News   Jul 05, 2024
 328     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 746     11 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 420     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

But then the question becomes, if we are grade-separating a majority of the line, why not make it fully grade-separated and receive even more benefits.

But then the question becomes, if we are grade-separating a majority of the line, why not make it fully grade-separated and receive even more benefits.
The only grade separation is at the two termini. The vast majority of the line isn't grade-separated. Grade separating the majority of the line would cost $billions.

Building an underground station rather than 2 surface stops is going to save money? I doubt it. Looks more like a plan of how to save money for the next phase.

The Humber stop would have likely been pretty large too, albeit not underground. You also have to take into account the extra track that now doesn't need to be laid. The underground station also looks pretty bare bones, and barely 1 level below ground.

The Humber stop would have likely been pretty large too, albeit not underground. You also have to take into account the extra track that now doesn't need to be laid. The underground station also looks pretty bare bones, and barely 1 level below ground.

Is Humber Station even underground, or is it a trench?

My point exactly. It's about finding a balance between grade-separating the heaviest-trafficked areas to reduce conflicts, and keeping it on the surface elsewhere to keep down cost.

Exactly.

We need to grade separate wherever it is cost effective. On a large part of Eglinton West, the line might be able to be trenched under intersections. That is a cost effective way to grade separate the line. But that can't be done everywhere.

Can we not look to the Mississauga Transitway as an example of what we can do on the cheap? It's nearly entirely grade separated where needed, in the sense that it dips under or over roads, but runs in a trench or on the surface at the same time. I believe the cost is under $500 million for the entire 18km route, with 12 stations.

I think that's pretty good bang for you buck. The trenches can always be redeveloped in the future once land value increases enough to make it worth the extra work to do so, effectively creating a tunnel.

The Mississauga Transitway was partially built through a hydro corridor, and many of the more expensive features were cut, er, value-engineered out of existence. The busiest section, Rathburn Road at the City Centre Terminal, will be in mixed traffic (oh what fun on December weekends!). Much of it will be on highway shoulders because the stations and roadway were cut between Hurontario and Erin Mills Parkway. Ridership, so far, is poor. Surrounded by highways and hydro towers and the sound-proofed backyards of single-family homes, development opportunities aren't very promising.

I wouldn't cite the Mississauga Transitway yet.

The Mississauga Transitway was partially built through a hydro corridor, and many of the more expensive features were cut, er, value-engineered out of existence. The busiest section, Rathburn Road at the City Centre Terminal, will be in mixed traffic (oh what fun on December weekends!). Much of it will be on highway shoulders because the stations and roadway were cut between Hurontario and Erin Mills Parkway. Ridership, so far, is poor. Surrounded by highways and hydro towers and the sound-proofed backyards of single-family homes, development opportunities aren't very promising.

I'm not saying every part of the transitway + the operation is something to look up to... simply using it as an example of how the LRT can be sped up by dipping under roads where needed, but remain on the surface for most of the route. Finch isn't that dense that this would be impossible, and the ROW in most areas is wide enough that the roadway can be shifted to the south to allow for the LRT to operate in the North, where it would create the least amount of disruption.

Dip under the busiest intersections only, and stay on the surface for the smaller/less traveled ones.

How does the ridership compare to the projections?

I'm not saying every part of the transitway + the operation is something to look up to... simply using it as an example of how the LRT can be sped up by dipping under roads where needed, but remain on the surface for most of the route. Finch isn't that dense that this would be impossible, and the ROW in most areas is wide enough that the roadway can be shifted to the south to allow for the LRT to operate in the North, where it would create the least amount of disruption.

Dip under the busiest intersections only, and stay on the surface for the smaller/less traveled ones.

Finch is also pretty well suited to that, since the major arterials are 2km apart. In areas like Eglinton West (Etobicoke) and Eglinton East (Scarborough) the major N-S arterials are only 800m apart. Many fewer major intersections to negotiate, and much easier to get up and down the required grades without it being like a roller coaster.

Back