well if you’re serving your fish with mushy peas.

* dry perry - or cider - but I personally prefer perry (pear cider) with fish as it tastes more like a white wine. Sparkling perry is good too - on the same basis as Champagne.

*best bitter or pale ale - depending on what you call it. I’m not sure this isn’t the best pairing of all.

*black tea - with milk, of course. Another great British favourite.

Top tip: Chips rarely make much difference to a wine or beer match. Unless you slather them with gravy.

What are they serving? Lake Ontario Trout?

If it were, it would have to be caught by the store owner and sold under the table. There is no commercial trout fishery in Lake Ontario that I am aware of.
I barely drank while I was there, so no. I hadn't yet developed into the beer connoisseur that I am today!

Sticking with fish n' chips was also a method to avoid haggis.

What, not a fan of boiled innards and oatmeal?

With beer?

Would it be authentic British fish 'n chips without beer? Guess here in teetotaler Toronto, it would be root beer or ginger ale. 😄
I take my fish and chips with hot tea, milk and a little sugar. That’s how it was consumed in my British childhood.

1286397040_c7744e715b_z.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LCK
That just looks like a perfectly ruined meal.

Milk in tea? Toss it.
Ketchup on anything? Toss it.
Ok, the mushy peas look intact, I'll give you that. :p

Not much of a chance of getting fish 'n chips wrapped in newspaper these days...

fish-and-chips-960x636.jpg

From link.

If you come by and cook me up some of that fish n chip goodness, I will wrap it in whatever I have lying around, which currently is Le Monde Diplomatique which is a super broad sheet broadsheet and in French so you can feel real cosmpolitan.

@lenaitch

Milk in tea? Toss it.
Normally I never allow cow squeezings into my tea or coffee. Once you go black you can’t go back. However, as a lad my late parents used to put milk and sugar into their, and my tea, so whenever I’m feeling nostalgic I make it thus.

@lenaitch

Normally I never allow cow squeezings into my tea or coffee.
hahaha, "cow squeezings"....very nice

Once you go black you can’t go back.
Can confirm.

I used to put sugar in my tea for some misguided reason. Then, one day in first year uni, at the caf at Carleton res, I decided to try it without and I never, ever, ever again sweetened my tea after that fateful sunny day.

However, as a lad my late parents used to put milk and sugar into their, and my tea, so whenever I’m feeling nostalgic I make it thus.

I understand this, but my past experience is a bit skewed toward the negative in that I associate milk in my tea as a youth with being ill and so am especially averse to it now.

Milk in tea? Toss it.

Milk, cream, whatever (so long as it is not powered something) I can take or leave. There was a point in my life where I was drinking so much coffee with sugar it was impacting my weight. I went cold turkey on the sugar and now can't take it in either tea or coffee. I hear people ordering 'triple-triple' and wonder 'why bother', you obviously don't like coffee'.

I sometimes find ketchup helpful in cutting the greasy/oily taste in some foods, particularly some fish species. Ketchup on pickerel (walleye) is crime against humanity.
Not much of a chance of getting fish 'n chips wrapped in newspaper these days...

fish-and-chips-960x636.jpg

From link.

While not newspaper, some mom-and-pops' still wrap in newsprint (or what looks like to me anyway).

Brexiteer looking forward to getting fish and chips served in newspaper back discovers it’s a UK law

The 70-year-old woman named Christine followed in Boris Johnson’s footsteps by using a fishy example of how EU red tape has stifled Britain.​

From link.

A Brexiteer who is looking forward to having fish and chips served in newspaper wrapping back once we leave the European Union made the painful discovery that it is actually a UK law yesterday.

Phoning in to James O’Brien’s LBC radio show the 70-year-old woman named Christine followed in Boris Johnson’s footsteps by using a fishy example of how EU red tape has stifled Britain.

She said: “We used to have our fish and chips in newspaper and then it was deemed that it was wrong.

“Now, when we used to have our fish and chips in a newspaper there weren’t loads of people that went down with tummy upsets and things like that.

“It had a beautiful smell to it and I can remember that smell now and how lovely it was. “

But the EU wasn’t responsible for this law. It was actually introduced by the British government under the 1990 Food Safety Act.

The caller also came a cropper after referencing Wetherspoons as an example of why she was happy to leave the EU under a no-deal.

Milk, cream, whatever (so long as it is not powered something) I can take or leave.
An open-minded man....very good. ;)

There was a point in my life where I was drinking so much coffee with sugar it was impacting my weight. I went cold turkey on the sugar and now can't take it in either tea or coffee.
Good choice. How long has it been?
I'm at 17 years sugar-free and can't fathom how I ever did use sugar like that.

I hear people ordering 'triple-triple' and wonder 'why bother', you obviously don't like coffee'.
Depending on where said coffee is brewed, that might be a given, with or without the sugar and cream. ;)

I sometimes find ketchup helpful in cutting the greasy/oily taste in some foods, particularly some fish species. Ketchup on pickerel (walleye) is crime against humanity.
You just gave me a terrible thought: ketchup on trout or salmon. I think I would kick the bucket right then and there.

Back