News   Jul 30, 2024
 971     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 658     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

The Finch West LRT is such a no-brainer. Very appropriate higher-order transit system for that route based on ridership and destinations.

Sheppard East is actually pretty much the same, but becomes more contentious as there is a subway system on part the corridor. If for some reason the Sheppard LRT was to not get built, I would hope that money would go towards completely building the Finch LRT from Yonge to Humber College (instead of the truncated Finch West).

My friend is John Torys campaign manager, he does not want to cancel them. That is a misunderstanding and reappropriation of what he said by his opponents.

Then why doesn't John Tory say that?

He has the finished Spadina line and Scarborough Subway on his map but he does not show Finch or Sheppard. A very minor tweak to add Finch/Sheppard LRT would remove any doubt.

My friend is John Torys campaign manager, he does not want to cancel them. That is a misunderstanding and reappropriation of what he said by his opponents.

To be fair, John Tory tried to foster misunderstanding of Chow's position on the DRL, so it's hard for me to feel any sympathy for him. But there's one thing I would like to clarify: is it true that Tory wants to delay the LRTs even further so that the smart track becomes the main priority? If that's the case, how is that any more comforting than simply cancelling it altogether. The longer it gets put off, the more likely it will never get built anyway.

Sheppard East has way, way more development on it than Finch West. The amount of condo development along the existing Sheppard subway is so large, its density is comparable to many sections of Yonge St. The only reason the Sheppard subway is underused is because of its short length, like other very short subway lines in other countries. Also the lack of new office development at Yonge/Sheppard because of high commercial tax rates. If office space in this area grew to the same size as the area near Wilshire & I-405 in Los Angeles (an area kind of similar to North York Centre but which has several times as much office space; a subway along Wilshire, which is the LA equivalent of Yonge St, is proposed but hasn't been built yet) then Sheppard subway extension would make a great deal of sense. The Sheppard LRT is a pretty bizarre proposal which only makes sense to David Miller, and the unpopularity of this proposal is the main reason that Rob Ford was elected.

Finch West will never attract much development west of about Bathurst because it is the lowest income area in the GTA. Sheppard East ranges from high income west of the 404 and medium income east of the 404, so it has a better ability to attract condo development.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ce...2!3m1!1s0x80c2bbf2e8f4dfab:0x745acb74f412cb7a

This is the corner of Westwood Blvd and Wilshire in Los Angeles, just south of UCLA and just east of I-405. Lots of office buildings here, at "Century City" further east, and also just west of the 405. The amount of office space in the Westside of LA is almost as large as downtown Toronto, more than Downtown LA and many times the amount of office space in North York Centre. There is no subway here yet, but Metro wants to extend an existing subway west to the VA hospital just west of I-405. This is what North York Centre would look like if it grew to several times its existing size.

Finch West is very different from Sheppard East because Finch West is a very poor area, so likely to attract people who work in low paying jobs in North York Centre but very few office workers. Sheppard ranges from wealthy west of the 404 to medium income between the 404 and Kennedy so it will attract condo developments where office workers might live.

People seem to love to claim things about candidates that they didn't say in order to make them look bad:

Examples:
Tory: will cancel Finch & Sheppard LRT
Chow: is against the DRL

Neither has been said candidates themselves, they are often only said by people who oppose those candidates.

This misinformation is repeated over and over until it becomes "true" to some people.

Tory never said he'd cancel FWLRT & SELRT, but they are missing from SmartTrack map. That was definitely a calculated decision. Tory really has only himself to blame if people thinks he wants to cancel them.

Tory never said he'd cancel FWLRT & SELRT, but they are missing from SmartTrack map. That was definitely a calculated decision. Tory really has only himself to blame if people thinks he wants to cancel them.

There's a difference between not having it on the SmartTrack map and saying "I will cancel those lines".

There were also no stations for the Eglinton LRT on that map. That doesn't mean that he would have a transit line without stations lol.

People looked for anything to criticize they could about that map. For example, they assumed that the map shows what stations there will be. Of course we don't know what stations there would be, they haven't started studying the thing at all yet. Just because the map shows something doesn't mean it can't change through the design and study process.

People seem to love to claim things about candidates that they didn't say in order to make them look bad:

Examples:
Tory: will cancel Finch & Sheppard LRT
Chow: is against the DRL

Neither has been said candidates themselves, they are often only said by people who oppose those candidates.

This misinformation is repeated over and over until it becomes "true" to some people.

Tory has released a map with Finch & Sheppard LRT omitted and members of his campaign have come out against them. <http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/john-mraz/john-tory-toronto-mayoral-race_b_5604284.html>. He has flip flopped about the DRL and now seems to be against it because he thinks that GO expansion ("SmartTrack") is a higher priority and the DRL is too expensive.

Chow has never said anything positive about the DRL or about GO expansion. The only types of transportation she supports seems to be LRT, buses and bike lanes.

Tory has released a map with Finch & Sheppard LRT omitted and members of his campaign have come out against them. <http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/john-mraz/john-tory-toronto-mayoral-race_b_5604284.html>. He has flip flopped about the DRL and now seems to be against it because he thinks that GO expansion ("SmartTrack") is a higher priority and the DRL is too expensive.

Chow has never said anything positive about the DRL or about GO expansion. The only types of transportation she supports seems to be LRT, buses and bike lanes.

Tory has never said "I will cancel Finch & Sheppard LRT", as Ford has.

Chow has never said "I am against the DRL".

That last sentence you wrote is a very Ford-like way of thinking, that a given candidate has to be for or against a given transit technology. I really doubt any candidate is "against" subways, and just because you support some LRT projects or buses doesn't make you "against" subways or GO.

There's a difference between not having it on the SmartTrack map and saying "I will cancel those lines".

There were also no stations for the Eglinton LRT on that map. That doesn't mean that he would have a transit line without stations lol.

People looked for anything to criticize they could about that map. For example, they assumed that the map shows what stations there will be. Of course we don't know what stations there would be, they haven't started studying the thing at all yet. Just because the map shows something doesn't mean it can't change through the design and study process.

He did say Finch and Sheppard "should be a part of the greater conversation" though.

Why do Finch and Sheppard need to be part of the greater conversation, unless Mr. Tory wants to interfere in their progress like he does with the DRL ? We already have a funded plan. Quit talking and start building.

Back