970     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 725     0 

First visit to Ginger at Carlton & Parliament

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
My wife and I took our twin 4-year olds to Ginger for dinner last night. My motivation was two-fold - first I love trying different foods and know little of Vietnamese cuisine, and secondly, I was very pleased to see the dirty doughnut shop leave and felt the least I could do was support the business that replaced it.

The menu was great, and the prices very reasonable. My kids absolutely loved the open air dining experience, with people, buses, etc. going by. My wife liked the road racket less, and wants to come back when they've closed the garage-door like windows. Ginger is a definite positive contribution to Cabbagetown's business area.

My next visit will be to the sushi place north of the defunct Java Ville. Of course, a great sushi place already exists on Carlton, called IIRC Asahi.

OMG, people!!!

Ginger, Green Mango, Spring Rolls...they are ALL HORRIBLE!!! How can people eat those food??? They are WORSE than food court food!!!

I tried Green Mango for the first time last month....it was totally disgusting!

MajorComplainer:

Since the food from those restaurants doesn't fit your refined palette, feel free to excuse yourself from them - don't tell the rest of us what to eat, however.

Come to think of it, if I only had the option of not having to read your HORRIBLE postings with multiple exclaimation marks...

AoD

Not that I want to turn this into chowhound or anything (but there has been worse threads) but I am curious as to what Asian restaurants you do like MajorComplainer, as I would love to try them out. (The above mentioned restaurants are not always the best but they get the job done, sometimes well, for a reasonable price).

Hanoi 3 Seasons, just over the river at Gerrard and Broadview, serves excellent food at very good prices.

I think Major Complainer should be promoted to Colonel Complainer at least - or maybe even Five Star General Complainer.

Ginger

We liked Ginger too. The food was good and was not very expensive.

We found a Vietnamese/Thai place on St Andrews called Kim. Their food was excellent and very reasonable. On our recent visit we ate their twice.

I'd much rather read original complaints than complaints about complaints.

Nothing personal scarberian, but I'm not crazy about complaints about complaints about complaints, like your post, whereas complaints about complaints about complaints about complaints, like this post, are just my cup of tea.

Woah! What's with all the bashing? I was simply stating the truth!

Ginger, Green Mango, Spring Rolls, East...they are all terrible! They are what the asians called "cheating white folks with their lousy food". You see, Westerners don't eat/know much of asian foods. So they thought what they got was good. But we know better. That's why we'd never eat at those place (unless being forced to).

I can't believe you people can't take criticizm. I was going to give you guys some "authentic" asian foods around that area. But well, since you guys can't take criticizm, you guy don't deserve to eat good stuff. Just keep eating the crappy ones that you know.

And I will be just laughing. I bet you guys love Holy Chow too, lol.

And sorry about the !!! I forgot that there are many oldies here that can't handle the screaming :p

Major Complainer:

...they are what the asians called "cheating white folks with their lousy food". You see, Westerners don't eat/know much of asian foods. So they thought what they got was good. But we know better. That's why we'd never eat at those place (unless being forced to).

It's rather funny for you to make such a blanket statement, considering you don't know anything about our ethnicity, much less whether we necessarily demand authenicity in every one of our meals. The rest of what you've said is illustrative of your general arrogance and dare I say, prejudice?

AoD

Woah! What's with all the bashing? I was simply stating the truth!

Ginger, Green Mango, Spring Rolls, East...they are all terrible! They are what the asians called "cheating white folks with their lousy food". You see, Westerners don't eat/know much of asian foods. So they thought what they got was good. But we know better. That's why we'd never eat at those place (unless being forced to).

I can't believe you people can't take criticizm. I was going to give you guys some "authentic" asian foods around that area. But well, since you guys can't take criticizm, you guy don't deserve to eat good stuff. Just keep eating the crappy ones that you know.

And I will be just laughing. I bet you guys love Holy Chow too, lol.

And sorry about the !!! I forgot that there are many oldies here that can't handle the screaming :p
Looking beyond the MajorComplainer-isms, it makes sense--to a degree.

Still, even if I'm not prone to pretending it's "authentic", I don't mind a little Ho-Lee Chow now and then, at least as a cheap, inoffensive throwaway. Or rather, I *wouldn't*, were I prone to ordering takeout in the first place.

And regarding "non-genuine"; hey, I don't mind the nth-rate indigenous and corrupted now and again. Just look at Quebec relative to France...

Back