News   Jul 05, 2024
 561     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 922     11 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 457     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

The LRT could always route directly through the campus and cross the valley on its own elevated right-of-way to hit the Queen's Plate/Rexdale intersection:

Attachments

• Finch West.png
    Finch West.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 310
id prefer the line to stay on major routes. anyways students are typically young and should be able to walk from a stop on 27 to the college, it isn't far. Ive never taken transit to the hospital but maybe I would. But even then if im on transit it must not be that bad and good chance ill make it to the hospital from here.

id prefer the line to stay on major routes. anyways students are typically young and should be able to walk from a stop on 27 to the college, it isn't far. Ive never taken transit to the hospital but maybe I would. But even then if im on transit it must not be that bad and good chance ill make it to the hospital from here.
You're assuming that every person that visits the Humber College north campus is young and able-bodied. And is a student.

Professors, mature students (my mother has taken courses at Humber before), young student in wheelchairs, etc.

We should be making transit accessible to everyone. And I know some people are going to say "transit isn't a social service!" But it has to be accessible to everyone regardless.

you cant have a stop everywhere. The Subway is maybe 100 meters from my house but i am on a side street. All my neighbours are elderly. Should we be building stops for them too. I'm not a cruel person and I am sensitive to peoples needs but how did people even get to their bus stop based on this logic. Surely if they could walk, bike, wheelchair to the buss stop then they can wheelchair, bike, or walk from the bus stop/lrt/streetcar stop as well.

Id also like to add that just because someone is 60/70/80 doesn't mean that they cannot walk or arent able bodied. At my work a 93 year old man walks from Jane and Bloor to Runnymede and Annette for breakfast weekly.

As Napolean said in the stop spacing thread "if they can't walk 100 meters to transit, I'm not sure how useful the transit system is going to be for them."

Humber College is a major destination. Putting the LRT station away from the college is dumb. This isn't a side destination or some dinky private college.

My problem is routing lines off the major roads. Once you randomly veer off on one line then someone else is requesting treatment on another line. I know it would be a minority of people but it would be annoying to want to go to the corner of 27 and finch and for whatever reason not make it there without getting off and walking because the line curves. This is no different then the rt line going in some random route which was the cheapest to get to stc but misses you riders which were not Mccowan. But hey call it dumb. That's constructive to the conversation.

My problem is routing lines off the major roads. Once you randomly veer off on one line then someone else is requesting treatment on another line. I know it would be a minority of people but it would be annoying to want to go to the corner of 27 and finch and for whatever reason not make it there without getting off and walking because the line curves. This is no different then the rt line going in some random route which was the cheapest to get to stc but misses you riders which were not Mccowan. But hey call it dumb. That's constructive to the conversation.

Getting away from 27/Finch may be a good thing in this case, because that would be a painful intersection to make the left turn at. The routing down past the hospital makes much more sense. The 27/Finch intersection isn't a destination per se - if people are going there it is to transfer to a bus to somewhere. That can be accommodated with the right rerouting/transfer points for bus routes around there. So in this case, it makes sense.

Routing thru Humber College rather than close to it is a very good idea.

- Paul

Obviously residential doesnt get the same ridership but those big box stores at finch and 27 are ripe to be torn down and condos built if a LRT gets here. Or perhaps Humber could buy out the big box stores and build there themselves. Another note is that if Humber wanted transit to be a priority they would have built at an intersection which could at least be accommodated. But like many of my friends who move to the burbs they bought and built because of cheap land and then complained that they would take transit if it served them at their doorstop.

Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to build a sheltered (possibly fully enclosed) walkway between the college itself and the LRT stop on Highway 27. It could either be at ground level, or elevated like the bridge connecting Yorkdale subway station to Yorkdale mall. The bridge would likely still be significantly less than the additional station at Humber + the extra trackage required. The station could be built in the median of Highway 27, with the bridge connecting with a centre platform (with an elevator for accessibility).

Humber students then get climate controlled access to the college, and everyone else gets a faster LRT ride.

As Napolean said in the stop spacing thread "if they can't walk 100 meters to transit, I'm not sure how useful the transit system is going to be for them."

The extra walking wouldn't be so bad if the hwy 27 area wasn't such an ugly and unpleasant place. This is not a lovely walk like at U of T. But that being said, if a stop at Humber College is not possible anymore then that's understandable.

That's an option, too.

The only concern is that the Humber stop will need a loop to support such operation. The train veers west off Hwy 27, pulls closer to Humber Bus Terminal; then we should not expect the driver to run to the opposite end of the train to drive back towards Hwy 27. Hence, a loop is needed.

No loop is planned. Crossovers, like they have on the heavy-rail subway, would be used. For speed, they can change operators at the terminal. The arriving operator can get a washroom break, while the departing operator drives off. They can change shifts, if needed.

New video from Metrolinx:

Back