News   May 03, 2024
 956     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 587     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 279     0 

Fish & Chips!

Olde Yorke Fish And Chips in Leaside is the best for me. I recommend to visit it.
I ate in there about four years ago and recall it was very good. The takeout menu looks reasonable. $48 for four fish, three fry and large coleslaw is fair. I shall try them again.
They also had British beer on tap, Boddingtons I believe. It’s very rare to find any eat-in restaurant with any British beer on tap, so more the better if it’s a fish and chips place. Most places you ask for a British beer on tap and they’ll offer a Guinness or maybe a Kilkenny... akin to telling a Portuguese person he’s a Spaniard.

IMO, takeout fish and chips should cost under $10 a serving. You can imagine my shock when I took my family of four to Off The Hook at Broadview and Danforth and with two pops my bill was over a hundred bucks. $22 for fish and chips, FFS! I stayed because it was our first time and wanted to see if this price was justified - it wasn’t, we waited for 45 min to be served whilst they expedited the takeout orders. Food arrived cold and damp.

We used to go to Duckworths on Kingston Road in the early 2000s and it was all in 11 dollars a person. Now it is around 18 a person.

The food is the same but the price has risen substantially. They are good but to be honest if I went to a sit in restaurant for under 10 dollars a person I would suspicious given the overhead and food costs involved.

The last time I ate for under 10 dollars was at Mr Tasty Fries located at Bay and Queen. I got a Hot Dog. Fries and Gravy for $6.25. It was a food truck and normally it is $8.00 a person but because of covid they cut costs to attract customers.

Even the Gingerman at VP and St Clair sells their burgers and fries for $14.00 along with T-Bones at Eglinton and Midland who sells them for $12.

The point I am trying to make is that I have never ate at a fish and chip store for under 10 dollars even 20 years ago.

Eat in should be more, but these are Covid days. I’m referring to takeout fish and chips, and that should be under $10.

Even taking out costs money for them. There is the food costs, the staffing costs (Someone has to cook the food, manage the restaurant, etc) and then overhead like rent, cleaning and things of that nature.

The minimum wage is 14 dollars an hour and a bottle of bleach of around 5. Even a piece of Halibut can ring you around 10-16 dollars a pound.

Any restaurant selling fish and chips for under 10 dollars would be losing money.

Last edited:
In the words of Apu.. "if you survive please come again!!"
Thing is, as any reader of Down and Out in Paris and London will tell you, the price of the meal is rarely an indication of quality, or even food safety. I’ve eaten street food in Hong Kong that was superior to the exorbiant fare at my grand hotel nearby. So, while even I would be suspect at $2 fish and chips, IMO $8 is fair.

As for Canada’s fish restaurants, most are either unaware or complicit that the species of fish served rarely matches the menu. Random DNA testing by Oceana Canada found that 44% of fish (including 34% of Halibut) is mislabelled. The biggest culprits are the high end restaurants, those supposedly selling the most expensive tuna, etc. Price does not indicate either quality or dependability.

Last edited:
Thing is, as any reader of Down and Out in Paris and London will tell you, the price of the meal is rarely an indication of quality, or even food safety. I’ve eaten street food in Hong Kong that was superior to the exorbiant fare at my grand hotel nearby. So, while even I would be suspect at $2 fish and chips, IMO $8 is fair.

I remember a few years ago when I visited London how much of a tourist trap Fish and Chips was. I avoided it all costs in favor of cheaper more local restaurants.

I remember a few years ago when I visited London how much of a tourist trap Fish and Chips was. I avoided it all costs in favor of cheaper more local restaurants.

When I visited Scotland for a week, all I ate was fish n' chips!

With beer?

Would it be authentic British fish 'n chips without beer? Guess here in teetotaler Toronto, it would be root beer or ginger ale. 😄

I barely drank while I was there, so no. I hadn't yet developed into the beer connoisseur that I am today!

Sticking with fish n' chips was also a method to avoid haggis.

With beer?

Would it be authentic British fish 'n chips without beer? Guess here in teetotaler Toronto, it would be root beer or ginger ale. 😄

Of course, authentic British Fish is actually Portuguese-Jewish Fish!

And French Fries belong to the Belgians!

As for Beer, the Chinese invented that one!

But that's very authentically British to wander the earth poaching good ideas, combine them and then take the credit! 🤣

(I say this as someone 1/2 Brit by descent myself)

Reactions: LCK

Back